More portable equivalent of AKG Q701?
Feb 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SpartyOn

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of AKG Q701 headphones and I am looking for one with a similar sound signature thats slightly more portable. I am looking for one that wouldnt need to be powered by an amp. I would also be looking for one that would be on ear or over the ear. Just not as large as the Q701. Thanks in advance

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 7
AKG K167.

Not that it sounds all that similar to the Q701 since no headphones really do, but I think the sound signature is relatively close. A dip in the lower mids & slightly forward (plasticky?) upper mids. A lot of detail in the treble with a slight bass boost. It's a nice sound, really.

Now, I know there's a large number of people who bought these during their pre-release hype to find their headphones broken within a month due to weak plastic hinges, but I've been re-assured by AKG that they strengthened the hinges in later production runs. The only other thing that might put you off is the silly design, or maybe you don't like tiesto. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 7
I thought KNS8400 had some tonal similarities to K702 to my surprise. Both are analytical and crisp. The bass quantity is more like Q701. But soundstage will be smaller on KNS8400 as it's closed.

A word of warning: the stock cable bears noise into the earcup, so expect to replace it. (I've read that the K450 and Q460 cables fit.)

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the responses! I looked at the Tiesto headphones and they seem extremely large to be portable. I was also looking at the sennheiser amperiors but they are no longer on sale .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back