More expensive top tiers vs 'bargain' top tiers
Jul 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

I have only begun to really read threads for several weeks. Not until lately do I read that some praise it for its value for money. Still, W2 is as if it is pricey enough ($250?) not to be considered as a bargain when GR07, FXT90, Brainwavz B2 and EPH-100 are at $150 price point. Of course one has to take into account the brand and convenient access to Westone itself costs $100. 

Now W2 and UM2 are at USD200 point. Brainwavz B2 at USD100 in MP4nation... Westones can join the rank of bargain top tier list and Brainwavz becomes steal. Although I am not sure if those offers are temporary like Triple Fi Amazon discount.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #33 of 34

"Good to know that it's more than just your subjective impression. 
wink.gif
" >>>> exactly ....

i love my shure se 535s more than so many other iems i've tried .....its presentation is not as coherent as other iems in its class or at the bargain level ... but i believe for me thats exactly the fun part of it ... 
and investing in a baldur mk2 cable might be a good thing ... after all there has been a growing thread on the after market cable options ..

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #34 of 34
[size=medium]I go to audition Westone 2, UM2 and UM3x in shop whenever I have the chance to go out. W2 and UM2 are close to $200 while UM3x are asking for $300 or so. My impression is that UM2 and UM3x are pretty similar. The unique instrumental separation of UM3x strangely are sometimes here sometimes not - the pair in shop A was jarring but a week or so later on I listened to UM3x in shop B that pair didn't feel that uncomfortably artificial when it came to separation. I want to go with W2 for its the cheapest but it was quite overwhelmed in some busy climatic passage like the end of Placebo's A Sony to say to goodbye. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geig9DCpucI 2:55 onwards). I mean it is like that sort of impression that it is so loud that you can't hear anything, I know it sounds contradictory enough. I think it only happened in W2 but not UM2 and UM3x. It is also the same song that I found the shop A UM3x jarring in how it separates vocal from guitar. Most likely those pairs in shop have been listened/abused for hundreds of hours and I am not sure if my honeymoon period with new pairs will be similar to them.  UM2 is the only pair that I didn't find any fault but it is in some awkward position because the price difference between it and UM3x are too small[/size]

[size=medium]EDIT: I wrote that before. Today I went again and think my impression that W2 is the weakest link quite certain. It would be a choice between UM2 and UM3x for me. I am still thinking about selling/swapping BA200s and struggle to make a clear conclusion[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back