More oomph in low end; JVC FW10000, Final A8000 or Dunu Luna
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

toughnut

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm having the itch and in pursuit of best single dynamic driver IEM. Currently using FW10k for over 6 months and the only thing I sometimes wish is higher sound pressure in the low end. Something like Solaris but with better details/definition, if that's possible. For those who had auditioned/experienced all 3, which is best for the low end region? Any other single dynamic driver to recommend?

I know best fit-for-all-genre IEM doesn't exist due to different ear shape and sound preference and I'm not looking for that.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm having the itch and in pursuit of best single dynamic driver IEM. Currently using FW10k for over 6 months and the only thing I sometimes wish is higher sound pressure in the low end. Something like Solaris but with better details/definition, if that's possible. For those who had auditioned/experienced all 3, which is best for the low end region? Any other single dynamic driver to recommend?

I know best fit-for-all-genre IEM doesn't exist due to different ear shape and sound preference and I'm not looking for that.

dynamics rule, great choices

might add EAH-TZ700 to ur list, as another TOTL dynamic...not much info that i can find, but the frequency response is insane (3hz to 100khz, single driver)

watching this thread, id be super interested in a TOTL dynamic-only ultimate comparison

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 4
I currently have the Dunu Luna EU tour unit with me and don't think it will satisfy your craving for more "oomph"
It's brilliant in it's dynamics and bass quality, the quantity I hear neutral with a slight roll off in the sub bass.
I briefly heard the FW10k about 14 months ago but don't remember enough to make a comparison, but based on graphs it should be very similar with actually better extension.

The EX1k is another interesting single DD that has comparatively warmer sound with better oomph, is great value if you can get a decent deal and if you can tolerate the 5kHz spike, which sometimes can stand out unpleasantly.
But it's slower and more relaxed that the Luna, and I suppose also the FW10k.

I was myself thinking as well if there's a similar option with a little more low end, but could only think of the IER-Z1R and that's not a single DD, has a little issue with recessed mids, my ears are to small and it costs even more.

Did you try EQing?
I tried a simple EQ with the Luna but found that increasing the bass reduced clarity and separation.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 4
I currently have the Dunu Luna EU tour unit with me and don't think it will satisfy your craving for more "oomph"
It's brilliant in it's dynamics and bass quality, the quantity I hear neutral with a slight roll off in the sub bass.
I briefly heard the FW10k about 14 months ago but don't remember enough to make a comparison, but based on graphs it should be very similar with actually better extension.

The EX1k is another interesting single DD that has comparatively warmer sound with better oomph, is great value if you can get a decent deal and if you can tolerate the 5kHz spike, which sometimes can stand out unpleasantly.
But it's slower and more relaxed that the Luna, and I suppose also the FW10k.

I was myself thinking as well if there's a similar option with a little more low end, but could only think of the IER-Z1R and that's not a single DD, has a little issue with recessed mids, my ears are to small and it costs even more.

Did you try EQing?
I tried a simple EQ with the Luna but found that increasing the bass reduced clarity and separation.

I had M9 for a while and also tested Z1R twice. One of my early impression (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r.886120/post-14778560). I'm happy with FW10K's sound. It just sound realistic yet fun. But there's also those few moments when I crave for more bass and usually due to recording itself. EQ can fix that, definitely. The issue is the itch that's keep coming back after a while :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back