More tube fun with my X-Can
Oct 13, 2006 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MayorSimpleton

100+ Head-Fier
I've been really enjoying the (new manufacture) 6N1P and 6N1P-EB variants with my v3 after being disappointed with 6H23-EB and actually fairly happy with the stock Jan's, but I still felt the urge to push on.

So I ordered some of the vaunted 6H23P-EB which are still in the post, and also scored some NOS 6N1P-EB from 1972 which I got 4 of very cheaply and which arrived yesterday.

Seems like 35 years makes all the difference.

So, they've only been burning in for 16 hours so far and I do have a hangover but I've got to tell you, I can't quite believe what I'm hearing! They seem noticeably better across the whole range than anything I've tried before. Most obvious is the bass which is fuller, punchier, but still tight and with tone. The highs are slightly extended, clear, crisp and have a 'bell-like' quality, and imaging seems much improved although I don't see how that can be - they almost give my MS2i a soundstage! There is air and space around the music and silence is dark and black. They don't seem coloured but the whole range has a warm, clear 'timbre' or musicality or something to it which I am really loving. I'm so surprised. They seem to be working especially well with my MS2i's which are really singing like I've not heard before.

I'll give you an update in a day or two when they are fully burnt in - but if what I'm hearing now is anything to go by, I think the search could be over!

Pluck

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I too like the 6n1p tubes! I like the non EB types better. The 6n1p-eb tubes are tonally better but the 6n1p tube seems to do so much better with soundstage/air that it beats the eb types(imo). The 6n23p's I heard were nowhere near the 6n1p's.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt-Pluck
I've been really enjoying the (new manufacture) 6N1P and 6N1P-EB variants with my v3 after being disappointed with 6H23-EB and actually fairly happy with the stock Jan's, but I still felt the urge to push on.

So I ordered some of the vaunted 6H23P-EB which are still in the post, and also scored some NOS 6N1P-EB from 1972 which I got 4 of very cheaply and which arrived yesterday.

Seems like 35 years makes all the difference.

So, they've only been burning in for 16 hours so far and I do have a hangover but I've got to tell you, I can't quite believe what I'm hearing! They seem noticeably better across the whole range than anything I've tried before. Most obvious is the bass which is fuller, punchier, but still tight and with tone. The highs are slightly extended, clear, crisp and have a 'bell-like' quality, and imaging seems much improved although I don't see how that can be - they almost give my MS2i a soundstage! There is air and space around the music and silence is dark and black. They don't seem coloured but the whole range has a warm, clear 'timbre' or musicality or something to it which I am really loving. I'm so surprised. They seem to be working especially well with my MS2i's which are really singing like I've not heard before.

I'll give you an update in a day or two when they are fully burnt in - but if what I'm hearing now is anything to go by, I think the search could be over!

Pluck

Can you share where you purchased your tubes?

Are the 6N1P-EB's the Saratov (Oval with bar logo), or Voskhod (Rocket logo) tubes?

Same question for the 6H23P-EB's? Are you sure these are different that the 6H23N-EB's, and not just a different interpretation of the curlic characters?

Oct 13, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Can you share where you purchased your tubes?

Are the 6N1P-EB's the Saratov (Oval with bar logo), or Voskhod (Rocket logo) tubes?

Sure, I got them from this Russian 'bayer - he's got another lot of three. Get them, I'd love to know what you think! They look to me like Saratov, with the older 'diamond on it's side' logo rather than the Oval logo.

The standard, recently manufactured 6N1P and EB variant were the best tubes I'd tried until now, but these old ones are significantly better. They seem to synergise really well with my MS2i's - they sound wonderful and there is probably still more to come with proper burn-in.

Quote:

Same question for the 6H23P-EB's? Are you sure these are different that the 6H23N-EB's, and not just a different interpretation of the curlic characters?

I haven't got the 6N23P-EB's yet so I don't know what the logo is. I'm happy that 6N23P-EB's | 6H23P-EB's | 6H23N-EB's etc etc are all exactly the same - like you say all just different interpretations of the cyrillic alphabet. My hunch is that the tubes with the 'western' style characters were made for export whilst the ones with cyrillic characters are for home market. The ones on their way to me have cyrilic. Either way, I will be astonished if they are as good as these NOS 6N1P-EB's....

Pluck

Oct 13, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 5
I've had a load of these 6N1P-EB for a few years now (actually they're 6H1N-EB) diamond logo and date stamp, some 1969 some 1972 and a few 1976. All brand spanking new and very nice sounding indeed.

Glad you like them pluck
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back