More Bass ?
Nov 16, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #46 of 57
Just get beyerdynamic dt770pro + some budget entry level amp like creek obh11 or meta42.

It's better than buying the cable for hd600. It won't increase the bass that much from 0 presence to earshaking ones.Somemore the cable is quite costly.

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #47 of 57
well i do know that the hotter my soundblaster gets the less bass it has. also, one day the bass will be there and the next day it's non-existant. and xp/w2000 has less volume and bass than w98/wme. (i run xp, w2000, w98, wme on seperate caddies. some have the latest drivers (xp/w2k) while 98 has the original cd install, and wme has 1 version ago (creative play centre 2.0)).

so can we just take the digital output from the cdrom and put it into a dac? or the analoue output directly to an amp or pre-amp? of course that's just for music from the cd-rom. he/me won't be able to hear media player, internet music/sounds, and games.

i wonder, digital output to a dac & analogue output to the sound card... hmmm...

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:59 PM Post #48 of 57
wallijonn:
"well i do know that the hotter my soundblaster gets the less bass it has". ughhh, All my machines except the notebook run 24/7, so maybe I should power one down and let it cool out and see if that changes anything

slindeman:
Guess even that is challenging for my electronic skills which I haven't used in years. I'll just finish the CMOY I'm currently building as a little relearning test and then I'll try your bass boosting circuit, thanks !

Greg Freeman: Nope, Ireleand as well :wink:)

Yesterday I was listening to some Kid Rock songs and some random pieces from John Williams. With bass at like 90% it sounds pretty good at my volume level. If I turn it down and listen to some bands which have a bassist, I'm sometimes unable to hear anything of the bassist's play. Like I was listening to some old songs of The Roots, and I needed to crank up the EQ significantly to hear the bassist.

greetings,
Tim

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #49 of 57
Tell me it isn't so. The Roots are great. If you're not hearing them properly, I can understand your pain. Well, perhaps not. But they at least have some real music and aren't likely to throw some bass-bloat in your face. There's nothing so pleasing as the texture in a bass guitar riff.

Btw, did you describe your experiences with the HD 580 in other setups? I must have missed/forgotten it. Just wanted to be sure that your 'phones do sound good when they're paired with a setup that has no obvious culprits to ruin the sound.

Nov 16, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #51 of 57
Jackangel:
Absolutely. I used to enjoy electronic music (techno/drance) a lot, but it just sounds so simple and lifeless. The acoustics are so dry, there's no texture or complexity to the sound. Some simple synth sound simply doesn't match the detail and richness of a good guitar sound. So I ended up listening only to a few electronic music artists that do more quality music.

I think I can test my cans at a good source we have at work, will see if that changes much!

greetings,
Tim

Nov 17, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #52 of 57
tim,

you may want to
1] download www.jv16.org 's registry cleaner.
2] download the latest creative drivers & playcentre
3] control panel -> add/REMOVE the creative drivers & utilities
4] run reg cleaner & remove all the creative references
5] reboot
6] cancel out of 'new hardware found'
7] reinstall creative software
8] reboot

then see if problem went away.

Nov 17, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #53 of 57
[sarcasm]I can only listen to music with the bass control turned all the way up (or the Mega Bass/S-XBS button turned up full blast)! All of my good-sounding headphones sound so flat and lifeless! I'll take a pair of the Sony MDR-V###DJ headphones over the Sennheiser HD 580's or HD 600's any time!
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/sarcasm]

That sarcasm aside, I still think that your source is crap. I used to own a CRAPOLA Sound Blaster Live!, and no amp will improve its crap-tacular sound much. And from what I've read, the Audigy's analog output electronics aren't much better. UPGRADE YOUR SOUNDCARD - NOW!
eek.gif

Nov 18, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #56 of 57
the front speakers are #1, and the rear speakers are #2. in the control panel they should be set to 2 speaker mode or headphones.

when you use the creative player, what does the cdrom front panel jack sound like? (should be utter crap).

too bad you're not in phoenix - i'd let you try my grados on it.

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #57 of 57
Yes, I'm in 2 speaker mode (don't like headphone mode) and have my adapter cable plugged into the right jack. I tried the CD-ROM jack and it sounds totally horrible, yes.

It sort of sounded like hooking up my Corda HA-1 to my PocketPC, which is a truly audiophile source :wink:

greetings,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back