Moon Audio 230HAD headphone amp / dac .... Anyone heard one?
Apr 11, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #32 of 42
I had a chance to audition a 230HAD for a few days courtesy of Todd Green (TTVJ)'s awesome loaner program here.

I just wrote up a review of my impressions of the 230HAD in that same thread, as per Todd's request. I compared the 230HAD to the Ayre Codex. Here's the link: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/800306/new-loaner-program-moon-neo-230-headphone-amp-and-dac/15#post_12495937

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #33 of 42
  Hi,

Decided to use one device for both DAC and headphone amplifier functionality instead of using Meier DACCORD and Musical-fidelity V90-HPA so I bought the Moon 230HAD. I also thought it will improve the overall sonic quality of my system.

Meier DACCORD build quality is not in the level of 230HAD but, for my ear, DACCORD sonic quality is better.

DACCORD sounds like it produce more depth (more body/life). 230HAD, compared, sounds cleaner/controlled but like it has gone through a noise canceling device. The first thing I notice was that voices on 230HAD sounds flat, and trumpet on DACCORD sounds bigger like they "occupy more space".

With DACCORD it was easier, for me, to get carried away by the music.

Note that this is my first post so I don't really know whether I'm using the right terms.

AKG K712 was used during the test and 230HAD was burned-in in more then 300 hours.

I think that the sound of DACCORD=>230HAD=>k712 was a little bassy but I believe that the K712 slightly emphasize the bass range.

I also considered the possibility that DACCORD adds noise/feedback which produce the illusion of depth but I don't have the required reference in order to test the theory (I did notice that crossfeed intensify the illusion of depth).

Well, now I believe that I have the required reference and it is not the DACCORD that add artificial depth, it is the 230HAD DAC that, for my ears, "kills" the music. After a couple of months in which the 230HAD spent in the box, I replaced it with the Luxman DA-250. The difference was obvious and, like the DACCORD, the DA-250 adds the missing depth.

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #34 of 42
Hi,
I've just ordered 230hd. I liked its sound during some audition. Usually I have been using coaxial connections with my other gear and other amp/dacs. And this is the first time I will use USB protocol seriously. Do you can recommend any particular setup for Mac IOS and Windows 7 computers?

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #36 of 42
I have a 230had that i used as a work/desktop system along with a mind180. I eventually bought a chord hugo2 which i believe is better (lot more $'s though). I loved the simaudio products. I no longer have that desk so if you're interested pm me. At 1500 its not competitive (ayre is probably better), but at lesser $'s this is a great value.

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #38 of 42
The 230HAD has a class A headphone amp if thats what you mean and can pretty much power most any headphone including demanding headphones. The DAC is probably the weakest link but it is a sibling to the dacs in the higher level units and punches out above the 1500 price point in general. Having said that the arye codex has a great dac in it and amp. It may not be quite as powerful but it sure is a good sounding unit as well. My 2 cents were that at 1500 its pricey. Below 1k it competes or beats the competition.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #39 of 42
The 230HAD has a class A headphone amp if thats what you mean and can pretty much power most any headphone including demanding headphones. The DAC is probably the weakest link but it is a sibling to the dacs in the higher level units and punches out above the 1500 price point in general. Having said that the arye codex has a great dac in it and amp. It may not be quite as powerful but it sure is a good sounding unit as well. My 2 cents were that at 1500 its pricey. Below 1k it competes or beats the competition.
Any thoughts on moon neo ace?

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #40 of 42
Any thoughts on moon neo ace?
Thats a good question. I have not heard it but I suspect its worth the effort but also guilty of the other sin of being expensive for what you get. With simaudio if you use roon, the big deal would be to make sure you get the mind2 not mind1 as it works with roon. Anything with a mind1 in it should be deprecated in price. Simaudio has nice sounding dacs from the few I've heard.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #41 of 42
Thats a good question. I have not heard it but I suspect its worth the effort but also guilty of the other sin of being expensive for what you get. With simaudio if you use roon, the big deal would be to make sure you get the mind2 not mind1 as it works with roon. Anything with a mind1 in it should be deprecated in price. Simaudio has nice sounding dacs from the few I've heard.
How does 230 compare to your Hugo?

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #42 of 42
How does 230 compare to your Hugo?

Thats an interesting question. I have the Hugo2 and the Hugo2 to my ears is much better and portable. The 230 has significantly more power than the hugo2 so if you need power for like the HE4xx's or other headphones that need it you may be better off with the 230. Ultimately the Hugo2 replaced the 230 for me. Having said that they were entirely different price points. I bought the 230 used for demos by todd and the hugo2 was 85% more in price. I was also looking to bolster a portable/transportable solution for myself which the 230 would be more difficult to do with. If you can't spend above 1k and don't need portability than the 230 is a serious contender. If you have extra $'s I would definitely consider the Hugo2, especially if portability is appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back