More expensive - your cans or your speakers?
Feb 14, 2009 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

rocker

100+ Head-Fier
For me speakers are a way more important investment than cans - I would happily spend $500 on a pair of wicked phones but would easily spend upwards of $3000 on speakers. My speakers are worth 2G and I'm still searching...at least with headphones the choices are fewer for true high end.

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 19
speakers worth a lot more,but got them for a lot less
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have posted - cans or car which costs more.

Hahhaha I'd bet a lot of people have more in their audio equip than their car.

My speakers I got on sale w/ my employee discount for $65
My cans/setup are worth like 15x that
My car puts my stuff to shame, 2006 Audi S4

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by csommers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahhaha I'd bet a lot of people have more in their audio equip than their car.

I DO! Started a new thread - I had to!

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 19
My headphones, without a doubt.
The SR-007BL is probably worth 3 times as much as my speakers.

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 19
For me I may never own audiophile speakers as I enjoy headphones way more than I even did speakers. For me, speakers just blow the music past my ears, When I listen to headphones, thats it, its just me and my headphones, so much more intimate. I have 3000-3500$ wrapped up and I may never stop!!!!!
Kevin

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 19
If you have a lot of zeros on your bank account, so you may just go for the speakers. And it is very easy to spend 10k on a basic speaker system setup, but the SQ might only catch my 1k headphone system.

Of course, I can't dance while listening.

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me I may never own audiophile speakers as I enjoy headphones way more than I even did speakers. For me, speakers just blow the music past my ears, When I listen to headphones, thats it, its just me and my headphones, so much more intimate. I have 3000-3500$ wrapped up and I may never stop!!!!!
Kevin

Yea thats the same experience I have as well. I've heard speakers that were VERY expensive, and they sounded great. But for me its all about the experience, and I have a much better one with headphones.
dt880smile.png

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioTroll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speakers worth a lot more,but got them for a lot less
biggrin.gif

I'm in the same boat. My speakers were a gift to me from a neighbor after her husband passed away, so I paid nothing for them. The surrounding gear associated with them, though, cost me far more than my headphone stuff.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 19
not really sure, I paid more for the speakers than I did 'phones, but list MSRP is about 1:1 (AKG K701 which are $400-$500 list, and Yamaha NS-777 which are $600+ list, paid $200 + shipping for K701's (new btw), and about twice that for the 777's)

as far as the headphones vs speakers experience, I view speakers as something to get loud and let me watch TV or movies in bed/on the couch/etc, while headphones are something to experience music with, I much prefer my AKGs or Sennheisers to some of the nicer Sonus Fabers and B&Ws I've heard

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a lot of zeros on your bank account, so you may just go for the speakers. And it is very easy to spend 10k on a basic speaker system setup, but the SQ might only catch my 1k headphone system.

Of course, I can't dance while listening.

what if you only have zeros?
ph34r.gif

my speakers are logitech z-2300's that cost me like $110... have spent over $1000 on headphones so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back