[Montreal] Shure 1540 for Sale/Exchange or Just Suggest me a proper AMP/DAC for these

Best Overall Choice in terms of Sound Quality

• Shure SRH 1540

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shure SE 535 LTD

• Shure SE 846

• Campfire Andromeda V2

• Total voters
Jul 18, 2019 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AudiophileKing

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have a almost brand new Shure 1540 but I can't seem to get the best sound out of it, could anyone suggest the proper AMP/DAC for these ?

I am thinking of exchanging these for Shure SE 535 Ltd or sell them to buy iems.

Could people please suggest the proper DAC/AMP to power these ? How to get the best out of these headphones ?

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 8
Your headphone won’t magically change for the better because you buy a new amp or dac...well maybe if you go from a solid state amp to tubes, but otherwise I’d look elsewhere.
You don’t mention what you dislike about the sound so it’s nigh impossible to recommend you anything from your list.

Edith: The 1540 is an easy to drive headphone that should work well with just about any portable player.
It certainly doesn’t need an amp to sound great.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 8
“It feels not so sharp, not musical enough”
This leads me to believe that you most likely bought the wrong sound signature and no dac or amp can or will change the frequency response of the headphone.
No I haven’t tried the Cobalt Blue, but then again I have never heard any differences between dacs. Over the last couple of years I’ve tried my hand with blindtesting in order to weed out every bias of mine and solely focus on the music.
Long story short: I cannot distinguish between an Aune X1 and the Yggdrassil, Benchmark 2, Hugo 2. Last one I tried was between an iPhone 6 and a Chord Dave with the same result.
My advice to you is to find out what sound signature you like and then get a really good headphone that matches it. The Shure is a warm and bassy can that if you’re used to a brighter signature can come off rather bulbuous and ‘fat’. Personally I love it but can easily understand why some wouldn’t. Good luck:)

Edith: I strongly recommend you or anyone who is fumbling around in the dark regarding dacs to read through this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rob-watts-dac-design-talk.881644/
Becomes fairly easy to spot the ones who know what they’re talking about vs those that don’t and furthermore are trying to sell you magic beans.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Hmm.. I have to agree with you, I read this one too -

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

Does a proper headphone amp make a difference ? I am sure the Shure 1540 do not sound good enough (the instruments get muted) through my laptop 3.5 mm output but sound much better from iPhone 6 output.

Do you use an AMP with Shure 1540 ? Suggestions please.

The Oppo HA-2, or some of fiio's new dacs are very cost effective, and a good starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back