More Zen questions
Oct 24, 2003 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BeeEss

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anybody uses the Nomad Zen wired remote. I was wondering what kind of functionality it provided; I'm sure volume and track forward/back, but what else? Can you browse through the playlists, etc with it? Does it have a power button?

Also, how do you get the player to stop? There's no 'stop' button - I have been just turning the power off, but I was hoping there was a better way.

(I'm sure I will have more quesitons later, I'm waiting for my CD's to rip...
redface.gif

thanks. --b

Oct 24, 2003 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 17
i own a zen usb2 60G and i am really happy with it, the sound is fantastic, but the remote unit is for me just a piece of plastic.

the display just let you see the current song information, so you just can work with the list of songs in the queue. it has a stop button (added feature to the zen) , but no power button.

Oct 24, 2003 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 17
..but no power button. [/QUOTE]

You can in fact turn the Zen on and off with the remote. Hold down "stop" on the 4-way pad, for 2 seconds.

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 17
BeeEss, I take it you finally took the plunge and bought a Zen 2.0. How do you like it so far?

The remote for the Zen doesn't let you control the unit as much as say the one for the iRiver iHP. However, it is still quite powerful and pretty useful if you keep your Zen in a bag or on your belt, like do.

First, you should set up your playlist/now playing queue using the main unit as you can't do that with the remote.

You can use the remote to power up (holding down play/pause when the Zen is off) or power down (holding down stop when the Zen is on).

When playing tracks, the remote does all the basic stuff like play, pause, stop, forward, rewind, and volume asjustment. You can also turn the EAX on and off but can not change it (you'll need to go to the main unt for that).

With the radio, you can store up to 30 FM channels.

With the voice record, you can store up to 10 hours at a time. Hold down play (for a couple of seconds for it to start) and hold down stop to save your voice file. You can also use the remote to playback the last voice file you recorded. You'll have to use the main unit to delete files and to adjust the recording gain.

The remote also has a lock button in case you accidently press any keys.

Not to alarm you, but my original remote recently shorted out (after about 2 months of usage) and I just received a replacement one this week. For some reason, everytime I moved the wire a certain way, it would cause the music to jump and flicker.

As for stopping a track with the main unit, yes there is no stop button. You really don't need to fully stop a song since the Zen is playing a digital file from memory and hitting pause is just like a stop button.

However, to fully stop a track you press 'pause' and then press "reverse" or "forward." If you press reverse, then the Zen will will stop at the beginning of the song you were just listening to. If you press forward, then the Zen stops at the beginning of the next song (normal play) or a random song (shuffle play) in your play queue.

I hope that helps you out.

Good luck!
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2003 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks a bunch!

GSTom1: Yeah, I actually received the Zen 2.0 60GB as a gift
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
So far I am very pleased with it. It really sounds much better than my old solid state player. Thank you for the information on the remote - I think it will be a good investment for me; I can leave the player in my pack and still have some control.

Thanks for the information on the 'stop' feature also. Pretty cool stuff.

Well, looks like it's time to rip a bunch more albums. Maybe by this time next year I will have everything encoded
rolleyes.gif

--b

Oct 25, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

GSTom1: Yeah, I actually received the Zen 2.0 60GB as a gift

Hm....was it a gift from your grandparents for your birthday ? Just curious.

Quote:

Not to alarm you, but my original remote recently shorted out (after about 2 months of usage) and I just received a replacement one this week. For some reason, everytime I moved the wire a certain way, it would cause the music to jump and flicker.

How wierd. I returned my NJB3 for just this reason, yet no remote was involved. It did exactly what you described. Move just a little bit, and the volume would drop, or song would skip/get sketchy. I always wanted to know why it did that. Was such a shame to return such a great sounding product.

Oct 25, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Hm....was it a gift from your grandparents for your birthday ? Just curious.

No... let's just say I have a VERY cool SO.
biggrin.gif

That's weird about the remote shorting out - I'll let you know about the mileage I get on mine when I get it in.

--b

Oct 27, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by BeeEss
Well, looks like it's time to rip a bunch more albums. Maybe by this time next year I will have everything encoded
rolleyes.gif

--b

I had 22GB of music encoded when the backlight on my Zen died and I had to return it for another unit. Unfortunately, I did not have the hard drive capacity on my home computer to back-up the music before I sent in my Zen. I even made a request to try and get the same unit back, but unfortunately that fell on deaf ears and all they did was swap my Zen with another unit.

So now I've be spending the last 3-4 weeks ripping & encoding music like crazy (my GF thinks I'm spending way too much time on the computer) and I'll be caught up by the end of this week.

frown.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 17
i have the same problem as gstom1 too. the remote flickered and caused my player to do weired stuff like skipping tracks randomly and go into voice recording mode.

other than that, the remote provides radio, power on/off, mic, eax on/off and basic play functions like forward/rewind/stop/play.

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by DigDub
i have the same problem as gstom1 too. the remote flickered and caused my player to do weired stuff like skipping tracks randomly and go into voice recording mode.

other than that, the remote provides radio, power on/off, mic, eax on/off and basic play functions like forward/rewind/stop/play.

If it’s still under warranty (yeah I know…90 days is really really really short), I would call Creative Lab’s, get an RMA number and send it back. They’ll exchange it for another one and give you a 30 day warranty for that new remote.

If you’re past the warranty, have you considered opening up the remote? I suspect that it’s a loose wire or something like that.

frown.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by GSTom1
If it’s still under warranty (yeah I know…90 days is really really really short), I would call Creative Lab’s, get an RMA number and send it back. They’ll exchange it for another one and give you a 30 day warranty for that new remote.

If you’re past the warranty, have you considered opening up the remote? I suspect that it’s a loose wire or something like that.

frown.gif

i might bring it back to creative for an exchange, since i live pretty close to creative hq.
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by DigDub
i might bring it back to creative for an exchange, since i live pretty close to creative hq.
tongue.gif

Their North American headquarters is in the Bay Area right? Their repair center is located in of all places Stillwater, Oklahoma. I guess the rent/taxes are cheaper out there.

rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by GSTom1
Their North American headquarters is in the Bay Area right? Their repair center is located in of all places Stillwater, Oklahoma. I guess the rent/taxes are cheaper out there.

rolleyes.gif

i stay in singapore - the home of creative.
biggrin.gif
i have a friend working in there too.
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Their repair center is located in of all places Stillwater, Oklahoma.

No kidding? Huh, how about that. Only about and hour and a half away from home. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back