More specific Grado question
Aug 15, 2003 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MaxHeifetz

Head-Fier
Hello again,

For my Ipod, I was wondering if I should start with the SR80's or just jump the ladder to the SR225's. Would there be any noticable difference on that unit? Thanks.

Aug 15, 2003 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 8
I think it would make a difference -- the improved air flow with the SR225 should improve 'soundstage' and sense of openness/airyness, independent of the quality of the source. Besides, it's almost certain you'll be using them with something else, somewhere else eventually. Might as well get the better cans now instead of later (if you can afford it) since upgrading always involves leakage of $$.

Aug 15, 2003 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 8
If you plan on buying an amp for it, then yea, go for it. If not, you may want to consider the sr-60 instead. The 80 likes an amp, but doesn't need one too bad, but the 225 needs one more.

Aug 15, 2003 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 8
I've used both amp and unamped off the iPod. There is a difference in both senarios between the 80's and 225's. I say get the latter. The iPods output is pretty decent for a portable. As mentioned you can always grow with them. The 225's do sound significantly better with an amp.

Remember though, the RS-1's are considered by some to be "the best sounding headphones without an amp" and they're even higher up the Grado ladder.

Also keep in mind, neither is exactly the most portable phones out there. Their leakage and cord length/non-flexibility are issues you'll have to deal with.

Aug 15, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Grado SR225 come with the big plug and won't fit your iPod without a [bulky] adapter. The SR60 & SR80 have mini plugs and will work fine. To my ears, the SR80 sounds better on the iPod than the SR60. It has better bass.

Aug 15, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Grado has a 1/4 to 1/8 "in-line" adapter that's not too bad for bulk. Try not to use those regular adapters from Radio Shack because it will put too much strain on the iPod jack.

Aug 15, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by raynegus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Grado SR225 come with the big plug and won't fit your iPod without a [bulky] adapter. The SR60 & SR80 have mini plugs and will work fine. To my ears, the SR80 sounds better on the iPod than the SR60. It has better bass.

The adapter plugin is minor compared to the headphone cord itself. If you can deal with that complication that the extra 6" is nothing.

Aug 15, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Other than the plug issue, which may not be an issue to you, I would say go with 225's. Your going to want them eventually anyway. I couldn't decide between 225 and 325 so I just waited until I could afford the RS-1
rs1smile.gif
I am very happy that I jumped over all the upgrade-itis and went straight to what I really wanted. Buying used from a memeber here helped a bunch also. So, if you are considering the 225 why bother with the lower model. They may not sound their best unamped but they should be better than the SR80. (no experience with these phones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back