More bass does not mean better bass!
Apr 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Sound Quest

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry, but feel the need to vent here.

I see far too many threads on here from people asking questions about what headphones have the "most" bass, as if bass is the only thing that exists and that bigger bass means better sound quality.

Sorry, but that's just so wrong. "More" bass, does not mean better!

And why on earth is this site infiltrated with monster beat advertisements??? I thought we were trying to stray people away from making bad decisions?
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 38
This is your personal issue you have to deal with yourself.
I don't recall anyone saying more bass equal better sound quality. When someone ask for more bass it's like asking for more sugar in their coffee. It's a personal preference. If you have a problem with people wanting lots bass in their music that's really just your problem. Saying people are wrong because they like what you don't like is the real wrong here.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:
Sorry, but feel the need to vent here.

I see far too many threads on here from people asking questions about what headphones have the "most" bass, as if bass is the only thing that exists and that bigger bass means better sound quality.

Sorry, but that's just so wrong. "More" bass, does not mean better!

It's not wrong at all; it's an expression of personal preference. If you disagree -- and I disagree -- we're just expressing our own, contrary preferences. We'll just have to get over it.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 38
I think what OP was getting at is that common people judge headphone quality by the amount of bass they produce. It's a bit like judging how fast a car will be using only its horsepower rating. Things like a wide usable power band, a good tranmission, and grip contributes to a fast car around a racetrack..

If we set neutral reproduction (ie. what the sound engineer heard after he was done mastering) as the ultimate goal, then "more" bass runs contrary to that goal.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 38
Pretty much what they said ^ 

It's all a matter of preference. If some people like more bass than the average person, you can't fault them for it, that's just what they like. What you perceive as "good" sound quality wont be the same for everybody else. It's not right to think your taste is superior to everyone else's. Also, I haven't gotten any beats advertisements here so they were probably generated just for you by google due to you most likely googling them a lot to talk about how much you hate them.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 38
People have different preferences, priorities likes and dislikes... get over it, its really not that big of a deal.  A flatter FR curve is not always preferred.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:
But what if people like quantity? 

That's fine, but it kind of goes against audiophile logic to completely loose sight of things like bass texture and detail and only go for quantity. I think most bassheads would agree on that. Maybe that's different from what the OP was talking about, though.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:
That's fine, but it kind of goes against audiophile logic to completely loose sight of things like bass texture and detail and only go for quantity. I think most bassheads would agree on that. Maybe that's different from what the OP was talking about, though.

Logic doesn't apply where personal preferences are concerned. Audiophilia is an affliction, not a mark of discerning tastes.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 38
Though i know a good number of people that actually judge headphones PURELY on bass quantity and nothing else thus the term 'more bass is better headphone!' (cue non audiophile reactions to high end headphones thread) not like the bassheads here who want elevated bass in their sound sig with good all round performance and detail. This is the point OP was trying to make, to not judge a headphone's performance by just 1 aspect.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 38
Sure, excluding muddiness (or EQ) there is also bass texture and extension, but obviously this comes with a price and doesn't necessarily (depending on the cans compared) mean much of a difference...

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #15 of 38
As some have already pointed out, this does sound like a "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE" thread.

The world of audio is extremely subjective. Some live for head-concussing bass. Others don't want it to drown out everything else, but do expect it to still be present.

For instance, the HE-400 is what I'd call a "bass done right" headphone, as it will kick when called for, but ONLY when called for. Some people want sometthing that kicks ALL the time, even when that would be inaccurate to the source...

I don't think there's any real right or wrong in sound colorations, just preference. Doesn't mean I agree all the time (especially not when it comes to bloated bass), but that's their headphone choice. I still have my own desired headphones to use, and they won't take them away from me just for wanting something different...nor will they take yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back