More like Apostle of Hustle and/or Broken Social Scene
Sep 20, 2010 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

moriez

Headphoneus Supremus
I enjoy these guys melodious, funny, quirky and lighthearted music. Could anyone who knows them recommend me similar stuff?

Spanks
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Forgiveness Rock Record is probably my favorite CD from this year, and You Forgot It In People is a modern classic, so this is from a big BSS fan...

If you don't know it yet, Caribou (formerly Manitoba) Up in Flames is a great record with some similarities to BSS. One of my favorites from the 00 years, playing main rotation right now in my car, as it often is, pretty much has it all, spacey and poppy, kind of like the psychedelic side of the Beatles, maybe a big beat version of Spiritualized or (especially) Yo La Tengo. The song "Jacknuggetted" even borrows from YLT's "Sugarcube" (one of the coolest songs of all time ), at least that's what it sounds like to me in the vocal parts, although it never quite falls into that rousingly infectious chorus that makes it a crowd favorite at YLT concerts. But it takes off in a different direction. And it's chaotic. The music sounds a little bit like a simile of the cover of Sgt. Pepper's. Actually, the first couple songs do sound a bit like the Beatles, even some "Lucy In The Sky with Diamonds" in the second one maybe. But that closer, "Every Time She Turns Round It's Her Birthday", really makes for a strong finish. Nearly eight minutes of epic sounding, electronically enhanced melodic pop that rises above pretty much everybody else doing similar music, at least those I've heard. It seems to combine everything that is good about the album into one song, collecting all those influences from the Beatles and Beach Boys and Mercury Rev and Yo La Tengo and Spiritualized and Fat Boy Slim and Moby and many others into one big happy family-style plate of yummy food for the ears. Pretty cool stuff.

The song "Jacknuggeted" does sound a bit like "Cause = Time" from BSS You Forgot It In People, and there are some other similarities between the two albums, in addition to the Yo La Tengo connection already mentioned. And running throughout is a sound not unlike Spiritualized. The two bands seem to have many of the same influences and the Manitoba guy has a voice not dissimilar to Jason Pierce as well. Both get very spacey and many parts of this album sound kind of like something from Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, my favorite Spiritualized vintage and one of my favorite albums of the last couple decades. But like this Manitoba album, it also combines a strong dose of the later psychedelic Beatles with more current influences like My Bloody Valentine. Although one could probably argue that My Bloody Valentine was heavily influenced by not only those same Beatles and Beach Boys and VU, but also to a lesser extent by that same Jason Pierce, now of Spiritualized but back in the early 80s as part of Spacemen 3. But who knows where some of these people get their inspirations and what is new and what is borrowed.

So most of the records I mentioned, and a few others like ...

Caribou (formerly Manitoba) - Up In Flames, Andorra
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
Yo La Tengo - Electr-o-pura / I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
Moby - Everything Is Wrong
Notwist - Neon Golden
Laika - Sounds of the Satellites
Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Wheat - Hope and Adams
Enon - High Society
Moonbabies - The Orange Billboard
Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs
Pinback - Blue Screen Life
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 12
Tunng. They're similar to BSS with the big band and instrumentation but I found them easier to get into than BSS. Their 2010 album "And Then We Saw Land" is great and so is their previous release "Good Arrows".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back