More Chinese Tube Head Amps coming !
Mar 10, 2003 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ddriveman

100+ Head-Fier
I met with Peter Lau, principal of Audio Space and Houston audio today. He tells me that he is working on a high quality head-amp cum preamp that should be available sometime later this year. It will be based on the 300B tube. He said he will keep the price reasonable. He will let me know when available and I hope to get a sneak preview and will report back.
Audio Space/Houston is a well known tube amp manufacturer in Hong Kong and they make good sounding and well finished gear that has also been widely recommended. I looked at their build quality including the detail inside. Great quality. This is what ASL shoud strive for in terms of build quality and the neatness of the wire routings.
Check out their website: www.audiospace-hifi.com

They currently have a range of integrated tube amps with headphone outputs under the brand name of "Duntonic" which are meant fo the German market. These models range from using 12AX7/AU7 inputs with either EL84, EL34 or KT88 output tubes. Price is from US$400 to US$600. I heard them driving speakers and they sounded great. Did not have my HD-600 with me but will try to listen to them with my headphones and let you know.

Looks like we are going to be getting more headamp choices soon

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 6
I know this company - They buy from "Spark Audio" before.

Spark Audio Link : http://www.sparkaudio.com/cp01.asp?n=1

Quote:

Originally posted by ddriveman
I met with Peter Lau, principal of Audio Space and Houston audio today. He tells me that he is working on a high quality head-amp cum preamp that should be available sometime later this year. It will be based on the 300B tube. He said he will keep the price reasonable. He will let me know when available and I hope to get a sneak preview and will report back.
Audio Space/Houston is a well known tube amp manufacturer in Hong Kong and they make good sounding and well finished gear that has also been widely recommended. I looked at their build quality including the detail inside. Great quality. This is what ASL shoud strive for in terms of build quality and the neatness of the wire routings.
Check out their website: www.audiospace-hifi.com

They currently have a range of integrated tube amps with headphone outputs under the brand name of "Duntonic" which are meant fo the German market. These models range from using 12AX7/AU7 inputs with either EL84, EL34 or KT88 output tubes. Price is from US$400 to US$600. I heard them driving speakers and they sounded great. Did not have my HD-600 with me but will try to listen to them with my headphones and let you know.

Looks like we are going to be getting more headamp choices soon

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Joe,

I checked out the Spark website that you posted. Looks like the Audio Space/Houston products are not the same as Sparks so perhaps they are making their own now. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the Audio Space/Houston products are better than ASL but the build quality is very good. I believe Head-Fi members are willing to pay a little more for better build quality.
I opened my ASL MG Head OTL and a couple of the screws on the base just stripped even though I was very careful. Also the feedback switch on the front panel is wired reversed i.e. feedback on (up position) gives louder sound.

Mar 10, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 6
"Spark" had modify the out looking to difference from old series.

I'm not sure Spaceaudio make it himself or not but I wonder why it keep old looking as Old "Spark" model , I had seen it years ago.

More completitor is not a bad news. It can force me to improve our products to more better.

Quote:

Joe,

I checked out the Spark website that you posted. Looks like the Audio Space/Houston products are not the same as Sparks so perhaps they are making their own now. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the Audio Space/Houston products are better than ASL but the build quality is very good. I believe Head-Fi members are willing to pay a little more for better build quality.
I opened my ASL MG Head OTL and a couple of the screws on the base just stripped even though I was very careful. Also the feedback switch on the front panel is wired reversed i.e. feedback on (up position) gives louder sound.

Mar 10, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Joe,

I think not. The "Spark" models sport different tube layouts from Audio Space. Anyway, that not the point.
You got it right when you said more competition may get you to produce better products. Don't forget you have the most models and experience in headamps. Don't lose the lead.
By the way, when will you get the new products such as MG Head OTL Mk 2, MG32 and Twinhead Mk 2 available in Hong Kong. Mr Poon of AudioWay (your Hong Kong dealer) says he is not getting any new products till 6 months later. Its a shame that I am so close yet so far away from your new products.
I am dying to hear Twinhead Mk 2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 6
Difference layout ? Oh ! It is so easy to change the layout. I can made a new model with difference layout within 2 days (Hard wiring model).

I'm sorry ! We are co-operate with "Divergent Technologies" to design our new prodcuts. So "Divergent Technologies" have first priority to have our new prodcuts.

Also It depend on distributor ! I can not force them to order from us !

Hong Kong Distributor have a TwinHead but not mark II. you may be can listen it ! Also He had order a pair of Hurricane. It will be delivery to Hong Kong soon.

Design of amplifiers is my hobby ! Not only my job. I like to apply more new idea to design new amplifiers.

Quote:

Joe,

I think not. The "Spark" models sport different tube layouts from Audio Space. Anyway, that not the point.
You got it right when you said more competition may get you to produce better products. Don't forget you have the most models and experience in headamps. Don't lose the lead.
By the way, when will you get the new products such as MG Head OTL Mk 2, MG32 and Twinhead Mk 2 available in Hong Kong. Mr Poon of AudioWay (your Hong Kong dealer) says he is not getting any new products till 6 months later. Its a shame that I am so close yet so far away from your new products.
I am dying to hear Twinhead Mk 2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back