More like Little Feat
Aug 19, 2007 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Denim

500+ Head-Fier
OK music guru's, help me out.
biggrin.gif

I love Little Feat, but I think I've picked up just about every CD they have put out. Where to go from here? I'm not looking for another band with the same sound, I doubt that exist. But knowing their style, who else would you recommend?

I have a good pop/rock collection covering the 60's to the 80's or so. It thins out a bit after that.

Help?

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Not sure if a similar style or not but a band that was around at about the same time in history that I associate together, along with some other bands is The Band.

As far as Little Feat is concerned, they are still touring and you can find there live recording on Live Music Archive. I'm listening to a show from 11-13-06 as I type. You may have all the cds but not all the music they have out there. There are live recordings going back to 1976 which would include Lowell George.

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if a similar style or not but a band that was around at about the same time in history that I associate together, along with some other bands is The Band.

The Band sounds too country for me to listen to for any length of time. But then again, all I have from them is Vol 1 Anthology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as Little Feat is concerned, they are still touring and you can find there live recording on Live Music Archive. I'm listening to a show from 11-13-06 as I type. You may have all the cds but not all the music they have out there. There are live recordings going back to 1976 which would include Lowell George.

Good info!! A local radio station has been advertising an upcoming concert in the area. I knew they still toured, but didn't know about Live Music Archive.

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 11
The Drive By Truckers might be a good fit. Hard rocking, with a healthy dose of southern twang, and pretty kickass guitar players. Less jammy/jazzy than Little Feat, but still great. Check out Decoration Day or The Dirty South.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 11
Big fan of those early Little Feat records. Strange to think about it now, but I even saw them open for the Who on the last tour before they lost Moon. Fun band. Sounds like you probably already have most of the well known stuff by their contemporaries like The Allman Brothers, but what about this one?

d77238131a0.jpg

Everybody on this board probably has at least one recording with David Lindley in the credits on guitar or any number of stringed instruments or arranging since he has worked with almost everyone from the Bangles and Bread to Bob Dylan and Ben Harper, and even appears on the Holly Cole Don't Smoke In Bed album I saw mentioned in another recent thread. His own album with his El Raxo-X band is great, and features some very good musicians including some vocals by his buddy Jackson Brown, who he helped tremendously shaping the sound of those early albums with his guitar playing and arrangement skills.

Something from more modern times that I've probably mentioned a few times here, not really like Little Feat, but still I think something you may like, is Paul K. & the Weathermen Love Is A Gas. From 1997, and a little reminiscent of another guy that uses only a "K" for his last name on record, Tonio K. And his sound also has ties to Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground (Moe Tucker produced and played some drums along with Wilco's Glenn Kotche) and PK dedicates it to David Ruffin [Temptations] and Sterling Morrison [Velvet Underground], and comparisons have been drawn to Merle Haggard and especially Townes Van Zandt by others, and there's some of the Replacements, and also some of his musical brother, Greg Dulli from the Afghan Whigs. But K's songwriting and voice and guitar playing are still the big attractions. This is really a beautiful album of finely crafted songs with lots of guitars - highly recommended. Readily available on the used market, but also still available in both CD and inexpensive vinyl from Alias Records.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 11
So what part of their style catches your fancy? Their style was a combo of New Orleans funk, Blues/R&B, country/rock. Don't know of any groups that have the Little Feat sound. The sig. sound is the slide guitar and piano.

Bonnie Raitt
Ry Cooder
Robin Lacy & DeZydeco
Robbie Robertson (from the Band)
ARS
Duane Allman
Some of the Greatful Dead
The Radiators
The Subdudes
Jackson Browne

all have some influence attributed to Lowell.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Good replies!

I'm loaded with Allman Bros, Drive-by Truckers & Jackson Browne. I'll look into David Lindley and Happy Camper's list.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I've tried to isolate the sound that attracts me to Little Feat. Can't quite put my finger on it. Their blend of rock just does it for me, and always will. Kind of like that Ribeye I cooked on the grill last night. By itself, it was great, but add the wifes mushrooms in sauce, and it became spectacular!
icon10.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Three words..."Donna The Buffalo." "Live at The American Ballroom" is a great disc...

I'm trusting you on this one. We shall see.

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 11
I saw Little Feat w/ George and the Destroyers about 6 yrs ago. Quite an eclectic mix in the crowd. I gave the nod to Little Feat. They were second act and after the raucous crowd thinned for George, it was very relaxing. For not having LG, they sounded very origional. George seems to attract abusive drinkers for some reason.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
George seems to attract abusive drinkers for some reason.

LOL! I can see how abusive drinkers would be drawn to George. Billing his band with Little Feat sounds a bit odd. I guess they wanted to hit opposite ends of the sprectrum. They both have blues, but they are worlds apart. To me Little Feat is a bit like some of Jimmy Buffett. (after giving it some thought) I would think that most parrotheads would like Little Feat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back