Moondrop Kato vs Tanchjim Oxygen

Which is the better all round performer?

• Moondrop Kato

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Tanchjim Oxygen

Votes: 32 59.3%

• Total voters
Dec 14, 2021 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

venky

Head-Fier
Both are among some of the best single DD IEMs. Oxygen is more expensive but Kato is the latest one. Kato has some minor issues with treble extension whereas Oxygen some feel is a little too forward. So, which is the better overall performer?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 37
I have the KATO, but haven't heard Tanchjim. Compared go my Ikko Oh10, the KATO is more mid-centered, not a V-shape sound, and feels more in-your-face than the Oh10.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 37
I own the Oxygen but haven't heard the Kato.

The Oxygen's are very well-balanced across frequencies, but are not terribly resolving. Soundstage & imaging are acceptable but not spectacular. They perform well on most genres and the DD bass is particularly good for EDM. They're tiny, well-made and are close to the most comfortable IEM's I've ever owned or demo'ed.

They scale enormously with amplification, both in quality of the sound (general articulation & midrange liquidity in particular) and the perceived size of the instruments & soundstage. I strongly doubt any DAP on the market can get the most out of them, even beefy DAPs like the M17 or Kann Alpha. In fact I wouldn't mind betting they'll keep on scaling even with high-end desktop amps. A silver cable is recommended to boost detail & sparkle levels.

The Oxygens are terrific value and are easy to live with as a do-it-all daily driver. I'd prefer a midrange that was a little more upfront & present, but on the flipside they're non-fatiguing without feeling like you're missing essential elements of the performance. Sub bass thump with a quality portable amp is also highly grin-worthy.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 37
I've now owned both and feel the kato is simply a more refined and resolved device.

I have the Kato and the 2021 Hana (the mini Oxygen). I would say that the 2021 Hana curb stomps the Kato for refinement and resolution (mids and highs). The Kato has more mid-bass texture. And that Kato treble glare! Oh well, we all have different auditory sensitivities.

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 37
I have the Kato and the 2021 Hana (the mini Oxygen). I would say that the 2021 Hana curb stomps the Kato for refinement and resolution (mids and highs). The Kato has more mid-bass texture. And that Kato treble glare! Oh well, we all have different auditory sensitivities.
Which model has good quality mids/vocals with forwardness/note weight,
and which model is more comfortable to wear , i heard the Hana has the same short nozzle as oxgn , is there any problem for deep insertion ????

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 37
Then the Hana is a lot better than the Oxygen, LOL. I tried both on an iBasso DX240, Naim Atom HE and Questyle CMA 15 (Naim UnitiServe as server or dig player) with both 16/44 and 24/192 wav files, also a direct master dub and the Kato won every time. They were a lot more similar with compressed files so I could see someone favoring one over the other due to preference or system synergism. What are you using to drive them? I have never heard os anyone having issue with the Kato treble. It is a lower distortion device and the response between them is similar.

https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,Kato_Steel,Hana

I'd say try the Brass nozzle and find some tips that you might personally prefer the character of.
Here's a very technical review.
https://soundnews.net/headphones/iems/moondrop-kato-review-mid-fi-at-its-best/

Can't speak to the Hana but the Oxygen is phase inverted (below). It also shows more resonance (less clean) in waterfall graphs.
1642864000822.png

Don't get me wrong. You prefer the Hana and that's great but to say it stomps the Kato is silly when they have similar response with the Kato is demonstrably smoother and winning on technicalities.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 37
Uhh, wouldn't you say you could just reverse the 2 pins you are using? I can say that since I have opened an O2, the wiring is correct... or at least I think it is.

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 37
Uhh, wouldn't you say you could just reverse the 2 pins you are using? I can say that since I have opened an O2, the wiring is correct... or at least I think it is.
Yes, I have no issues with mine either. It might be something Tanchjim changed though, I am guessing that the older units might have been with inverted and not the newer ones. (also heard a rumor that Tanchjim changed the driver on it.)

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 37
Can't tell without a measurement but it's not a huge deal. Just a note. I can hear absolute phase on the files I use but have owned things like Grado GR10s that were inverted as well. On an absolute basis, I find the sound gets a bit fuller but less open when inverted and it can actually be used on purpose depending on the tonality of an earphone. At the end of the day, it's what you hear but the previous comment about the Hana vs Kato doesn't not jive with the technical aspects.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 37
Tanchjim Oxygen is not available in my country., It's my 1st choice before Kato entry...
Read O2 having fit issues.
Almost 99% said Kato is the best value for money...am happy with my Kato ...it's easily handle all genres..but still wanna try O2 demo..this iem curiosity is the never ending story :)

Feb 20, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #15 of 37
just get hana 2021 , if your library is edm metal rock or bass heavy kato would be a better pick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back