Moore's Law as applied to head-fi
Jan 11, 2007 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

dhp

(formerly known as DieInAFire)
the average amount of burn-in time recommended by head-fiers doubles every 24 months.

Seriously, after reading this, the idea that burn-in is the cure all to everything is driving me insane

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...00#post2615300
2nd post

Certainly, you can argue that burn-in has tangible benefits, especially given the subjective nature of audio, but burn-in isn't some sort of miracle cure. It won't make your headphones suddenly sound better when 100000 hours ago you were ready to toss them out. That is all.

/rant

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 27
except telling people to put 350 hours into a Tomahawk isn't as bad as the 400+ hours needed on the Hornet to really make it sound as it would (and that was what Ray was telling people was needed)

---
Just FYI - I have no feelings on way or the other about burn-in...

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 27
The best threads are the ones involving the K701. It seems that the ideal amount of burn in for those phones is anywhere from 500 to 1000 hours. Personally, I don't see how anyone would want to own or deal with a pair of headphones that required that much burn in to reach its potential.

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best threads are the ones involving the K701. It seems that the ideal amount of burn in for those phones is anywhere from 500 to 1000 hours. Personally, I don't see how anyone would want to own or deal with a pair of headphones that required that much burn in to reach its potential.

don't forget the K501, which averaged out to about one entire year to break in!
redface.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Hahah - and bear in mind the folks at AKG came right out and said the 701 doesn't burn in at all. My personal take on burn-in is that it's real, although I have no idea whether it's a case of physical vs. mental or a combination.

I suspect the K701 has a huge "burn time" due to the pads, if anything. I definitely heard a sonic refinement at the highest and lowest registers after about 50 hours, but after that, any changes were so subtle I'd bet they were more a result of the pads softening than anything else; the fact that the pads are fairly hard likely contributes to the massive cook time.

Ultimately, my take on it is that burn-in can certainly refine the overall sound, but if you don't like it now, you probably won't like it later.

[EDIT] Oh, and PS, something definitely did happen around the 400 hour mark with the M Hornet. My shared opinion and YMMV.

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Anyone want to go into business with me selling "burned in" 701s for a 50% markup. Why don't retailers offer this service yet?

We can wire up a source to a deep pit, and bury them like kimchi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It puts the snake oil on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 27
I don't have the time nor the hypercritical attitude for burn in or critical listening tests between sources/components, i just plug them in and enjoy the music.

A few folk have asked me if i've compared the ety's to the sound of my new set of grado's but to be honest i havn't compared them and prob never will.

If "burn in" is so critical on components then why isn't it done before the product leaves the supplier?, it should be pretty easy to rig up a reference sound/current to stabilise component parts such as capacitors/drive units etc before they are incorporated into finished/ready to ship units.

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 27
I always wondered how people keep track of the # of hours they have on gear. What do they do, sit there with a timer and when the proscribed "burn in time" arrives kick back and say "omg now the good sound begins!"? sorry to sound cynical but it's one thing I also never understood about audiophiles and the constant one upping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just plug them in and enjoy the music.

580smile.gif

I believe that's what separates enthusiast from audiophile.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenFountain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always wondered how people keep track of the # of hours they have on gear. What do they do, sit there with a timer and when the proscribed "burn in time" arrives kick back and say "omg now the good sound begins!"? sorry to sound cynical but it's one thing I also never understood about audiophiles and the constant one upping.

Well I can't speak for other people, but the method I used to keep track of hours on my K701 and DT880 when I got them was starting and stopping them right on the hour (any hour), so instead of counting minutes I just counted hours.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I can't speak for other people, but the method I used to keep track of hours on my K701 and DT880 when I got them was starting and stopping them right on the hour (any hour), so instead of counting minutes I just counted hours.
wink.gif

You only listened to music in exact multiples of an hour?

I don't want to be mean, but that is up there with the most ridiculous statements I have seen on this forum. I can only assume I mis-read.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You only listened to music in exact multiples of an hour?

I don't want to be mean, but that is up there with the most ridiculous statements I have seen on this forum. I can only assume I mis-read.

ROTFLOL. I didn't provide enough info in that post. I was referring to the mass number of unattended burn-in hours I did on my K701 and DT880 (and a K271 as well) back when I originally got them. Back then, I started up burn-in cycles at 7 AM, stopping them on the hour after I got home from work if I wanted to listen or just stop them for whatever reason. That way I was able to get the exact number of hours down.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back