Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable for IEMs
Apr 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

moonboy403

Headphoneus Supremus
The Silver Dragon Cable is an aftermarket cable for IEMs. 

Quoting JHAudio, "The Silver Dragon cable gives a broadband +3dB increase in input sensitivity, as measured by Jerry in the lab."

What can attributes to this broadband +3dB increase given that the cable length remains the same from stock?

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:

"The Silver Dragon cable gives a broadband +3dB increase in input sensitivity, as measured by Jerry in the lab."

Why the lab quotes "input" sensitivity for an output device, I don't know.  If the lab means that for the same volume control setting the cable makes the IEM 3dB louder, then one assumes the series impedance of new cable + IEM is half of the old cable + IEM ... which seems unlikely.  File under "BS", probably.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
The Silver Dragon Cable is an aftermarket cable for IEMs. 

Quoting JHAudio, "The Silver Dragon cable gives a broadband +3dB increase in input sensitivity, as measured by Jerry in the lab."

What can attributes to this broadband +3dB increase given that the cable length remains the same from stock?

Link please.

Thanks

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 12

The higher GAUGE wire of the Silver Dragons improves the sound. Seriously the WHOLE four strand braided OEM cable before the y split is not even as thick as ONE side of the Silver Dragon Cable after the y split.  Last I heard that was one of the biggest things to have was wire of the proper gauge to run your component.

Also cant the fact that the wire is braided affect the resistance? I thought I remember someone somewhere saying that.

So I assume that the higher gauge non braided wire has better signal transmission and it might also be the fact it is better insulated and therefor gets less interference which translates to a cleaner sound..... I am not a professional or even trained just some dude on the net so if I am laughably misinformed sue me :)

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 12
Considering that for the 20-20000 Hz range, there's no more than 0.01 dB of attenuation in a regular OFC audio cable, I don't see how there could be a 3 dB increase of input sensitivity...
Quote:
"The Silver Dragon cable gives a broadband +3dB increase in input sensitivity, as measured by Jerry in the lab."

Unless that by broadband, they extend to the hundreds kHz or MHz ranges, in this case it wouldn't be surprising that you could get a 3 dB attenuation from skin effect.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 12
+3dB represents the smallest difference in sound which is perceivable, and even then it is barely noticeable.

even if the cable can do what it claims it can do, what can it do that a teensy-weensy, minuscule turn of the volume knob can't?

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
+3dB represents the smallest difference in sound which is perceivable, and even then it is barely noticeable.

even if the cable can do what it claims it can do, what can it do that a teensy-weensy, minuscule turn of the volume knob can't?

You're wrong, I can successfully ABX a 0.2 dB difference.

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

You're wrong, I can successfully ABX a 0.2 dB difference.

i wasn't referring to test tones. i was referring to normal listening situations.

if you can ABX a 0.2dB difference while listening to music, hats off to you.

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 12
Is this an attenuated cable? Russ Andrews sell attenuated cables which affect the volume of an amp. But, so can turning the volume control. ASAIK cable resistance can affect volume, but so what, it is not as if amps don't have volume controls. In any case, how do you justify spending $175 on a cable, when you do the same with a much cheaper one.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
i wasn't referring to test tones. i was referring to normal listening situations.

if you can ABX a 0.2dB difference while listening to music, hats off to you.

I mean listening to music, but to be fair,I also mean with next to no time between the two exact same musical extracts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back