More Important: Quality of DAC chip or the RMAA measurement?
Nov 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I'm buying a new source but I have a dilemma.

One uses a better quality DAC while the other measures better with RMAA measurements using the same sampling rate.
Which source should I go for?

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
So, I'm buying a new source but I have a dilemma.

One uses a better quality DAC while the other measures better with RMAA measurements using the same sampling rate.
Which source should I go for?

in what way is it better quality if it measures worse at the settings you will use it at ?

or do you mean that the chip measures better but the overall systems measures worse ?

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 7
 Who cares if a single chip measures better if the circuit as a whole measures worse?  Get the one that measures best, or if they're both beyond level of audibile distinction anyway the cheaper of the two.

Which two are you looking at anyway?

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
 Who cares if a single chip measures better if the circuit as a whole measures worse?  Get the one that measures best, or if they're both beyond level of audibile distinction anyway the cheaper of the two.

Which two are you looking at anyway?

The Asus Essence ST vs. the Keces DA-151 MK3. Of course the Keces is more expensive. the Keces measures better but has a PCM2702 DAC chip vs. the Essence ST which has the PCM1792A DAC chip. However the Keces measures better:

That said, I can't opamp roll as much with the Keces as I can with the ST/STX. If I do get the ST (need PCI over PCI-E), I plan on getting 2 x OPA2111KP's until I can afford 4 x OPA637 (they're single channel opamps and the circuit requires dual channel opamps) on Browndog adapters.

sampled at 48kHz

Keces

vs. the Essence ST / STX (see the 48kHz measurement)

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 7
I am going to suggest that those measurements, while different from each other, show that neither device has any glaring deficiencies in measured performance. The differences indicated would be below what is typically considered the threshold of audibility for most people. Not that I am saying they sound the same, but just that the difference indicated by the measurement process does not clearly point to a obvious choice.

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 7
The Keces numbers look like they're for 24/48, and you don't have those conditions for the STX. RMAA typically doesn't get numbers that good for DR unless it's at 24- or 32-bit mode. Load the original 16-bit test file and you'll see what a "perfect" score for 16-bit looks like. It doesn't seem as if the the Keces and the STX were measured with the same gear, or even the same version of RMAA, but it might not make a difference: with those kinds of figures, both playback devices could be effectively transparent if you're listening to music. You're not putting your audio through several generations of play-record-play-record cycles. With some kinds of equipment, it could take many DAC-ADC passes before you hear a difference in the recordings.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 7
^ exactly, but there is at least a 24/96 column for the STX with similar performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back