More efficient can than HD600?
Nov 18, 2008 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jolida302

100+ Head-Fier
i've got the HD600 drived by the Iqube. I find that it lacks soundstage with this small amp.
I use the low gain position most of the time, the high postion gives a wider soundstage (more low) but harsher highs.

Which big can has better efficiency?

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 11
The HD600 is one of the most amp-scalable headphones in the market - while other headphones peter-out pretty quickly when matched with a reasonable amp, the HD600 quality just keeps on getting better.

I suggest getting a better amp or an easier-to-drive headphone. At this point, you might as well get a better amp because most headphones at this level of performance will just benefit from a better amp.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 11
I ve got Crossroads Edge amp which also drives the 600 Ohm Beyer headphones.. DT880 i think (as claimed by an owner)

its a value for money amp.

i ll be powering my HD600 with them .

check it out

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not your headphones.

Get a better amp, source, or both.

x2. You need to check out your source and amp first, but I've found that the 600 generally gets better highs and more tightened bass with amps (though this is based on only a couple hours of listening), so if you are already finding the 600 harsh, I don't know. At least try better amping.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 11
Jolida, what is the SQ of the Walkman D6? I have heard Sony had a hissy highs problem prior to the new S63x series.

Have you considered an S639 16gb? I was thinking of ordering one from the UK but I will wait for US availability.

How do your phones and iQube sound fed by Sansa Clip or Fuse? Cowan?

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've got the HD600 drived by the Iqube. I find that it lacks soundstage with this small amp.
I use the low gain position most of the time, the high postion gives a wider soundstage (more low) but harsher highs.

Which big can has better efficiency?

There are lots of more efficient headphones than the HD600 that would have a nice soundstage with your Iqube. What is your price range for this headphone purchase?

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 11
I don't disagree with you 1Time, but the HD 600 is *easy* to drive with almost any decent amp.

The weak link in this chain by far is the source: looks like a cassette player -D6, and a portable cd player D25s (well, I don't know that for a fact, but I suspect any Sony player with analog output that is older than 1 year old will not be better than average SQ, and you know the saying, Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Trying to do better than HD600 or iQube driven by old, portable gear just means the old, portable gear is not up to the task.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DunninLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't disagree with you 1Time, but the HD 600 is *easy* to drive with almost any decent amp.

The weak link in this chain by far is the source: looks like a cassette player -D6, and a portable cd player D25s (well, I don't know that for a fact, but I suspect any Sony player with analog output that is older than 1 year old will not be better than average SQ, and you know the saying, Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Trying to do better than HD600 or iQube driven by old, portable gear just means the old, portable gear is not up to the task.

So, you're suggesting it's better to disregard the OP's question for easier to drive headphones?

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are lots of more efficient headphones than the HD600 that would have a nice soundstage with your Iqube. What is your price range for this headphone purchase?

No limit! advices welcome. I'm thinking about AKG, Beyer, etc..

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DunninLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's a misunderstanding. I'm thinking about my system with the Imod as source (what i use currently) and not my other vintage sources, which are superior to the Imod IMO, but that's not the point.

I know that the 600 is not harsh at all, but neutral, it just reveals the Imod numeric's harshness, whereas the setup works better with the vintage source (the WM6 is the best IMO).
Besides that, i'm looking for a more efficient headphone, that would do a better soundstage with the Imod, and that would do smoother highs to soften the Imod.
I've read about AKG K 271 MK II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back