Moondrop Para - 100mm Planar-magnetic Headphones ($299USD ready to order, release date when?)
Sep 20, 2023 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pecotunkA

100+ Head-Fier
hi these Moondrop Planar headphones that fit below the Venus model just caught my eye but I can't get any clear info on whether they are "in-stock" or if there's a future release date.

I checked both Moondrop's official website and Twitter (X) account but can't find any info on the Para release. adding item to cart shows no additional information (you would think a warning would popup if it doesn't ship instantly).

google shows ShenzhenAudio as having them "in-stock" but when clicking through to the page and scrolling down a tiny bit, it says "Preorder for 7 days". not sure what this means could someone help with any info on the Para release?
(does it mean you can preorder at this price for a 7 day period? then ships on release day(unknown)? or does it mean it will be in-stock in 7 days at the same price?)

I searched for a thread but there wasn't one, so I thought might as well create one for discussion.

some of my thoughts of Para vs Venus:

Para.
135612-1.png

Venus.
135640.png

Para seems to use some different materials, obviously the pads are different they seem to be all leather on the Venus but a mix of leather and fabric on the Para. I am kind of worried about what appears to be a black plastic piece that seems to hold the headband on. it is a simple square shape though so if it does fail outside of warranty I think I can fix it quite easily.

The exposed screws and all aluminum construction on the Venus looks awesome and probably much stronger over time. one thing I am also wondering about is if both models have the twist movement for the cups, it looks like they do but I think their entry-level headphones the Void and Joker do not have the twist motion.
at least for the Para, it seems like that metal design get's in the way and the twist motion is limited.
I think I might prefer some limitation to the twist motion, I feel as if the sides of my head are relatively flat and if there is some limitation I think it will lead to a more reliable good seal from the earpads. also when there is a wide range of motion there is a chance the earcups might flop into an extreme angle (almost flat) which isn't what I want.
my beyerdynamic doesn't have any twist motion but is a little flexible and I never had a problem with fitment/wearing that pair.

one more observation is where the yokes meet the cups, the Para looks much better with a thicker screw holding the cups compared to the tiny pole that does the same job on the Venus. I also think the screw on the Para looks better.

also I'm aware of the questionable quality of Moondrop IEM's with pain chipping etc, but according to feedback I've read their headphones are built very well with just bare aluminum everywhere it matters in the construction.

other than that they are both dual entry cables, while I prefer single entry because there is less cable in the way. but I think I can live with that for the price of the Para. both have minimal design which appeals to me.

-

some additional info I came across from googling. quote copy pasted from weibo (chinese social site I think).

"They also seem to have tilted the cable sockets forward, vs the straight down, which was a mistake on the Venus, forward will definitely be more ergonomical and reduce the chance of the cables contacting your shoulders if you have a short neck. The yokes also seem to now be screwed in to the cups rather than pins, this is also probably an improvement; it's fine in actual use but my Venus came with the headband disconnected and the pins had scratched the cups a bit."

headband disconnected out of the box doesn't sound good, but maybe the updated design with (what I think is) plastic on the Para holds it on much better? I am hopeful Moondrop will have better overall QC than Hifiman (you would think they would put in extra effort to compete with a new release).

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 2
ok found the thread where Moondrop CS is responding to questions (I just happened to see the thread title at the top of the general forums home page).
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/see...player-and-2dd-8ba-flagship-iem.969802/page-3

for some reason I didn't see this when searching, maybe I clicked the search results and it took me to a random comment so I didn't realize the first post mentioned the Para.

going to ask Moondrop CS if they are in-stock or when release date is, and if pricing is affected after preorder.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back