More information about Sennheiser HD 598s
Dec 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DarkRift5

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Looking into buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s for listening to music. They've got glowing reviews, but I have a few questions.

Also it should be noted that I listen to rock and electronica (mostly trance). 

1. Is the bass better with an amp? 
2. What is this crackling issue that I've heard about? 
3. How much of an improvement are they over my current pair, the Audio Technica ATH M50?
4. Can you change the cord? 10ft/3m is too long for me, something like 4.5 ft (1.5m) is better. What size cord does it accept?
5. How much noise does it "bleed" out? I know it's open backed, and I've got earbuds for public listening so as not to disturb others, but if it's basically a pair of speakers you mount on your head... no. As a point of reference, the set I use for games/editing are Astro A40s, which are open-backed, but you can't hear them outside of about 6ft(2m or so), which I find acceptable.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 4
  Looking into buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s for listening to music. They've got glowing reviews, but I have a few questions.
Also it should be noted that I listen to rock and electronica (mostly trance). 
1. Is the bass better with an amp? 
2. What is this crackling issue that I've heard about? 
3. How much of an improvement are they over my current pair, the Audio Technica ATH M50?
4. Can you change the cord? 10ft/3m is too long for me, something like 4.5 ft (1.5m) is better. What size cord does it accept?
5. How much noise does it "bleed" out? I know it's open backed, and I've got earbuds for public listening so as not to disturb others, but if it's basically a pair of speakers you mount on your head... no. As a point of reference, the set I use for games/editing are Astro A40s, which are open-backed, but you can't hear them outside of about 6ft(2m or so), which I find acceptable.

The Senn HD598 are not bassy headphones and no amount of amplifying will change that.
There is bass, it's just not a lot.
The cracking issues was from years ago, which they seem to have fixed.
The HD598 should be better then the ATH-M50 in everything, but bass.
You can order custom cables ($20) for the HD598 off eBay, 1.2m, 1.5m, 1.8m.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 4
  The Senn HD598 are not bassy headphones and no amount of amplifying will change that.
There is bass, it's just not a lot.
The cracking issues was from years ago, which they seem to have fixed.
The HD598 should be better then the ATH-M50 in everything, but bass.
You can order custom cables ($20) for the HD598 off eBay, 1.2m, 1.5m, 1.8m.

Thanks for the reply. What size cable does it use? Or is it specially-made?

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks for the reply. What size cable does it use? Or is it specially-made?

The stock factory cable is 10" or 3m (meters), you can order the custom cable, 1.2m, 1.6m, 1.8m, from the eBay seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?var=560215640800&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Users who are viewing this thread

Back