More details on the Supermono
Sep 29, 2004 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

bahamaman

1000+ Head-Fier
I recent posting from this past weekend provides more precise information on the Supermono than has been available previously. You can see from the quoted paragraphs that there will be three models (standard, simplified and featured) and some options one can add thereafter. Quoting Xin:

"Standard, suggested price $249.99 (worth at least $700):
OPA134, BUF634x1, OP and buffer sockets, 90min auto-off timer, DC jack, internel charging, auto/manual battery-save mode, blue LED, machined aluminum knob, silver anodized aluminum case, engraved front panel.

Simplified, suggested price $199.99 (worth at least $500):
Like the standard version, just no OP and buffer sockets.

Featured, suggested price $299.99 (worth at least $900):
Like the standard version, just added with 4 switches for impedance, gain, bass boost and XinFeed.

Options:
OPA637, 627, AD8610 etc.
BUF634x2, x3, x4
Black aluminum case
Manual battery-save mode defeater.
Portable AC adpter (220/110V)"

From what I can gather elsewhere on his forums at www.fixup.net, the upgraded opamps (OPA637, 627, etc.) will add $50 and three stacked buffers will add $40. If others who have visited his forums have a different understanding on the cost of these options, please feel free to correct me as the information isn't entirely clear to me. I haven't yet seen any reference to the cost of the other options (e.g., black aluminum case, portable AC adapter, etc).

Also apparent from the specificity of the foregoing is that he must be getting pretty close to releasing the Supermono, consistent with his earlier target of "early October".

Sep 29, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 35
Yes, early October has been verified with me as well. I have had one on hand now for about 2 weeks and have been listening attentively. I will be posting my impressions shortly.

Sep 29, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 35
Yeah, and I'm thinking he's just making sure he's got enough of 'em for the demand that's sure to follow and that they're buttoned up and ready. I've already stated my desire to receive the first unit officially shipped at retail (...as if). My SuperDual is anxiously awaiting bigger brother to arrive.

Sep 29, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 35
Zanth - I have been in such hopeless conflict between the SR-71 and the Supermono, I for one would much appreciate hearing your impressions. I know that there have been some brief reviews on a Supermono beta version, but the more info the better (and the sooner the better!)
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 35
I have on hand a pre-production model. The insides I am told are what a full out production model will have...but the look is a bit different. I anticipate a production unit in a week and then a week later I believe I will be receiving the SR71. I have had such a busy last bunch of months that I can't tell you how excited I am to be listening to some hot new gear. IF only I had the money to buy all these great amps. I need to start a collection!

i don't want to give up too much too soon...but I like what I hear from the Supermono thus far
smily_headphones1.gif

I fully believe that both of these amps will provide one with so many hours of joy that either would be a bargain to own, but I have yet to hear an SR71 or a production version of the Supermono...so again...I'll wait to post formal impressions. I'm aiming at mid to late October for initial impressions and the end of October for some reviews.

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 35
What do the op amp and buffer stacking upgrades do for the sound? Do some make the sound less harsh, or warm?

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 35
I'm interested in the Supermono, too, especially with the 627s...what advantage would additional buffering offer?

How are the HD595s, bahaman?

What are you impressions of them and how do they compare to the ATH-A900s?

Currently listening to: "Sorta Fairytale" by Tori Amos on my ATH-A900s.

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 35
So what would be the price for "best sound" unit as far as op amps, stacked buffer (for Ety 4P)+bass boost+impedance. No need to x-feed or gain? Also no need for sockets if already come with upgraded parts?

Sep 29, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 35
jink:
The stacked buffers in the SuperMono have the effect of slightly warming the sound and allows for more Bass slam. The higher the stack the more slam with diminishing returns. The x3 stack seem just about right as drums, low synth, organs, etc. sound just about right.

Sep 29, 2004 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 35
Thanks bobjew, that's really good info on the effect of the stacked buffers.

Zanth - I guess I'll need to develop some patience, particularly as you will soon be able to provide some additional data on the two amps I covet most.

Crazyfrenchman27 - it's too early in the burn-in to do a fair comparison between the HD595s and the A900s. Preliminary impressions indicate that the HD595 will have less overall bass (no surprise there) though it should be able to satisfy with its tightness and depth. I'm also predicting that the 595s will be a step up in terms of that sense of spaciousness I was hoping for.

While I love the A900, I had developed some concern that the mids, on some material, were a bit "honky" IMO - perhaps a characteristic of its closed design. It's pretty clear that that won't be an issue with the Senns.

Sep 30, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjew
jink:
The stacked buffers in the SuperMono have the effect of slightly warming the sound and allows for more Bass slam. The higher the stack the more slam with diminishing returns. The x3 stack seem just about right as drums, low synth, organs, etc. sound just about right.

Interesting, nice to know, greatly appreciated. =) I am thinking I'll get stacked buffers as well now, just trying to decide if I can live without the maxed out version, or if I really need the bass boost.

Decisions, decisions

I also need to sell my superdual, I just don't use it anymore. =(

Sep 30, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 35
I would in theory agree with bobjew. I can't comment as I only have an all-out featured one on hand..but in my opinion, the less in the signal path the better the sound.

Since I have no need for crossfeed nor the gain switch...I would likely go with only the impedence and bassboost switches. Even then, though the bassboost does help the Ety 4S out...I could simply remove both switches and use the 4P's and get close to the same bass slam. The difference though is in the smoothness between S and P. For the first time I have come to the conclusion that the S is really the better of the two incarnations I have experience with (B being the other one). Since I am not up for selling my P's just to order the S, the impedence switch is something I would want and the bass boost is fun to have. And boy does the word SLAM suit the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 35
Zanth, May I ask, how does it sound with the RS1, say compared to the RA-1. I'm looking for a temporary amp while saving up for a tube amp. Thanks

Oct 1, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 35
I was just browsing threads and the '(worth at least $700)' caught my eye.

"Standard, suggested price $249.99 (worth at least $700):
-- What something is worth is what you can sell it for.
-- If it's worth $700, then it will sell for that.
OPA134, BUF634x1,
-- Just what everyone else is offering.
OP and buffer sockets,
-- $49 for two $.35 sockets?!?!?! (as compared to the 'Simplified')
90min auto-off timer, DC jack, internel charging, auto/manual battery-save mode,
-- Four great features.
blue LED, machined aluminum knob, silver anodized aluminum case,
-- Yadda, yadda, yadda.
engraved front panel.
-- Why waste time disfiguring a clean front panel? Advertising, that's why.

I have no experience with these amps, I have no idea what they dsound like.
All I can se is the Barnum & Bailey hype, and it turns me off.

There's a sucker born every minute, and it looks like this guy is trooling for them.

Have fun.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back