More like Modest Mouse, Libertines, The Shins, The Kills, Pinback?
Mar 24, 2005 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Rodent

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, these are some of the artists I've been listening too, and have liked, lately.
My favourite albums are;
MM - Good News for people who love bad news
MM - The moon & antarctica
Pinback - Summer in abaddon
Libertines - The Libertines
The Kills - No Wow
The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the monkey house
The Fiery Furnaces - EP
The Shins - Shutes too Narrow
The Shins - Oh, inverted world
Zero7 - When it falls down
The Zutons - Who killed

Okay, now that you know what kind of music I like, maybe you could recommend something similar?
I don't want something too slow and dull, there needs to be some fun and speed to the songs.

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 22
I assume you mean 'when it falls'? Anyways, nice taste with the Zero7.
wink.gif

If you have not heard modest mouse's 'lonesome crowded west' that should be your first stop... definately my favourite album by him. Also have a listen to the Ugly Cassanova album.
smily_headphones1.gif

Zero7's first album 'simple things' is worth hearing as well. It is very different from 'when it falls' though, so it may not be your thing. For more music like this I suggest checking out the artists on www.tripofagia.com as it has a very good listing of trip hop. Wax Poetic might be a good place to start for a similar sound.
cool.gif

Since you are looking for fun and speed, give The Junior Boys a listen. If you like that you can try The Notwist and Styrofoam.

Mar 24, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 22
Looks kind of like my playlist
smily_headphones1.gif

There's been a lot of threads in recent times that have gone down very similar trails so I won't offer up much here, but have you heard the Autolux Future Perfect CD from last year? Some posts about it here, but it's kind of like Pinback but from more of a My Bloody Valentine angle. Really good CD that stands up well to repeat listens.

And that whole Franz Ferdinand/Futureheads/Bloc Party/Dogs Die In Hot Cars UK scene is very hot and hyped now with all the XTC/Gang of Four/Jam/Buzzcocks mixed with your favorite disco band type of sound. I like em all, as well as the Libertines (although I liked their first one better), but I can see how many would think it smells a little stale. Definitely give the new Bloc Party a spin if you haven't already fallen for the hype. Do you have some of the classics like Gang of Four Entertainment!, or the Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady, or all those Clash albums? The 1995 GoF remaster by Andy Gill is aces. Just listened to it yesterday.

If you wanna go back a few years, pick up Girls Can Tell by Spoon. Kind of a modern indie rock classic in many of our minds. Woulda coulda shoulda been huge, and probably would have in an earlier time. What a great sound. Kinda reminiscent of the Jam, maybe mixed with some Elvis Costello and even a touch of Nirvana and a little Pavement to bring it into the 90s. It's got wonderful lyrics and and it rocks and it even sounds pretty nice. At times understated and at other times anthemic. What a timeless album. What a modern classic! Just a really satisfying album. Makes your body twitch and the corners of your mouth curl into a smile, even if you aren't conscious of it at the time.

Definitely agree on the Notwist Neon Golden. My favorite album of the last decade. Just loaned it to a friend and will have a hard time getting it back since both he and his wife seem to be spellbound, having not realized music like that was even still being made today. Modern classic and very nice, uncompressed sound from Chris Blair and Abbey Road.

Been listening some to that new Kills CD myself and liking it a lot. Even used a couple tracks on a new compilation I made for a friend called No Joy No Wow No Art. Kind of like early PJ Harvey fronting the White Stripes with Meg replaced by an old casio. Very dark and cool. If you don't know her, check out the debut from PJ called Dry. Great album and one of my all time faves. Very raw and dynamic. Sounds great, almost like a live recording. The latest from Carina Round called The Disconnection is also very reminiscent of that classic Harvey sound, although more produced and modern sounding.

New British Sea Power will be out soon. Really looking forward to that since I loved the first one. Tons more, but you get the picture. Hang around and you'll hear about all kinds of great music here.

Mar 24, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent

Zero7 - When it falls down

Well, my suggestions don't fit the upbeat category, but if you like Zero7, two of their vocalists have solo albums... Tina Dico and Sia (Fuller), and you can check out some of their live performances here:
Sia's KCRW performance
Tina Dico's KCRW performance
Definitely more laid back, but both albums are solid efforts.
Similar to Zero7 might be Esthero's Breath From Another. It's a pretty varied album with a little bit of everything. Shivaree's latest, Who's Got Trouble? is another album that moves along pretty well.

And the last one I'll throw out is Pretty Girls Make Graves album The New Romance. It's an excellent rock album.

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Definitely agree on the Notwist Neon Golden. My favorite album of the last decade.

Yeah, it is a great album. Have you heard Shrink? It is also quite good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 22
Hey Rodent, just noticed you're from Sweden. Man, one of my favorite bands is your own Moonbabies. What a great sound they have. Do you know their two albums? Both great with a lot of Beatles meet Yo La Tengo sound. Definitely give a listen to The Orange Billboard if you missed it last year. One of my favorites of the year.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/rev...ange_Billboard

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Yeah, it is a great album. Have you heard Shrink? It is also quite good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not yet, but I keep meaning to. Guess they've got a new one coming soon. Of course, got my fix last year with the very nice Lali Puna album, but not quite the same magic as Notwist
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Not yet, but I keep meaning to. Guess they've got a new one coming soon. Of course, got my fix last year with the very nice Lali Puna album, but not quite the same magic as Notwist
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree about Lali Puna, they are fun live though. The lead singer from the Notwist plays Bass for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you havent checked it out, Styrofoam is also very good - especially their newer stuff. 'i'm what's there to show that something's missing' and 'nothing's lost' are both very nice. On 'nothing's lost' there is a track with Ben Gibbard as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Go Find which are an alter ego of sorts for the Styrofoam crew are pretty good as well, but not in the same league in my opinion.

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 22
Not the same but similar enough stuff that I like:

The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts, Her Majesty, Picaresque, etc
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Walkmen - Bows and Arrows

Mar 24, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 22
For all the Notwist lover's out there DL a song by Alias called "Unseen Sights." It's vocals from the singer of Notwist with sort of Dntel beats. Very good.

If you like Pinback you will probably like most of the other bands in that San Diego scene. Check out...

Rob Crow - He's one of the guy's from Pinback
3 Mile Pilot - Best album IMO is "Another Desert Another Sea"
Black Heart Procession - Albums 1,2 and 3 are all good but very depressing. Amore De Tropico is marginal.
Systems Officer - It's a combo of the 3 Mile Pilot and Pinback sound. I think they only have an EP out right now

Some other band's you might want to check out are...

Built to Spill - All their albums are good.
Archers of Loaf - White Trash Hero's
Earlimart - Everyone Down Here. The song "The Movies" is insane!

Mar 25, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
If you have not heard modest mouse's 'lonesome crowded west' that should be your first stop... definately my favourite album by him.

QFT.
wink.gif

'Lonesome Crowded West' is my favorite MM album too (by far), you might also like 'Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks' ... It's kinda short, but good.

I noticed the Shins on your list, no Shins collection is complete without their first CD - before they were "the Shins," they were called "Flake Music," and FM's CD 'When You Land Here, It's Time To Return' is quite good. Also, the Shins' 'Nature Bears a Vaccum' EP is really good, but vinyl only.

As for new bands, have you ever heard Sunny Day Real Estate? Or Death Cab for Cutie?

Mar 25, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
QFT.

Well I checked acronym finder and found the following: Qualified Funeral Trust, Quantitative Feedback Theory, Quantitative Fluorescence Technique, Quantum Field Theory, Quantum Fourier Transform, Quest For Tech, Inc, Quoted for Truth

I'm assuming you meant the last one?
icon10.gif

I actually don't think I've heard 'Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks'... wonder if the Wife has a copy of that. If not, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.
wink.gif

EDIT: Rodent - my Wife also suggests that you listen to Ugly Cassanova and maybe Blockparty. [I havent listened to them yet myself, but she seems to really like them]

Mar 25, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 22
I've only heard Bloc Party's EP, not their full-length, but it is quite good. They're supposed to be the next big thing in the indie world. Philodox's wife is hipper than him, joking lol et cetera.

Mar 25, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Philodox's wife is hipper than him.

When it comes to the indie scene most definately.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back