Moondrop VENUS, PARA (hybrid default pads and EP-100A pads) and COSMO (re-equipped with the PARA's hybrid pads) Discussion.
Dec 26, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #166 of 444
It's me again. If you feel that treble is not good, you can try using a speaker amplifier to drive it.
If you want to exchange your pads, in fact, I have bought this pad before. I have bought all four types of hifiman susvara pads from their company, I'm afraid their sizes are different from VENUS. You know the size of Venus, and Venus pads are wrapped around it, so larger ones are needed. However, Susvara's pads are too small and also have buckles.I'm afraid their sizes are different from VENUS. You know the unit size of Venus, and Venus pads are wrapped around it, so larger ones are needed. However, Susvara's earmuffs are too small and have buckles, so they are not suitable for Venus.
Hi.

For my hearing, the VENUS's highs (with the large stock pads *) are excellent and work very well with my Viva 2A3 tube amplifier, enough powefull (2 x 3 W).

I was thinking more of you who, it seems to me, found the VENUS's highs less fine or "more aggressive" than those of the Susvara (a priori softer and smoother). In this sense, I was thinking that the DEKONI Elite Hybrid pads manufactured for the Susvara (if they are indeed compatible in size with the VENUS), and which seem to smooth out the VENUS's treble a little between 2.5 and 8 KHz, could improve (perhaps) by making the VENUS's treble smoother, but it seems, also to the detriment of the bass (see FR curves in spoiler of my penultimate post).

23122610350423553818326104.jpg

Large microperforated pads (on the inside) of the “stock” pads of the VENUS. Internal diameter of the pads: 75 mm. External diameter: 110 mm.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #167 of 444
Hi.

For my hearing, the VENUS's highs (with the large stock pads) are excellent and work very well with my Viva 2A3 tube amplifier, enough powefull (2 x 3 W).

I was thinking more of you who, it seems to me, found the VENUS's highs less fine or "more aggressive" than those of the Susvara (a priori softer and smoother). In this sense, I was thinking that the DEKONI Elite Hybrid pads manufactured for the Susvara (if they are indeed compatible in size with the VENUS), and which seem to smooth out the VENUS's treble a little between 2.5 and 8 KHz, could improve (perhaps) by making the VENUS's treble smoother, but it seems, also to the detriment of the bass (see FR curves in spoiler of my penultimate post).
To be honest, I don't think the power of Viva 2a3 is sufficient because its sensitivity is too low.
I have also played several tube amplifiers with even higher power, but I don't think I can convince you, so I'm just offering a suggestion. If you have the opportunity, go try a speaker amplifier. If not, ignore it.
Regarding hifiman susvara, I am not discussing it solely from the perspective of treble, but describing it from the author's aesthetic intention. Dr. Bian once said, perhaps including what SUSvara's accompanying brochure shows, all are restoring a large music hall, which is a very large and high space, so the sound spreads out, and your position is in the middle of rows 10-20 of the music hall. If you understand from this perspective, You can understand why Susvara's high, medium, and low frequencies are like this.
In fact, the sound of Hifiman's He1000 series is still in this style, but the sound is more lively, brighter, and even too bright, which greatly tests whether your system can suppress it. I think the He1000 series style is more in line with Dr. Bian's ultimate aesthetic (probably found in their flagship electrostatic system)
The tone of hifiman susvara is much more balanced, and it has similarities with the old version of he6, even if he6 is not simulating this large concert hall.
The sound of Venus is more of a flashy feeling, which is why I say it is aggressive. It is full of energy and speed, without too much aesthetic modification, just showing its power. At least in this price range, it is very powerful, it is a stunning earphone, not an appreciation. But in terms of details, the difference between Venus and Susvara is still significant. They are not the same style of headphones, and I am not willing to compare them in this way.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #168 of 444
To be honest, I don't think the power of Viva 2a3 is sufficient because its sensitivity is too low.
I have also played several tube amplifiers with even higher power, but I don't think I can convince you, so I'm just offering a suggestion. If you have the opportunity, go try a speaker amplifier. If not, ignore it.
Regarding hifiman susvara, I am not discussing it solely from the perspective of treble, but describing it from the author's aesthetic intention. Dr. Bian once said, perhaps including what SUSvara's accompanying brochure shows, all are restoring a large music hall, which is a very large and high space, so the sound spreads out, and your position is in the middle of rows 10-20 of the music hall. If you understand from this perspective, You can understand why Susvara's high, medium, and low frequencies are like this.
In fact, the sound of Hifiman's He1000 series is still in this style, but the sound is more lively, brighter, and even too bright, which greatly tests whether your system can suppress it. I think the He1000 series style is more in line with Dr. Bian's ultimate aesthetic (probably found in their flagship electrostatic system)
The tone of hifiman susvara is much more balanced, and it has similarities with the old version of he6, even if he6 is not simulating this large concert hall.
The sound of Venus is more of a flashy feeling, which is why I say it is aggressive. It is full of energy and speed, without too much aesthetic modification, just showing its power. At least in this price range, it is very powerful, it is a stunning earphone, not an appreciation. But in terms of details, the difference between Venus and Susvara is still significant. They are not the same style of headphones, and I am not willing to compare them in this way.

This is undoubtedly the case with the VENUS and Susvara sensitivities you possess.

I have other data for the sensitivities of these headphones; those that were actually measured on the same measuring bench, the one on the RAA site.

The "real" sensitivities (or at least those measured on the same bench) of these two planar headphones are as follows.

Hifiman Susvara, measured sensitivity: 94.8 dB / Vrms SPL; 82.7 dB /mW SPL. Average impedance: 61.8 Ohm.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/hifiman-susvara.php#gsc.tab=0
Moondrop VENUS, measured sensitivity: 106.2 dB / Vrms SPL; 88.7 dB /mW SPL. Average impedance: 17.7 Ohm.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/moondrop-venus.php#gsc.tab=0

With a 6 dB higher sensitivity (in dB / mW) of the VENUS vs Susvara (88.7 dB/mW - 82.7 dB/mW), the VENUS requires an amplifier 4 times less powerful than the Susvara to drive it properly.

The 2 x 3 W of a Viva 2A3 tube amplifier to drive a VENUS corresponds de facto to a 2 x 12 W amplifier to drive a Susvara, which brings it very close to the 2x 15 W of a Viva 845 tube amplifier ; this latest amplifier (Viva 845) drives a Susvara very well (I've heard it).

Otherwise, a small comparison (in spoiler, below) of the FR of the Hifiman HE-6 (6 screw) and the Moondrop VENUS; HE-6 (old version) that you like and which according to you would have for the tone: quote "The tone of hifiman Susvara is much more balanced (than Hifiman HE-1000 series), and it has similarities with the old version of HE-6".

23122602564023553818326216.png

23122603305623553818326233.png

23122602563923553818326215.png

23122602564023553818326217.png

23122602563923553818326214.png

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #169 of 444
This is undoubtedly the case with the VENUS and Susvara sensitivities you possess.

I have other data for the sensitivities of these headphones; those that were actually measured on the same measuring bench, the one on the RAA site.

The "real" sensitivities (or at least those measured on the same bench) of these two planar headphones are as follows.

Hifiman Susvara, measured sensitivity: 94.8 dB / Vrms SPL; 82.7 dB /mW SPL. Average impedance: 61.8 Ohm.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/hifiman-susvara.php#gsc.tab=0
Moondrop VENUS, measured sensitivity: 106.2 dB / Vrms SPL; 88.7 dB /mW SPL. Average impedance: 17.7 Ohm.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/moondrop-venus.php#gsc.tab=0

With a 6 dB higher sensitivity (in dB / mW) of the VENUS vs Susvara (88.7 dB/mW - 82.7 dB/mW), the VENUS requires an amplifier 4 times less powerful than the Susvara to drive it properly.

The 2 x 3 W of a Viva 2A3 tube amplifier to drive a VENUS corresponds de facto to a 2 x 12 W amplifier to drive a Susvara, which brings it very close to the 2x 15 W of a Viva 845 tube amplifier ; this latest amplifier (Viva 845) drives a Susvara very well (I've heard it).

Otherwise, a small comparison (in spoiler, below) of the FR of the Hifiman HE-6 (6 screw) and the Moondrop VENUS; HE-6 (old version) that you like and which according to you would have for the tone: quote "The tone of hifiman Susvara is much more balanced (than Hifiman HE-1000 series), and it has similarities with the old version of HE-6".

23122602563923553818326215.png

23122602564023553818326217.png

23122602563923553818326214.png
I am not interested in figures and numbers. I will try them one by one. This is only the part of the speaker amplifier that I have used before, not including the headphone amplifier(The previous headphone amplifiers were mainly driven for HD800s before playing Susvara,so it's not listed anymore). My ears cannot agree with figures and numbers. If I only look at the charts and study the numbers, it will be too simple.

Attachments

• e380.png
    e380.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • hegel h95.png
    hegel h95.png
  • mark585.png
    mark585.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PASS INT30A.png
    PASS INT30A.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • luxman l509x.png
    luxman l509x.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • yamaha as3200.png
    yamaha as3200.png
Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #170 of 444

It's much more than just 'power'. Based on those figures, to drive the Susvara to 110dB you need 93.2 mA RMS current. The Venus needs 87.8 mA, but with the caveat that the damping factor will be considerably lower for the Venus due to its lower impedance.

Bring the Para into the mix at 80 dB/mW and 8 ohms (manufacturer figures), and you need an astonishing 353.6 mA RMS at 110 dB, with an even lower damping factor.

So the pertinent information is, what's the current drive capability and output impedance of your 2A3 amp?

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #171 of 444
It's much more than just 'power'. Based on those figures, to drive the Susvara to 110dB you need 93.2 mA RMS current. The Venus needs 87.8 mA, but with the caveat that the damping factor will be considerably lower for the Venus due to its lower impedance.

Bring the Para into the mix at 80 dB/mW and 8 ohms (manufacturer figures), and you need an astonishing 353.6 mA RMS at 110 dB, with an even lower damping factor.

So the pertinent information is, what's the current drive capability and output impedance of your 2A3 amp?

Thank you for these technical clarifications.

To answer your question, I don't have the slightest idea; perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me in SE tube amplifier electronics will be able to give you the answer.

However, there's a bias in your reasoning; I never listen at an average level of 110 dB SPL (otherwise I'd go deaf very quickly), but rather at 70 SPL in a very quiet environment.

The Viva 2A3 amp can of course reproduce, with the VENUS headphones, a peak level of 110 dB SPL (but I haven't tried it, or very rarely), but I know that at this high SPL level (110 dB) my ears will saturate, with major "physiological" distortion, starting with the triggering of the tympanic stapedial reflex which will reduce the bass considerably to protect the inner ear.
I avoid this high listening level, even at peak (110 dB SPL), which is very unpleasant for my ear.
So the limiting factor in terms of maximum output current (in mA) of my 2A3 tube amp doesn't really arise in practice at my (reasonable) listening level of 70 dB SPL, with my VENUS headphones.

EDIT: I may have the answer to your question: I believe the output power of a tube amplifier 2A3 (SE) is 3 to 4 watts; for the Viva 2A3 amplifier, I think the output power is 3 watts on 50 Ohm (I read it somewhere, but I can't remember where) ; if we take the formula Current (I) = √(P/R), then we have a maximum output current of 245 mA from the Viva 2A3 tube amplifier; this is much more than the 88 mA RMS needed, according to your calculations, to reach 110 dB SPL with the VENUS, without saturating the tubes of the 2A3 amplifier, with reserve.

With a maximum current of 245 mA at the output of the Viva 2A3 amp (2 x 3 Watt power at 50 Ohm), we obtain an output power of 2 x 1.08 W (2 x 1080 mW) at 18 Ohm (= the impedance of the Moondrop VENUS planar headphones) (according to the formula P= R x I²).
With an effective sensitivity (measured by RAA) of 88. 7 dB /mW SPL for the Moondrop VENUS, we obtain a maximum SPL of 119 dB SPL, without saturation in current of the 2A3 amp tubes, but with definite saturation of my ears, with maximum distortion of the sound heard, hurting the ear at this far too high SPL level, very uncomfortable and dangerous for my hearing.

Otherwise, but this may be a mistake on my part, I believe that orthodynamic headphones (planar), unlike electrodynamic headphones, are not influenced by the amplifier's internal resistance; their damping is not electrical but mainly by a system of air damping of the membrane (and therefore dependent on the volume of air trapped in the cavity delimited by the pads on the ear). The smaller the volume of air, the "stiffer" the damping.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #172 of 444
I am not interested in figures and numbers. I will try them one by one. This is only the part of the speaker amplifier that I have used before, not including the headphone amplifier(The previous headphone amplifiers were mainly driven for HD800s before playing Susvara,so it's not listed anymore). My ears cannot agree with figures and numbers. If I only look at the charts and study the numbers, it will be too simple.
I agree with you there. Each headphones have its unique sound signature and provide a different audio experience.

The planar headphones have awesome accuracy but it fatigues me after a short period of listening. Great for gaming since you need to hear enemies. On the other hand I can listen and enjoy music on my Grados all day long and even fall asleep with it on. The measurements on Grados are just average but it’s tuned perfectly for a more matured audience.

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #173 of 444
I agree with you there. Each headphones have its unique sound signature and provide a different audio experience.

The planar headphones have awesome accuracy but it fatigues me after a short period of listening. Great for gaming since you need to hear enemies. On the other hand I can listen and enjoy music on my Grados all day long and even fall asleep with it on. The measurements on Grados are just average but it’s tuned perfectly for a more matured audience.
What you're talking about is also the reason why many new headphones don't sound good nowadays. It's not like taking out an instrument to test and then comparing it with the Harman curve to make the headphones sound better.
Making headphones is an experiential industry that requires you to constantly try, fine tune, and revise along a certain aesthetic logic. It will inevitably come with various failures, and one day God will give you a gift, which is a great thing.
Then repeat this process, so the truly classic headphones are both very pleasant to listen to and very different, with their own personality and uniqueness.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #174 of 444
Making headphones is an experiential industry that requires you to constantly try, fine tune, and revise along a certain aesthetic logic. It will inevitably come with various failures, and one day God will give you a gift, which is a great thing.
Then repeat this process, so the truly classic headphones are both very pleasant to listen to and very different, with their own personality and uniqueness.

Interesting concept.

There seem to be two different philosophies, two different approaches to trying to design a good headphone; I'll take that of a headphone brand I know well, which takes up this concept of an experimental, essentially ear-based approach to designing its headphones: Kennerton.
The only open planar Kennerton headphones I haven't owned is the Heartland: I've had the Odin mk1, mk2, Thror and Thekk: you can see their respective FR curves in the spoiler below.

23111904220923553818304697.png

23111904212523553818304687.png

23111904224323553818304698.png

23111904224423553818304703.png

These Kennerton planar open headphones aren't cheap (price from 2 to 3.5 K Euros), but their cups in rare wooden are beautiful, and the visual aesthetics can be appealing.
As already mentioned, acoustic tuning is not based on measurement and Harman or Crinacle target curves, but essentially with the ear; over time, you'll notice that we're deviating more and more from these "neutrality" target curves, to the delight or despair of people who seek or, on the contrary, wish to have a frequency response different from these target curves; depending on the audience, these sound settings will please or not.

Conversely, Hifiman in its early days, with its first HE-500 planar headphones and perhaps also with the original HE-6 (velvet pads) ; Sennheiser with the HE-1 e-stat headphones, and then more recently Moondrop with its two planar: the VENUS and the PARA, have tried to develop planar headphones with the greatest tonal fidelity, as close as possible to "neutral" and to the various neutrality target curves (or those that most people like) (Harman 2018 Linear Bass Target or Crinacle target curves); to achieve this, they had to invest in measuring instruments and industrial procedures to produce the desired characteristics of their drivers reliably and reproducibly.

23122508594123553818326027.png

23122508594023553818326025.png

23122707100823553818326458.png

As a music lover (and scientist), I personally prefer now this second approach; this second philosophy.
But I'm perfectly aware that others will prefer the first philosophy, especially if it suits better their ears and tastes. :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #175 of 444
Interesting concept.

There seem to be two different philosophies, two different approaches to trying to design a good headphone; I'll take that of a headphone brand I know well, which takes up this concept of an experimental, essentially ear-based approach to designing its headphones: Kennerton.
The only open planar headphones I haven't owned is the Heartland: I've had the Odin mk1, mk2, Thror and Thek: you can see their respective FR curves in the spoiler below.

23111904220923553818304697.png

23111904212523553818304687.png

23111904224323553818304698.png

23111904224423553818304703.png

These Kennerton planar open headphones aren't cheap (price from 2 to 3.5 K Euros), but their cups in rare wooden cups are beautiful, and the aesthetics can be appealing.
As already mentioned, acoustic tuning is not based on measurement and Harman or Crinacle target curves, but essentially on the ear; over time, you'll notice that we're deviating more and more from these "neutrality" target curves, to the delight or despair of people who seek or, on the contrary, wish to have a frequency response different from these target curves; depending on the audience, these sound settings will please or not.

Conversely, Hifiman in its early days, with its first HE-500 planar headphones and perhaps also with the original HE-6 (velvet pads) ; Sennheiser with the HE-1 e-stat headphones, and then more recently Moondrop with its two planar: the VENUS and the PARA, have tried to develop planar headphones with the greatest tonal fidelity, as close as possible to "neutral" and to the various neutrality target curves (or those that most people like) (Harman 2018 linear bass or Crinacle target curves); to achieve this, they had to invest in measuring instruments and industrial procedures to produce the desired characteristics of their drivers reliably and reproducibly.

23122508594123553818326027.png

23122508594023553818326025.png

23122707100823553818326458.png

As a music lover (and scientist), I personally prefer now this second approach; this second philosophy.
But I'm perfectly aware that others will prefer the first philosophy, especially if it suits better their ears and tastes. :)
Charts and figures can be classified as technology, and I am not against technology. The work that these instruments can do is simple and time-saving, but there is still a long way to go before good sound can be achieved.
Technology can only solve how to do, not what to do. Do these manufacturers really know what kind of headphones they want to make? Of course, this statement is too idealistic. Conservatively following the Harman curve may be safe, but when everyone follows the Harman curve, the world will be incredibly boring, right?
The Hifiman Susvara has the characteristics of Susvara, while the Sony R10 is another classic. The AKG K1000 has explored in another direction, and these headphones are interesting. Similar things are quickly thrown into the trash.
Unfortunately, considering the current economic environment, it is feared that various manufacturers will no longer have benchmark flagship headphones. I am referring to the classic level, not the price, and more manufacturers will release some low-priced products to boost sales. This situation is likely to continue for several years.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #176 of 444
Hi.

Let's keep our wits about us.

Are the 2 x 3 Watt on 50 Ohm (and 2 x 1080 mW on 18 Ohm) of my Viva 2A3 tube amp enough (in power) to correctly drive my Moondrop VENUS planar headphones with its 18 Ohm impedance and its (effective) sensitivity of 88.7 dB /mW SPL ?

To answer this question, I will use a comparison with a top-of-the-range Pierre Etienne Leon Maestral loudspeakers (that I owned) weighing 42 kg each, with a nominal impedance of 4 Ohm, 160 W power handling and a sensitivity of 93 dB SPL for 1 W RMS at 1 m, i.e. at my listening distance of just over 3 m from the speakers, an SPL level of around 83 dB SPL for 1 W RMS. (link : https://www.hifi.fr/enceinte-colonne/1288-pierre-etienne-leon-maestral-be)

To power this loudspeakers, I used a high-end AUDIOMAT 2 x 80 W class A tube amplifier (on the 4 and 8 Ohm HP outputs) ; weight 36 Kgs.
(link: https://www.highendaudio.fr/audiomat/archives/recital-mk4)

Listening to this system, the sound was uncompressed and the dynamics seemed sufficient. The maximum SPL (at the listening point, 3 m from the speakers) of the system was around 83 + 19 = 102 dB SPL (with one speaker).

Moving on to the VENUS planar headphones, with its measured sensitivity (efficiency) of 88.7 dB / mW SPL and a Viva 2A3 tube amplifier capable of outputting an output current of 245 mA and an output power of 2 X 1080 mW on 18 Ohm (the impedance of the VENUS headphones) ; well, we obtain a maximum SPL of 119 dB SPL.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...reasonable-price.970569/page-12#post-17886015

To obtain the same 119 dB SPL at the listening point, 3 m from my Pierre Etienne Leon Maestral loudspeakers, I'd need a 4000 Watt RMS amplifier per channel !

Even the Luxman L-509X amplifier with 2 x 120W on 8 Ohm (and 2 x 220 W on 4 Ohm) (weight 29 Kgs) would be incapable of achieving an SPL of 119 dB at the listening point (just over 3 m away) from these Pierre Etienne Leon Maestral loudspeakers.
(link: https://www.noir-et-blanc.com/luxman-l-509x.html)

I deduce that the power of 2 x 1080 mW on 18 Ohm (output current max 240 mA) of my Viva 2A3 tube amp is more than sufficient to drive my planar VENUS headphones correctly.

Morether, with a planar technology, the headphone is not electrically damped, but aerically damped; planar headphones whose FR is also perfectly insensitive to the amplifier's output impedance (unlike electrodynamic headphones).

23122808314923553818326823.png

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #177 of 444
Otherwise, to conclude my previous reasoning (post above), concerning the necessary power of the headphone amp to correctly drive the Moondrop VENUS planar headphones.

If a tube amplifier for loudspeakers (the AUDIOMAT Récital mk4 with 2 x 80 W in class A on its 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm HP outputs) correctly drives my ex PEL Maestral loudspeakers with nominal impedance 4 Ohm, power handling 160 W and efficiency 93 dB / 1 W rms / 1 m (i.e. an SPL of 83 dB / 1 W rms at the listening point situated a little over 3 m from the loudspeakers).
Maximum SPL level obtained with these PEL Maestral loudspeakers, at the listening point, with this 2 x 80 W class A loudspeaker amplifier: 102 dB SPL (with a single loudspeaker); well, with the VENUS planar headphones, to obtain the same 102 dB SPL on an earphone, you'd need an overpowered headphone amplifier with 50 times less power than the Viva 2A3 on 18 Ohm (which is the impedance of VENUS headphones).

Power of Viva 2A3 amp, which is exceptional: 2 x 3 W on 50 Ohm (and 2 x1.08 Watt on 18 Ohm, i.e. 2 x1080 mW on 18 Ohm); max output current of Viva 2A3 amp: 245 mA.

To obtain these 102 dB SPL with the VENUS planar headphones (for each earphone), an amplifier of 2 x 1080 mW / 50 = 2 x 22 mW on a load of 18 Ohm suffice to drive the VENUS correctly, on the express condition that its current capacity at the amp output is at least 35 mA (= 245 mA divided by the square root of (1080 mW / 22 mW)).

I'm not sure that a basic PC sound card (or the output audio chip of a Smartphone or iPhone) meets these power and amperage requirements.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #178 of 444
Otherwise, to conclude my previous reasoning (post above), concerning the necessary power of the headphone amp to correctly drive the Moondrop VENUS planar headphones.

If a tube amplifier for loudspeakers (the AUDIOMAT Récital mk4 with 2 x 80 W in class A on its 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm HP outputs) correctly drives my ex PEL Maestral loudspeakers with nominal impedance 4 Ohm, power handling 160 W and efficiency 93 dB / 1 W rms / 1 m (i.e. an SPL of 83 dB / 1 W rms at the listening point situated a little over 3 m from the loudspeakers).
Maximum SPL level obtained with these PEL Maestral loudspeakers, at the listening point, with this 2 x 80 W class A loudspeaker amplifier: 102 dB SPL (with a single loudspeaker); well, with the VENUS planar headphones, to obtain the same 102 dB SPL on an earphone, you'd need an overpowered headphone amplifier with 50 times less power than the Viva 2A3 on 18 Ohm (which is the impedance of VENUS headphones).

Power of Viva 2A3 amp, which is exceptional: 2 x 3 W on 50 Ohm (and 2 x1.08 Watt on 18 Ohm, i.e. 2 x1080 mW on 18 Ohm); max output current of Viva 2A3 amp: 245 mA.

To obtain these 102 dB SPL with the VENUS planar headphones (for each earphone), an amplifier of 2 x 1080 mW / 50 = 2 x 22 mW on a load of 18 Ohm suffice to drive the VENUS correctly, on the express condition that its current capacity at the amp output is at least 35 mA (= 245 mA divided by the square root of (1080 mW / 22 mW)).

I'm not sure that a basic PC sound card (or the output audio chip of a Smartphone or iPhone) meets these power and amperage requirements.
Do you know about the Niimbus of the Lakers? I lent one of my venus to someone who has this amplifier today, and the feedback I received was that venus sounds terrible. This is another time I have received different feedback. I wonder if you are familiar with this amplifier. Exclude an incorrect answer

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #179 of 444
Do you know about the Niimbus of the Lakers? I lent one of my venus to someone who has this amplifier today, and the feedback I received was that venus sounds terrible. This is another time I have received different feedback. I wonder if you are familiar with this amplifier. Exclude an incorrect answer.
Hi.

No, I don't know these headphone amplifiers, and you don't make me want to buy them: bad amplifiers?

To put my comments (above) into perspective, which must seem extreme for you (and I apologize for that), just like the extreme powers you use to drive the VENUS (with loudspeaker amplifiers), well, we can agree on one point: there's theory and then there's practice ..

In practice, I want to believe that your superb speaker amplifier I used as an example in my previous demonstration, the Luxman L-509X amplifier (2 x 120 W on 8 Ohm), drives without any difficulty, with a more than comfortable power reserve (which I'd describe as extreme), your Moondrop VENUSs planar headphones, like my superb Viva Egoista 2A3 headphone amplifier (2 x 3 W on 50 Ohm and 2 x 1080 mW on 18 Ohm), which drives without any difficulty, also with plenty of power reserve, and gives the VENUS sumptuous mids and racy highs.

And the same goes for my friend René's headphone amplifier (*), more modestly priced than yours and mine, but no less effective, which drives his VENUS headphones brilliantly and to the great delight of its owner.
(*) SMSL SP200 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA-888 2x 3W on 32 Ohm load and 2 x 6 W on 16 Ohm load.

These are facts we will not question.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #180 of 444
Hi.

No, I don't know these headphone amplifiers, and you don't make me want to buy them: bad amplifiers?

To put my comments (above) into perspective, which must seem extreme for you (and I apologize for that), just like the extreme powers you use to drive the VENUS (with loudspeaker amplifiers), well, we can agree on one point: there's theory and then there's practice ..

In practice, I want to believe that your superb speaker amplifier I used as an example in my previous demonstration, the Luxman L-509X amplifier (2 x 120 W on 8 Ohm), drives without any difficulty, with a more than comfortable power reserve (which I'd describe as extreme), your Moondrop VENUSs planar headphones, like my superb Viva Egoista 2A3 headphone amplifier (2 x 3 W on 50 Ohm and 2 x 1080 mW on 18 Ohm), which drives without any difficulty, also with plenty of power reserve, and gives the VENUS sumptuous mids and racy highs.

And the same goes for my friend René's headphone amplifier (*), more modestly priced than yours and mine, but no less effective, which drives his VENUS headphones brilliantly and to the great delight of its owner.
(*) SMSL SP200 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA-888 2x 3W on 32 Ohm load and 2 x 6 W on 16 Ohm load.

These are facts we will not question.

Have a nice day.
so which amplifier do you use to drive VENUS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back