Montreal SSI meet impressions
Apr 27, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #31 of 44
Still interested for a meet either in june or august (while in august I may have some availability issues).
My B22 is progressing as well. Stepped attenuator ordered yesterday and enclosure today. Time for me to send the front panel to be customized and I'll be ready. I'll do some troubleshooting on my momentary switch circuit during this time
smily_headphones1.gif

Won't be able to bring my WA2 at the same time though...

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #32 of 44
Is the Phoenix the Audio-GD amp that was present at the FSI meet? I can't comment on sound, but one thing that really annoyed me is that it produced some kind of static sound when changing steps on the attenuator. That would drive me crazy on the long run, I wouldn't buy the amp for that reason alone.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #33 of 44
Yes it was, but I didn't notice any static when I used it with the balanced hd800 saturday. Maybe a bad contact when plugging/unplugging some phones?

The Einar sound guy told me he my amp would be shipped later on this week. Should arrive sometime next week I hope.

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it was, but I didn't notice any static when I used it with the balanced hd800 saturday. Maybe a bad contact when plugging/unplugging some phones?

Nope, it was definitely there when I tried the Phoenix with different headphones. Here's a similar observation I found in a review by Skylab:

Quote:

The only operational “quirk” of any kind I had is some very slight clicking when using the volume control, as other users reported. But it was very slight. And when using the remote control, there is no clicking when changing volume. Otherwise, the Phoenix performed flawlessly.

Not really a big deal, but I personally wouldn't buy a 1000+$ amp that is anything but completely silent.

May 6, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #35 of 44
Yes, I heard the clicking as well. I could live with it, as I thought the amp was great. MUST compare it to my beta22 when I fix it.

In the meanwhile, I received yester-day the IVY-III, which is Twisted Pear Audio's current to voltage and balanced to unbalanced converter: I will (hopefully) be ordering the buffalo Saturday!

YES!

May 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #36 of 44
My Phoenix should arrive next week.
In the meantime, my B22 work great with 3 channels now ... next step .. build the second sigma22 and test the 4 nd board and try full balanced.

May 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #38 of 44
No news from the einar sound guy, I have no idea when my amp will be completed, but I have something to play with tomorrow : a pair of paradigm 60v5 speakers...

Went to filtronique today and after comparing monitors and floorstanders for about 2 1/2 hours, he agreed to let me try them at home until monday morning. I set them up for 30 minutes, and my initial impressions : my preamp needs to be changed...
angry_face.gif
 I use my twinhead as a preamp, and it seems like it has the same character as with headphones... It fitted well with the hd650, but it made it a lot more neutral than usual, being quite bright and sharp on its own. I had tried the 60v5 with a cambridge 840c and a primaluna prologue 2 integrated amp, as it seemed to sound quite a bit like my setup with a pair of totem rainmakers they had in the store, and the paradigm were just much more musical in that combo. I then listened to my hd600s in the twinhead, and they seemed quite dry as well... I guess the raysonic helped a lot in that regard during the time we had at the SSI. I'll listen to the combo again this evening (2a3 need looooooong warm-up times to sound best) and will check if it has changed for the best.

For those who own good preamps, it would be nice if I could compare them to the twinhead it my setup. However, I will only have the paradigms tomorrow so I would borrow it only for the day. PM me if you are interested in letting me try something.

May 9, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #39 of 44
Wow, sounds great meet. Hope can make it next time....
beyersmile.png

May 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #40 of 44
I got my Phoenix ... It's very good.

The unit don't get hot ... with the upper vents it's barely hot. Under the amp where the mossfett are, it's very hot. Like B22 when I put my hand on the heatsink.
So, no problem to let the unit on 24/24 IMO.

May 13, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #42 of 44
I think we should start thinking about a future meet then
beerchug.gif
. Three different balanced amps would be cool indeed...

Anyone has suggestions on where we could have the meet in the summer?

May 14, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #43 of 44
I did some A-B listening tonight with guillaume's GS-1, my HB1, my AD2000s and my HD600s, and here are my thoughts so far (remember, this is with my Raysonic as source):

- I hadn't heard the HD600s with the HB1, but it was a revelation for me tonight. After hearing the k701 with it as the SSI, I thought they had wayyyy too less power to make them justice, but oh boy was I wrong. Although the volume dial is at 80% of the max, the HB1 seems to have plenty enough of juice left to put some muscle into the Hd600s. Dynamics were really satisfying, bass was tight and strong while retaining its el84 delicacy, and it had a fair amount of air around everything while keeping good imaging.

- Going back to the AD2000s with the HB1 made them sound really DEAD in comparison. I've just realized I had lived with that kind of sound for around two years now (with various sources but the same amp/phones combo) and enjoyed it as is. Reminds me of my speaker setup : I lived with NO room treatments for about a year, but hearing the same speakers in a treated room made my jaw drop, and I could never go back. After a full year of experiments and about 250 pounds of room treatments later, I can enjoy speaker listening again... I think the same is going to apply here. The ATs had a very collapsed soundstage, everything was smeared and blurry, complex passages made everything worse, no extension at both extremes, which is supposed to be a strong point of the ATs... The phones seemed to draw everything to the midrange, with a MASSIVE down-smiley frequency curve, and that was noticeable on every kind of music I put. Details also were harder to pick, but strangely I could still hear them after going back from the GS-1. I just had to focus a lot more on the details to make them pop. Did I say NO dynamics at all? Exactly.

- Switching to the GS-1 didn't really seem to help, although things sounded less blurry and more focused. Details were also more obvious, but it still was boxy, and dragged towards midrange. Bass was tight but not very extended, had no power whatsoever and wasn't strong enough to bring any kind of texture. After trying both low and high gain, nothing happened so I guess the GS-1 just seemed to under-power the AD2000s, just as the HB1 does. 

- The GS-1 was an upgrade over the HB1 using the HD600s, but not by much. More instrument separation, a bit more focus on every note, tighter imaging but the soundstage remained the same size in all directions, bass was just as strong, had a tiny bit more power but less texture, and it seemed to have less PRaT than the HB1. Voices seemed a little bit more distant than on the HB1, and it had about the same amount of micro and macro-dynamics. Overall, the GS-1 seemed to be more precise but the HB1 had bigger fun factor, which doesn't mean it was over-coloured or not technically good. The HB1 has a clean sound, but it seems to subtly retain more texture onto everything. For now I'll happily stay with the HB1s after I give back the GS-1 to Guillaume, but of course I'll have to compare it with the Twinhead (battle of the ASLs!).

- I hope the Einar sound will have a better match than these two with the ATs! According to what has been written already about it, it seems to give a lot of power to all the phones INCLUDING LOW-IMPEDANCE. Really, the things I've heard with my ATHs really reminded me of what people say an under-powered can sounds like. Also maybe balancing will shove some energy up their butt.

- Maybe these problems are just a source//phones mismatch. I will try to make the same A-B using my Denon as a source. It has a very punchy sound with especially strong bass so maybe it'll bring back the AD2000 to life.

Anyway it has been a very enlightening evening, and I hope things will get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back