More DAC Advice Please + DAC Rational
Dec 24, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Hershon2000

100+ Head-Fier
It's been a fairly frustrating 3 weeks for me as I keep trying out & subsequently reselling back at a minor loss, different CDP Players & DACS, all of which have been "used" so a "break in period" which I personally don't believe in anyway, is not a factor. My current set-up is a Pioneer Elite PD-59 connected to a Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 Tube Buffer connected directly to my Denon 3801 A/V Receiver connected to my Orb Audio Mod 1 Speakers (I only use headphones in the evening because I live in an apartment, I prefer speakers). My current set up as far as I'm concerned has given me the best audio sound & nothing else I've tried comes close. Infinitesymphony remarked earlier that the Pioneer uses a 1-Bit DLC High-Speed & High-Density Pulseflow D/A Converter that have an exciting, musical sound that seem to draw out the important elements but hides the extra detail s& is really just a coloration or veiling of the sound. I realise I prefer that kind of sound for the 60/70's remastered rock & blues CDs I listen to, as I just am not the kind of person who wants to change my tastes by patiently listening to so called upgrades & get use to them & change the way I hear music.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I recently tried out a broken in Musical Fidelity X-Ray V3 CD player, and while there was nothing wrong with the sound, I still preferred the sound of my Pioneer Player much more. One of my questions then is, if this Musical Fidelity CD player wasn't too my liking, will trying out a Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 DAC, therefore be almost guaranteed to not be of my liking? Any Dacs you think I will like? Will trying the Rega Apollo out, knowing my tastes somewhat, also be a waste? Any input appreciated. PS As an aside I also tried out the Pioneer PD-65 which is supposed to be legendary & I still preferred the sound of my PD-59. Apparently the PD-65 has two of the same DAC the PD-59 has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back