garbage
sleater-kinney
the a-frames
neutral milk hotel
modest mouse
bloc party

might want to check out these three albums:

the national - alligator [low-fi meets laid-back garage, great for rainy days]
spoon - gimme fiction [sparsely layered instrumentation paired with killer hooks and start-stop rhythms]
the decemberists - picaresque [theatrical folk-rock that soars; very well-recorded to boot]

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 12
ive seen interpol and bloc party live, love those guys, neutral milk is pretty fantastic to say the least, checked out the spoon from a previous recommendation and just got done listening to that album, definitely the hooks are right on.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 12
Some other indie bands that might catch you ears:-

Doves - Check out Black and White Town or Some Cities

Arctic Monkeys - Check out Fake Tales of San Francisco; have me call the new Libertines

Go! Team - A indie, fun and catchy electronic band that at times sounds like the theme music from the cartoons when we were younger ala Transformers or Thundercats.

Dogs Die in Hot Cars - Another fun band that don't try to take themselves seriously. Check out Lounger or I Love You Cause I Have Too. In my opinion they're are better than Kaiser Chiefs, though not getting the attention they deserve.

Jun 18, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 12
Or my personal favorite, the Brian Jonestown Massacre. They've even got some ogg-encoded albums for download. Think psychadelic/alt-rock with a mentally, erm, colorful frontman
rolleyes.gif

As Anton has a tendency to crank out discs like there's no tomorrow, your best bet in getting started on BJM would be to pick up their best-of. I've got it and absolutely love it. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes to rock (go ahead and preview the tracks). It's a much more solid collection of tracks than any of their individual albums.

Jun 19, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiez
Doves - Check out Black and White Town or Some Cities

hey, sorry for this late reply. anyway, the only thing keeping me from owning some cities is the *W&$^*&^@ copy-protection!
rolleyes.gif

copy-protected cds are a no-no for me as they simply cannot work in my PC-based rig.
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 12
i am an indie rock whore. i'll post some recs later though... too tired ATM

Jun 19, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 12
Alright let's see...

Half-Handed Cloud - Thy is a Word and Feet Need Lamps

Amazing concise album...with perfect quirky pop songs. Varied instrumentation keeps it interesting throughout especially with the dozens of hooks founds in each song.

Boredoms just released a limited edition cd on Vice. As always, amazing.

Maximo Park...imo more likeable than Franz, Future, and Bloc. In the same vein of rock. On Warp Records??? Yeah, kinda weird.

Team Sleep...side project from lead singer of deftones. A bit more ambient. Really good stuff that I like. I always said that when Minerva hit the airwaves it was the only thing on the mainstream that was worth any of your listening time.

Saxon Shore just released a new one. Always a pleasure of instrumental goodness.

Hmm...theres too much music to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back