More like Mezzanine?
Feb 24, 2006 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

dulath

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy folks. Been listening to Massive Attack's Mezzanine for a couple of months now on my Grados and I love it. Is there anything else similary dark and bassy from the same artist, or maybe different artists?

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 32
Check out Portishead. I'm partial to the self-titled CD and the live one in New York. It is dark trip-hop at its finest.

Obviously, other Massive Attack, though I think "Mezzanine" is their best.

Bjork occasionally takes me to a similar place, though not for a whole album. Check out "Homogenic" and "Post."

Bryan

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dulath
Howdy folks. Been listening to Massive Attack's Mezzanine for a couple of months now on my Grados and I love it. Is there anything else similary dark and bassy from the same artist, or maybe different artists?

Scorn - EVANESCENCE

Golden Palominos - DEAD INSIDE

Morcheeba - WHO CAN YOU TRUST?

Laika - SOUNDS OF THE SATELLITES

Halou - WISER

God - POSSESSION

Bill Laswell - DUB CHAMBER 3

Ben Wa - DEVIL DUB

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dulath

Check out their album "Blue Lines" I got all their albums and thats my favorite.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 32
Hooverphonic-A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular
Sneaker Pimps-Becoming X
Lamb-Lamb
Gus Gus-Polydistortion
Smith and Mighty (buy anything by them, these were the real starters of Bristol, Dub-style Trip Hop)

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 32
Yes MA Mezzanine is greatness, try these darkwave classics also:

Delerium
Semantic Spaces
Collide
Beneath the Skin
Chasing the Ghost

Kidney Theives
Zerospace

This Mortal Coil
End in Tears
Filigree & Shadows

Love Spirals Downwards
Temporal

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Laika - SOUNDS OF THE SATELLITES

Yeah, brilliant stuff, but not really that dark. The first two Tricky albums had much of that darkness, but with more of a paranoid feel, though not as epic and lush sounding as Mezzanine. But they do have Martina. For a slightly more dance feel, but still a 90s classic from the time of MA's previous Protection, check out Leftfield Leftism. Guest vocals by John Lydon and Curve's Toni Halliday, among others. Or more recently from the late 90s, that great The Contino Sessions by Death In Vegas. Very dark, with guest vocalists like Dot Allison and Jim Reid and Iggy Pop. Or from a different angle, maybe those first two Tindersticks albums? Very dark and moody, but a less electronic sound. Some of the Dead Can Dance albums fit in that category as well. Something like Into The Labyrinth, or Within the Realm of a Dying Sun. Or that amazing instrumental album by Robert Rich, Seven Veils. Incredible recording.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 32
I would definately recommend picking up the rest of massive attack's collection in this order:
blue lines
protection
100th window
they are all awesome but blue lines is my favorite

as far a similar...closest thing for me would probably be Thievery Corporation, everything else that I have heard in the trip hop/electronica genre is a slightly deviated from the 'massive' sound.

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Kidney Theives
Zerospace

yes! i really need to get their other cd...
frown.gif
@the break up...i loved their dark sound

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 32
A lot of good stuff mentioned... one that I haven't seen is Mono (not the Japanese band) - Formica Blues. Very much like Portishead, but they sample David Sylvian, and that's cool.

I would also recommend Ekova. Great stuff that captures the dark beats with a pretty creepy voice at times.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by astaireboy
I would also recommend Ekova. Great stuff that captures the dark beats with a pretty creepy voice at times.

yeah Ekova is good, but i wouldn't necessairly call them "dark" in sound, but definitely worth checking out nonetheless along with Dierdre (the singers solo album)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back