More big banks failing...
Sep 15, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #17 of 317
You can ladle all the mathamatical BS you want onto worthless paper, and what you are left with is...worthless paper. As soon as someone wakes up and says, in a startled voice, "Hey! This stuff is worthless," the game is over.

There should be no more bailouts. Let these folks get a taste of what they have done to the rest of the country, and to economies around the world.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #18 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can ladle all the mathamatical BS you want onto worthless paper, and what you are left with is...worthless paper. As soon as someone wakes up and says, in a startled voice, "Hey! This stuff is worthless," the game is over.

There should be no more bailouts. Let these folks get a taste of what they have done to the rest of the country, and to economies around the world.

The people who made poor decisions and made bad loans strictly because they knew they could sell them to someone else making bad decisions, should suffer.

But sometimes when a bank fails, it means that everyone suffers no matter how good their decisions were.

Look at your 401k lately? How do you feel about bailouts now?

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #19 of 317
I don't see how Washington Mutual will go under from home loans, they were one of the most conservative banks in appraising home values for loans. I applied for a loan with them, and they rejected my loan because they wouldn't agree on the appraisal.

Unless there are other circumstances with Washington Mutual.

-Ed

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The people who made poor decisions and made bad loans strictly because they knew they could sell them to someone else making bad decisions, should suffer.

But sometimes when a bank fails, it means that everyone suffers no matter how good their decisions were.

Look at your 401k lately? How do you feel about bailouts now?

There will certainly be widespread pain. I don't see how propping up poorly run banks will do anything but put off the inevitable.

I think also of the people who prudently decided that the ridiculous loans on offer were a trap. They deferred their dreams of home ownership and saved for the day when they would be able to make a sound investment.

If the fools who signed mortgage contracts with no idea of what they were signing are bailed out, that will prevent the market from doing what it should do. And it will prevent those prudent people I just mentioned from being able to buy homes at sane prices. So the losers win, and the people who did the right thing are left feeling like fools.

How do I feel about bailouts now? No bailouts for banks. No bailouts for homeowners, unless they were atively swindled. And frankly, I think those people should seek redress in the criminal and civil courts. And there must be a Congressional investigation into the business practices of the financial industry.

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #21 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They got way too big, way too fast.
Also, I'm fairly certain they have quite a bit of subprime exposure *cough*Providian*cough*

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #23 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how Washington Mutual will go under from home loans, they were one of the most conservative banks in appraising home values for loans. I applied for a loan with them, and they rejected my loan because they wouldn't agree on the appraisal.

Your experience may have been different, but Washington Mutual developed a terrible loan portfolio. At this point, they're a hair's breath from insolvency.

For an example of the type of mortgage pool they were issuing, see here:
Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: WaMu Alt-A Pool Deteriorates Further

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #24 of 317
Reminds me of the Savings and Loan crisis of the late 80's and early 90's. I guess what is old is new again. Doesn't look good.

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #26 of 317
Sep 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #28 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There will certainly be widespread pain. I don't see how propping up poorly run banks will do anything but put off the inevitable.

I think also of the people who prudently decided that the ridiculous loans on offer were a trap. They deferred their dreams of home ownership and saved for the day when they would be able to make a sound investment.

If the fools who signed mortgage contracts with no idea of what they were signing are bailed out, that will prevent the market from doing what it should do. And it will prevent those prudent people I just mentioned from being able to buy homes at sane prices. So the losers win, and the people who did the right thing are left feeling like fools.

How do I feel about bailouts now? No bailouts for banks. No bailouts for homeowners, unless they were atively swindled. And frankly, I think those people should seek redress in the criminal and civil courts. And there must be a Congressional investigation into the business practices of the financial industry.

Very well put.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #29 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The comments on that auction are priceless.I laughed hard on those.

LOL x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back