Moondrop VENUS Planar (and PARA): two surprisingly good orthodynamic headphones at a still reasonable price. Moondrop COSMO Planar: New Flagship.
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #376 of 384
So after couple days of owning Venus i will probably return them. Soundstage is not wide at all, separation between the elements of the song is also poor, for example Monophobia from Deadmou5, i could hear clearly bassline even on my old Shure SE215 IEM. Hifiman sudara reveals more sound in that sound, i can hear elements of that bass that i couldn't on IEMs. And same bassline on Venus is like behind vocals, i have to focus a lot to separate it from rest of track. I don't know if its due to my lack of good powerfull amplification or faulty unit, probably first one. Or maybe i just like hifiman sound more. On the other side vocals sounds good, snares and hi hats sounds really good, I dig design and aesthetic, clamp force and comfort are perfect for my giant head, leather pads are bit warm. Shame, there is review by polish guy and he claims that with good amplification venus can compete with highend planars. So if he is right good amp/dac is way to go with moondrop headphones.
Hello.

A headphone can't please everyone, especially if you're addicted to Hifiman sound.

That said, here's what two VENUS reviewers have to say about them.

24042410310123553818394184.png

Link of this review here: https://headfonics.com/moondrop-venus-review/

24042410310123553818394185.png

Link of this review here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/moondrop-venus-open-back-over-ear-planar-magnetic-headphones/

For my part, when comparing A/B my VENUS (equipped with its stock pads) with my COSMO (equipped with PARA's alternative hybrid pads ; the COSMO's stock pads not having convinced me), I can say, for these two headphones used with a fairly powerful tube amp, Viva 2A3 (2 x 3 W on 32 Ohm) with a high-end dac (Audiomat Maestro Référence):

The COSMO is more resolute than the VENUS.
The COSMO is more fine than the VENUS, with a softer sound in the sense of being more fluid (the opposite of rough).
The soundstage width of the COSMO (equipped with the PARA's pads) is at least as good as that of the VENUS, i.e. wide and spacious; the openness of the soundstage depends also on the amplifier used; the soundstage is particularly large with the Viva 2A3 tube amplifier, which opens up the soundstage well.
The definition of the soundstage, precision of placement and also the 3D effect (with the instruments standing out against a black background) is clearly superior with the COSMO versus the VENUS.
The COSMO's treble (equipped with PARA's hybrid pads) is much better than that of the VENUS, more accurate in tone (less emphasized), finer, racier.
The midrange of the COSMO (equipped with PARA pads) is less recessed and above all more precise (and defined) and neutral than that of the VENUS, which (for the latter) also colors the vocals with a slight excess of low-midrange.
The bass of the COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) may give the impression of being a little lighter than that of the VENUS, but the COSMO's sub-bass is well present for SPL (the headphones go down very low in the bass and goes up very high in the treble, without excess), and the definition and texture of the COSMO's bass are better than those of the VENUS.
The COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) is even more comfortable to wear than the VENUS; it's a headphone that makes you forget you're wearing it.
The two stock cables (symmetrical) of COSMO and VENUS are excellent.
The COSMO is even less sensitive than the VENUS , and even more demanding than the VENUS in terms of amplification: you need an amplifier that is both powerful (delivering at least 2 watts on 32 Ohm and at least 1 watt on 16 Ohm) with sufficient gain, and racy in terms of timbre, to exploit the full potential of the COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads); potential that is great.

24042108442523553818393282.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #377 of 384
Hello.

A headphone can't please everyone, especially if you're addicted to Hifiman sound.

That said, here's what two VENUS reviewers have to say about them.

24042410310123553818394184.png

Link of this review here: https://headfonics.com/moondrop-venus-review/

24042410310123553818394185.png

Link of this review here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/moondrop-venus-open-back-over-ear-planar-magnetic-headphones/

For my part, when comparing A/B my VENUS (equipped with its stock pads) with my COSMO (equipped with PARA's alternative hybrid pads ; the COSMO's stock pads not having convinced me), I can say, for these two headphones used with a fairly powerful tube amp, Viva 2A3 (2 x 3 W on 32 Ohm) with a high-end dac (Audiomat Maestro Reference):
The COSMO is more resolute than the VENUS.
The COSMO is thinner than the VENUS, with a softer sound in the sense of being more fluid (the opposite of rough).
The soundstage width of the COSMO (equipped with the PARA's pads) is at least as good as that of the VENUS, i.e. wide and spacious; the openness of the soundstage depends also on the amplifier used; the soundstage is particularly large with the Viva 2A3 tube amplifier, which opens up the soundstage well.
The definition of the soundstage, precision of placement and also the 3D effect (with the instruments standing out against a black background) is clearly superior with the COSMO versus the VENUS.
The COSMO's treble (equipped with PARA's hybrid pads) is much better than that of the VENUS, more accurate in tone (less emphasized), finer, racier.
The midrange of the COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) is less recessed and above all more precise (and defined) than that of the VENUS, which also colors vocals with a slight excess of low-midrange.
The bass of the COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) may give the impression of being a little lighter than that of the VENUS, but the COSMO's sub-bass is well present in terms of SPL (the headphones go very low in the bass, just as they go very high in the treble, without excess), and the definition and texture of the COSMO's bass are better than those of the VENUS.
The COSMO (equipped with PARA's pads) is even more comfortable to wear than the VENUS; it's a headphone that makes you forget you're wearing it.
The two stock cables (symmetrical) on COSMO and VENUS are excellent.

yeap, u are right. Good amp is must for them and what i've seen in reviews they scale well with better amp gear. Its bit weird oversight by moondrop with that, most of negative or meh reviews were because of poor or insufficient amplification on reviewer side, they really should market this with better amps in mind. That polish guy wrote something like " for 600USD u get headpohone that can compete with highend if u have good amplification". So they are just not for me with my current poor man's setup.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #378 of 384
yeap, u are right. Good amp is must for them and what i've seen in reviews they scale well with better amp gear. Its bit weird oversight by moondrop with that, most of negative or meh reviews were because of poor or insufficient amplification on reviewer side, they really should market this with better amps in mind. That polish guy wrote something like " for 600USD u get headpohone that can compete with highend if u have good amplification". So they are just not for me with my current poor man's setup.
Hi.

If you want really excellent headphones that work very well on the simple sound card of a gamer PC, with quality bass, a very nice midrange and a slightly brilliant treble (in the manner of a Hifiman), with a spacious soundstage, well I personally use the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro (which must correspond to the new-generation Sennheiser HD-560S, a little softened in the treble compared to the first version); a sure value with excellent value for money.

23112910275323553818311375.jpg

Sennheiser HD 400 Pro (left) ; Kennerton Thror (center) ; Sennheiser HD-58X Jubilee (right)

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #379 of 384
Hi.

If you want really excellent headphones that work very well on the simple sound card of a gamer PC, with quality bass, a very nice midrange and a slightly brilliant treble (in the manner of a Hifiman), with a spacious soundstage, well I personally use the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro (which must correspond to the new-generation Sennheiser HD-560S, a little softened in the treble compared to the first version); a sure value with excellent value for money.

23112910275323553818311375.jpg

Sennheiser HD 400 Pro (left) ; Kennerton Thror (center) ; Sennheiser HD-58X Jubilee (right)
I have Hifiman Sundara, driving them well of macbook air m2 on half volume or of Fiio K5PRO with something like 30-40% volume and they sound excellent. It' super weird with Venus because these sources on almost identical knob levels drive them to similar volume, i dont usually listen too loud, and they are just lacking so much soundstage and dynamics in comparision to Sundara. So volume is ok but sound qality is nowhere near Sundara on cheap amps.
My next step is Hifiman Arya Stealth, they sounded good on my setup, bettter that sundara but i had to return them, probably QC issues, clampforce was so weak that they couldn't even seal pads to my giant head and thats was first time for me. Replacment just came and it's stay on my head like it should.

Attachments

• beb2ce24-b005-41f7-b712-98b50d74e384.jpg
    beb2ce24-b005-41f7-b712-98b50d74e384.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 24, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #380 of 384
Hello everyone.

I've just been listening to the COSMO, still equipped with the PARA's hybrid pads (which never leave it) with my Audiomat CD player, still with the Viva 2A3 tube amp, on different kinds of music, including piano with the French composer Claude Debussy.
Listening to the piano with great clarity, refinement and smoothness, always in the sense of great fluidity, without any roughness of sound. The left hand of the piano is quite light, but deep and expressive; the right hand is highly nuanced, fine, delicate and equally expressive.

Another listening experience, of a completely different kind, but very revealing of a primary quality of the COSMO, wich is that of the soundstage, both wide and spacious, I'd even say hemispherical, extending fairly uniformly, above and on either side of the head, in a wide manner.
Above all, the COSMO's soundstage is of formidable precision, with excellent, punctual sound focusing, well separated from one instrument to another, and very good progressiveness when the sound moves from one edge of the soundstage to the other, as in the video extract below; the spatial effect is quite staggering.
In comparison, on my computer, the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro is sadly lacking in spatial precision and even soundstage width, more confined, more diffuse, less focused, less progressive when moving sound around the soundstage.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #381 of 384
I'm excited to try the Cosmo, placed an order today. Sold my Venus a few months ago but I still have memory of how they sounded. Had them since launch and I always felt they were an underrated set specially considering it was Moondrop's first attempt at a full sized planar. They sounded best when using perforated lambskin ear pads from zmf (only tried stock and those). Sold them and kept the Aryas instead which I felt had better dynamics, stage, detail and presentation but sometimes I find the build quality lacking a bit more with HFM. The accessories are mediocre and after a year, the paint is peeling on the side of my Aryas, I miss the alu build on the Venus, not sure if the Cosmo is similar in that regard. The Venus felt like a very premium headphone when you picked it up and saw the build quality.

Anybody tried the Cosmo with the D90III and A90 (og)? Planning on running it with that stack and with my tube rolled TA-20 Plus with the A90 as preamp.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #382 of 384
I'm excited to try the Cosmo, placed an order today. Sold my Venus a few months ago but I still have memory of how they sounded. Had them since launch and I always felt they were an underrated set specially considering it was Moondrop's first attempt at a full sized planar. They sounded best when using perforated lambskin ear pads from zmf (only tried stock and those). Sold them and kept the Aryas instead which I felt had better dynamics, stage, detail and presentation but sometimes I find the build quality lacking a bit more with HFM. The accessories are mediocre and after a year, the paint is peeling on the side of my Aryas, I miss the alu build on the Venus, not sure if the Cosmo is similar in that regard. The Venus felt like a very premium headphone when you picked it up and saw the build quality.

Anybody tried the Cosmo with the D90III and A90 (og)? Planning on running it with that stack and with my tube rolled TA-20 Plus with the A90 as preamp.
Hi, there.

COSMO's aluminum building and finish are just as good as those of the VENUS, and it's a headphone that should age well. The COSMO is very comfortable to wear (more so than the VENUS) and its headband is more practical and imho more solid and durable for the fastening than the VENUS.

The COSMO's black stock (symmetrical) cable is very good, high-quality, robust, flexible, non-microphonic, practical and attractive.

Moondrop COSMO planar (equipped with PARA's hybrid pads) (left) and Moondrop VENUS planar (stock pads) (right) side by side on a Viva 2A3 amp.

Technically speaking, there's no contest: the COSMO far surpasses the VENUS in sound quality for resolution, fineness, delicacy, fluidity, dark background and soundstage precision, bringing it close to an electrostatic (like my ex-Stax SR-009 headphones).

As for the COSMO's tonality, it's a question of taste, but I'm not crazy about the COSMO's stock pads, which attenuate the treble too much (between 4 and 8 KHz) and make the sound weird and unpleasant for my ears (*). I found my happiness by borrowing the PARA's pads (that i own), which I installed on the COSMO: they have exactly the same (easy-to-use) attachment as the COSMO's; they're hybrid pads, more comfortable to wear than the COSMO's (stock) and even the VENUS's.

(*)
24042701071523553818396227.jpg

Frequency response of Moondrop COSMO planar headphones (stock pads).

24042710461923553818395641.png

Frequency response of Moondrop VENUS planar headphones (stock pads).

24042711174223553818395646.png

Frequency response of Moondrop PARA planar headphones (stock pads: hybrid pads).

24042712582523553818396190.jpg

24042712582623553818396193.jpg

I've also ordered the PARA's replacement pads, the Moondrop earpads EP-100A (**), which would be an improved version of the PARA's hybrid stock pads. I haven't received them yet, but I'll certainly try them with my COSMO to see if they're better or not, for my hearing, than the PARA's hybrid earpads already used with my COSMO.
(**) https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-ep-100a-openback-earpad

I have no regrets whatsoever about buying the COSMO, and I'd recommend it, subject to the tonality of the pads (nb: the COSMO's stock pads may not be to your liking); for $29.99 USD you might be able to find something to your liking with the PARA's hybrid earpads, if they suit your hearing.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #383 of 384
Hi, there.

COSMO's aluminum building and finish are just as good as those of the VENUS, and it's a headphone that should age well. The COSMO is very comfortable to wear (more so than the VENUS) and its headband is more practical and imho more solid and durable for the fastening than the VENUS.

The COSMO's black stock (symmetrical) cable is very good, high-quality, robust, flexible, non-microphonic, practical and attractive.

Moondrop COSMO planar (equipped with PARA's hybrid pads) (left) and Moondrop VENUS planar (stock pads) (right) side by side on a Viva 2A3 amp.

Technically speaking, there's no contest: the COSMO far surpasses the VENUS in sound quality for resolution, fineness, delicacy, fluidity, dark background and soundstage precision, bringing it close to an electrostatic (like my ex-Stax SR-009 headphones).

As for the COSMO's tonality, it's a question of taste, but I'm not crazy about the COSMO's stock pads, which attenuate the treble too much (between 4 and 8 KHz) and make the sound weird and unpleasant for my ears (*). I found my happiness by borrowing the PARA's pads (that i own), which I installed on the COSMO: they have exactly the same (easy-to-use) attachment as the COSMO's; they're hybrid pads, more comfortable to wear than the COSMO's (stock) and even the VENUS's.

(*)
24042701071523553818396227.jpg

Frequency response of Moondrop COSMO planar headphones (stock pads).

24042710461923553818395641.png

Frequency response of Moondrop VENUS planar headphones (stock pads).

24042711174223553818395646.png

Frequency response of Moondrop PARA planar headphones (stock pads: hybrid pads).

24042712582523553818396190.jpg

24042712582623553818396193.jpg

I've also ordered the PARA's replacement pads, the Moondrop earpads EP-100A (**), which would be an improved version of the PARA's hybrid stock pads. I haven't received them yet, but I'll certainly try them with my COSMO to see if they're better or not, for my hearing, than the PARA's hybrid earpads already used with my COSMO.
(**) https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-ep-100a-openback-earpad

I have no regrets whatsoever about buying the COSMO, and I'd recommend it, subject to the tonality of the pads (nb: the COSMO's stock pads may not be to your liking); for $29.99 USD you might be able to find something to your liking with the PARA's hybrid earpads, if they suit your hearing.
Appreciate your input. Placed an order as well for the EP-100A pads since I wanna try those out, don't have the Para so I can't try their stock pads on the Cosmo. I will try getting an extra set of zmf earpads because they will most likely get the job done as well assuming they fit like they did on the Venus. As for cables, I have the Moondrop Up cable and a custom pure silver that I can use besides the stock cable included with the Cosmo so I'm not too worried there.

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #384 of 384
Appreciate your input. Placed an order as well for the EP-100A pads since I wanna try those out, don't have the Para so I can't try their stock pads on the Cosmo. I will try getting an extra set of zmf earpads because they will most likely get the job done as well assuming they fit like they did on the Venus. As for cables, I have the Moondrop Up cable and a custom pure silver that I can use besides the stock cable included with the Cosmo so I'm not too worried there.
Which ZMF earpads fit the Venus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back