More difficult to push? T50RP V HD600
Feb 14, 2018 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bequietjk

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my T50RP MK3's for a few weeks now and have grown to like the sound but am very curious about the HD600. They have so much praise and I'm getting the feeling they will be better for monitoring and pleasure listening (preference, I know).

I do have a Project Polaris so this greatly determines how either headphone would be pushed but I was hoping to get some input from you guys out there about how each headphone responds to power, and if either is indefinitely going to be harder to push. Although the MK3 are 50ohm, I've been reading that because they are planar magnetic they are power hungry. I wonder how that compares to the 300ohm HD600's!

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 4
The HD600 are way easier to drive. I have the Mk3s and they need a lot of power. Despite their 300ohm rating they arent that hard to drive. However, they do scale very well with better/more powerful amplification.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 4
I've had my T50RP MK3's for a few weeks now and have grown to like the sound but am very curious about the HD600. They have so much praise and I'm getting the feeling they will be better for monitoring and pleasure listening (preference, I know).

I do have a Project Polaris so this greatly determines how either headphone would be pushed but I was hoping to get some input from you guys out there about how each headphone responds to power, and if either is indefinitely going to be harder to push. Although the MK3 are 50ohm, I've been reading that because they are planar magnetic they are power hungry. I wonder how that compares to the 300ohm HD600's!

T50RP sensitivity is 92dB/1mW; HD600 sensitivity is 97dB/1mW. HD600 can hit 120dB with around 250mW; by contrast T50RP will need around 700mW.

The only way the HD600 will be harder to drive is if you're using an amp with severe voltage delivery issues and power trails off the higher the load impedance), which even then will likely not be capable of putting out enough power for the T50RP to begin with. If your amp works fine with the T50RP then it can't have any issue with the HD650.

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 4
I own both of these and agree with the posts above. The t50rp's need a significant amount of more power to reach a nice listening level. For instance when I switch from the t50's to hd 600's I turn the volume down about 25% before plugging in the 600's otherwise they would just be blasting. I had the mk2 and even they are easier to drive than the mk3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back