More Chinese Headphones available at Woolworths
Jan 15, 2014 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Spaceresearcher

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
   Just a quick post to provide feedback on a crazy purchase today.

Having ordered a pair of Piston earphones after reading about the raves and recommendations I thought I'd give the local Woolworths a shot as there was a pair of noise cancellation earphones that looked similar in design to the Astrotec and other brands.

These were the: Dolphin brand, noise isolating earphones with tangle-free flat cable. They are identified simply as: 336509

These are 16ohm earphones, rated at 3mW with a maximum input of 10mW

For just $7, I thought why not, let's see what these are like.

Well in short. CRAPPOLA.  The bass, mids and treble are all mixed up, the bass is pretty much non-existent and I'm certain you would get better hifi out of a pair of tin cans with string vibrating from the sound source.

Compared to the Sennheiser PMX80's(which are certainly not studio headphones, just my jogging headphones), the Sennheiser blows them completely out of the stratosphere.

Sadly this is a pair of headphones I'll give to my worst enemy and even then I'll be feeling guilty.  AVOID!!!

I'm hoping for a lot better from the Pistons and other misc headphones currently on order from the Chinese brands.

To save me trying out the other cheap woolworths brands, has anyone tried the Moshi range of headphones? Also they had another generic brand I'd never heard of, but after these, I'm too scared to go near any more of them.

Please let the rest of us know if you've tried any of the others and if they yielded any hidden gold.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 2
  Hello all,
   Just a quick post to provide feedback on a crazy purchase today.

Having ordered a pair of Piston earphones after reading about the raves and recommendations I thought I'd give the local Woolworths a shot as there was a pair of noise cancellation earphones that looked similar in design to the Astrotec and other brands.

These were the: Dolphin brand, noise isolating earphones with tangle-free flat cable. They are identified simply as: 336509

These are 16ohm earphones, rated at 3mW with a maximum input of 10mW

For just $7, I thought why not, let's see what these are like.

Well in short. CRAPPOLA.  The bass, mids and treble are all mixed up, the bass is pretty much non-existent and I'm certain you would get better hifi out of a pair of tin cans with string vibrating from the sound source.

Compared to the Sennheiser PMX80's(which are certainly not studio headphones, just my jogging headphones), the Sennheiser blows them completely out of the stratosphere.

Sadly this is a pair of headphones I'll give to my worst enemy and even then I'll be feeling guilty.  AVOID!!!

I'm hoping for a lot better from the Pistons and other misc headphones currently on order from the Chinese brands.

To save me trying out the other cheap woolworths brands, has anyone tried the Moshi range of headphones? Also they had another generic brand I'd never heard of, but after these, I'm too scared to go near any more of them.

Please let the rest of us know if you've tried any of the others and if they yielded any hidden gold.

There's a big difference between the manufacturers (be they western or eastern) who have the technical expertise and the equipment to design a good-sounding product, and those who just slap a driver into a nice-looking casing. (The problem is working out which one is which)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back