More vocals and warmness, please advice
Mar 27, 2019 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

sfchun

New Head-Fier
Hello to you audiphiles experts :wink:

I am relatively new in terms of audio setup.
I came across FiiO e2k + HD599, then K3 + HD660S.
I realized quickly but still too late :) that these setups were not good enough to my expectations...
HD599 has the best comfort I've try untill now, it's perfect for gaming on my PC, but not my taste when listening audio...
HD660S balanced, was a step above in term of listening, but one down in term of comfort ...

Learning from my mistakes, I decided to upgrade my audio setup, and went to shops where I could listen to different headphones with DAC/Amp before I decided if I would buy or not.

Before exposing my request, here is my profile, which will help you to better understand the context :)
Current audio setup :
- PC (usb) -> DAC/Amp Aune S6 Pro (XLR) -> Focal Clear
- listening lossless (flac) formats as much as possible, but still have some 'bad quality' mp3 in my library.
No CD, SACD or Vinyl records.
- Music style : I can listen to easy listening, Jazz, Classic music from time to time, but mostly I go for pop/rock/dance/...
I avoid rap.

This is not the perfect audiophile profile I admit, but these are my tastes :)

Here is how I made my opinion on what to buy from what I tested.
I excluded the Klipsch Heritage : too heavy, sound was too much agressive to my ears.
I excluded the Grado SR325 headphone : It has a very nice warm signature on lows but the highs were hiritating (not good quality, too agressive).
I hesitated a long time between the 3 following ones :
HD800, Focal Elear, Focal Clear.
HD800, best comfort, overall nothing much to say regarding its quality, but ... not forgiving on low quality files, and maybe too neutral sound.
The Focal Elear, bring something on the table that I did not get from the HD800 and Clear, voicals were more present ! which I realy apreciate, sadly there was a counter part... Bass were also too much present ...
So taking all parameters in consideration I went for the Focal Clear, it was the better choice overall.
Nice comfort, forgiving on low quality, and nice sound (not agressive in any ways).

This being said, I still have a strange after taste... like something is still missing ...
My setup seems somehow too neutral...

Here is my questions, keeping in mind that I hook myself to balanced input/output ...
Can I get a little bit of Grado's warmness ?
Can I make the vocals more present without compromise ?
If I add an dedicated AMP to the setup, will it help in anything ? I mean does the sound signature comes mainly from the headphone, or AMP does realy matter ?
I thought of using Aune S7 as AMP , and my S6 Pro as DAC/PreAMP

I guess Tube amp would bring warmness to the sound ... but I'm ignorant in this topic, I'm not sure I want to deal with lamp quality, and life time ...

I'm a bit lost in fact...

Any advice, idea is welcome !

Best regards,

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 52
Well Anything and everything can make a difference.I had hard time finding what I want, even tough it was simple to put in words, Natural, but apparently that depends from person to person and often people think neutral.

Basically you say sounds too neutral, which part? Like you have an actual idea?
I found that to my ears HD660S vocals were forwards, but at the same time had this artificial tonality to it. On the other hand I got LCD2C and the vocals are less forwards, at least for females, but the tonality is soo good. That is what I call Natural! That is what audeze is trying to do and it works for my ears... Albeit I probably can't go higher tier, because those are no longer as forgiving for poor recordings? There is always a trade off or compromise, just have to find one that you can live with. In any case try something that seems like it may not be it and you might end up surprised. Like Audeze for example. :) If you can live with the drawbacks so to say and there will be some, who knows. Good luck!

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 52
Hello thanks for your message :)
Yes, it's fun for me to read that some others will think HD660S feels not neutral, when it is for me from what I experienced ...
It's so subjective thing ... depends of your ears, and past listening experiences...

I would rephrase my question as follow :
from your point of view, which dedicated AMP bring out the vocals more, and some warmness ?
then once I get some references, I'll check the reviews online ... and then try to give it a try in shops to make up my mind :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 52
ZMF headphones=warmth and great mids.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 52
unfortunate me !!!
Few hours after posting here , I run an issue with my headphone !! it's crackling ...
See know issue : https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8ssxbo/focal_clear_snapcracklepop_in_audio_tests/

I'm not sure I'm ready to accept the official answer from Focal : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...iew-measurements.867615/page-46#post-14229116

I guess this solve part of my question here ! :)
I'll bring it back to the shop ! and get another brand ... (dont want to take the risk of getting a new one and run this issue later on ...)

@FastAndClean thanks for your advice, but I already own an HD660S which I'm not happy with... comfort is not great, it hurt me when listening for some hours ... :/ HD650 has exactly the same shape.

@Monsterzero Thanks for your advice, I'll take a look at this brand :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 52
Audio Quest Nighthawk. A strong natural warm sound, good for vocals and acoustic instruments.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 52
Currently, I'm building a short list of headphones I should try to listen (hoping they will be available in shops)
- fostex 900mk2
- ZMF Aolus, or Auteur
I know HD920 is available, I did not try it cause usually I prefer open headphones, but I will stay openminded and try it out.
I also keep in mind the Quest Nighthawk mentioned earlier, but its build quality seems to be not so great compare to others.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 52
The build quality of the Nighthawk I had was good. I actually kept the earpads to fit on my other headphones as they are one of the most comfortable set of earpads i've ever worn.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 52
Currently, I'm building a short list of headphones I should try to listen (hoping they will be available in shops)
- fostex 900mk2
- ZMF Aolus, or Auteur
I know HD920 is available, I did not try it cause usually I prefer open headphones, but I will stay openminded and try it out.
I also keep in mind the Quest Nighthawk mentioned earlier, but its build quality seems to be not so great compare to others.

I ditched my HD800s for HD820...let just say soundstage is not a huge difference for me to consider the HD800s over HD820 bass.

I'm not a bass guy, but the Sennheiser HD820 bass is THE right amount.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 52
@Law87 thanks for your advice, I will deffinitly try it.

Also, sadly ZMF seems to not be available in shop in Paris ... So I wont be able to hear it ...
If anyone had the chance to listen it and the fostex TH900, and can give an honnest comparision ?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 52
Fostex TH900 = Bass galore, if you love bass thats the one you would consider both quantity and quality, it slam pretty hard. thats the most prominent thing I remember about it, and its a close-back not open, not sure if you knew that.

in comparison to HD800, it seems like the HD800 had absolutely no bass.

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 52
Yup I heard it is a whide stage close headphone so I was wondering :)
If it slam hard then ... I might not like it ... but I'll still try it just for its look, and we never know, I might be surprised.

If I'm not mistaken, the Fostex TH900 would then be considered as a V shape ?? a bit like the Klipsch Heritage ( I hated this one, it was too sharp ) ?
If I want better vocals I should stay away from V shape am I right ?

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 52
You stated that you where looking for warm natural sound for vocals which is why I recommended Audio Quest Nighthawk. You are going to be disappointed with HD800, hd820, HD660 and the other Focals. You are completely looking in the wrong place. Don't say I didn't warn you :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back