Montreal meet impressions - 17/08/08
Aug 19, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #17 of 20
I had a short but great time. Sad to say I didn't get a chance to try the Apache or the O2s though.
redface.gif

Thanks again Papo and it was nice meeting you all.

ps. The food owned most of the Lebanese places I usually go to.

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For my tastes, DT880 are better to DT990.

Didn't get to try if the 990 might be better suited for electronic music though.

Grand merci aussi a Eric et Mario de c'etre deplaces de loin
avec de l'equipement monstrueux.
L3000.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #19 of 20
Here are more detailed impressions. I'll go phone by phone, then amp by amp... not to compare apple to oranges, even though they were in different setups, but I believe a phone will keep its intricate character in every situation you put it into.

Hd650: I had never heard them, and had slightly mixed expectations about them, especially with two different cables and terminations. And the results were...... exactly what I had expected. The bass was precise and extremely textured, but it was not as tight and snappy as I would have liked. Even with the MPX3 on SE and with the apache in balanced mode, it had a noticeably bloomy character, and for a mid-head as me, it overpowered the rest of the music. I haven't tried it with my shanling, which has a slightly bright character to it with the stock tubes. Again, I definately didn't have the best experience with them, as they are 1000% open and I had to put it at much higher volume levels than what I'm used to, so take my impressions with a big grain of salt. But I still would have loved to hear the hd600 on the same setups.

Sr100: I liked the way these had a very balanced presentation overall, compared to the agressive upper midrange of my ATs and the sennheiser veil. However, no matter with what I listened to and with every setup, the midrange had a kind of brutish quality to it that made everything sound covered with a blanket. This was very noticeable when listening to movies. Again, I think the amplification was the problem, and that it would've needed much stronger amplification to shine on its own.

Sextets: I found those quite engaging and smooth, with very good midrange presentation. However, pushed by the little dot and the esound, it had very smoothed out transients and had some difficulty with dynamics, resulting in a sometimes boring experience. I could definately see myself living with them on a tight budget.

Denon D5000: I found them quite engaging for music with very little bass, as they seemed to give an extra oomph and texture to bass, but it overpowered the mids on most music to make it enjoyable for me. I think it would need very careful synergy when choosing the amp, source and even cables to bring it to its full potential.

more to come.

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #20 of 20
Don't expect too much from the HD600 .. they use the same driver as the HD580 (I am very familiar with) ... it's really not the same league. They don't have the same texture, the same airy presentation and the same soundstage. They only share the same "sennheiser" sonority. :wink: Maybe you can have another opinion of them .. who know! :wink:

Of course you have to raise up the volume to hear something. To have a good listening, you have to hear them in quiet environment and try different kind of music to have a good image of them.

For me, Apache vs MPX3:

Apache give more width, more details but loose texture (specially in the mids).
It's probably a dry presentation. It's not bad at all but I miss something I like with tube.

MPX3 give less extention but add ritch texture with a small bass boost in the low/mid section.

For Denon D5000, I played them with PinkNoise at 90 dbc for 48 hrs. The open up (depth of soundstage) and they recover in part the "hole" I noticed in the mid/bass section. They seem more linear now. I am able to audition them with more ease now. :xf_cool:
I will put them more burn-in .. probably another 100 hrs of pink noise to be really sure they stabilized.

My friend listen them and he notice they lack punch and something seem block them to explode (retenue dans la musique). I agree with him. Maybee another amp will help them in that area. I have a contact with a Larocco HeadCode who live in Quebec ... Will probably try to hear that in a near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back