More comfortable earbuds?
Mar 1, 2008 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chadrh

New Head-Fier
Please don't kill the newbie!

I just discovered the forum a bit ago and I'm digging it. Because of things I've learned from the board I'm planning on trying a pair of Livewires to replace the noise canceling headphones I've been using when I travel.

On to the question at hand. We just got the wife an Ipod Nano for the gym and he's loving it. She's not however loving the earbuds. She's finding that wearing them for a while becomes painful as they put too much pressure against her ear.

She has no complaints about the sound *cringe*, she just wants something more comfortable. I know it's sacrilege not to mind the sound from the crappy things but she honestly just wants something that she can wear without causing pain. Any suggestions on inexpensive earbuds that might be more comfortable for her?

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 9
I would suggest skipping earbuds and going for a cheap pair of IEM's. Maybe the jvc marshmallows (they come in pink!), or a pair of FX66 air cushions.

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Well the Yuin line is pretty comfortable with donut foams, try the PK3 from Head Direct.

Some IEMs are pretty comfortable too as jgonino said, my marshmellows are pretty comfortable but some might not like the half plastic/rubber thing they have on them.

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks guys. I think I'll have her try the marshmallows first. I can get them for $15 at CC and they come in pink, the same color as her Ipod.

If she doesn't like those I'm thinking I'll get her some low end Shure or Senns, see how she likes those.

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the Yuin line is pretty comfortable with donut foams, try the PK3 from Head Direct.

Some IEMs are pretty comfortable too as jgonino said, my marshmellows are pretty comfortable but some might not like the half plastic/rubber thing they have on them.

I second the Yuin recommendation. Even the entry-level PK3s will blow any similarly priced in-ear models right out of the water in sound quality. I even preferred my PK3s to my UE SF5 Pros - an IEM that costs nearly three times as much.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 9
I think the OP is talking about fit and comfort. The PK1 (assuming same with PK2 and PK3) are large when compared to the stock iBuds. They are more in line with the 1st generation of iPod buds (the 2nd gen ones that have been shipping for the last year or so are smaller).

My wife can't wear the stock buds for long without complaining. She couldn't even get the PK1 to stay in her ear.

The best sound is the goal, but if you can't wear them...

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 9
For cheap and comfort also good sounding you can look at JVC marshmallow, JBL 220, Creative EP630 (all below $50).

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 9
Just got back from CC where we picked her up some JVC Marshmallows. Wife says they're much more comfy than the stock buds and she loves that we got them in pink to match her Nano. We'll see what long term wear brings.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Edited to add:

Oh, and the Marshmallows were on sale for only $15, awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back