Montreal meet at the SSI, april 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Apr 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And Peyot keep your nose out of it you were not there, you could have been then you would have the right to comment.

Excuse me ???? 
confused_face(1).gif

Can you read properly ? If so, go read again my message. And if you still don't understand, here is the translation : "because of that kind of risk I didn't feel comfortable to share my equipment with complete strangers in a public meeting and hence I have decided not to come".

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #18 of 36
Really sorry about your headphones again WyldRage. I'm aware that a lack of members in the room was part of the problem. Had I known you had wanted to go to lunch, I would've directed my girlfriend to the room instead of going to pick her up, and would have gladly watched (Ahem, listened to) your equipment.

The Volcano was the amp that I dedicated most of my time to, and at one point we had every headphone at the meet on the table with the volcano, testing the law of diminishing returns. :) While the difference between 200 dollars and 600 dollar headphones is quite drastic, the same cannot be said between 600 and 1500 dollar headphones. :wink:

In any case, those people who I met: Nick, Brian, and Matt, were all super friendly guys, who knew a lot about their hobby. We all had our different strengths as Matt was the only one to have built his own amps, Brian and Nick were doing really well with the Portable Audio side of things, and I was able to offer my insights on the difference between the HD650 and the HD800 to about a dozen different people over the course of a mere two and a half hours while I was there :p Needless to say, I had fun, and would definitely attend again. :)

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 36
Well, I did leave my headphone at the Volcano table, but they were apparently swamped with people and had so many headphones there that they couldn't watch them all the time. Oh well, what's done's done. I'm just hoping that it won't cost much to repair that frame, since it's just a small metal piece.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 36
Sorry LostChild1, I had a morning training on saturday so I only arrived around 13h30. Anyway, on my side, even though I spent quite a lot of time wandering around, making people try gear and explain to some the difference between closed and open headphones, the importance of impedance and so forth, I still had enough time to enjoy myself with the other meet members and the gear we had on hand.

My only regret is that the Ultrasone edition 8 were stuck at customs and we couldn't get a hand on them. Crap. I also missed the denon D7000, which I really wanted to listen.

Again, I respect Petyot's opinion that he doesn't like his stuff being used by others. It's his opinions, and it is fully valuable in the sense that he bought it and wants it not to be harmed. However, bringing my own stuff to the meet made me have the chance to try a variety of headphones on it and have a very good opportunity to see which ones have good synergy with it. Also, Petyot, by not coming, missed the opportunity to have fun with us, meet new people (and new head-fi members, since quite a few people told me they would register and become active, probably in the next meetings) and industry guys like the furutech rep, Samuel Furon from l'Atelier-Audio, Patrick from Audioshop, the UHF mag guy. I also saw the last part of John Atkinson, Stereophile's editor, about speaker measurements and why they are totally irrelevant for most people, etc.

Also, Petyot, you could have come to do PR and present the gear (as well as listening to it) without bringing your stuff, that would have been much appreciated, especially sunday where I was alone in the room from 10h00 to 14h30.

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #21 of 36

Quote:

As Papomaster mentioned the SSI group has mentioned that they want to do a similar thing in Toronto, I would hope that fellow headfi'ers would mention to the companies they deal with that their is a great opportunity to show case their products for free. 

This at 100%.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Did you get to use the Peak and Volcano I sent to the show?

Todd

Yes, in fact, I was the one who installed it in my setup, I can say that I was really pleased to try a Pete Millett design :).

Got an in-depth review coming shortly with the +++ and the - - -.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #22 of 36
I was at the SSI the whole week-end. I bring my Sony A726 and had the chance to try it with the Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, HiFiMAN HE-5LE, Audez'e LCD-2, Grado GS1000 and PS1000. My favorite headphones of the show was the Sennheiser HD800. I tried them directly out of my Sony A726 and was surprised by the good results. It was loud enough for comfortable listening. Even the guys from the Head-Fi room was impressed by my old little Sony A726 driving the HD800.

I also tried the FiiO E7 and E9 amp. I really liked the bass boost EQ fonction of the FiiO E7, though I think it has not a lot of power. The E9 was powerfull as hell.

The Sennheiser HD800 is my new reference now.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #23 of 36
I was at the SSI the whole week-end. I bring my Sony A726 and had the chance to try it with the Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, HiFiMAN HE-5LE, Audez'e LCD-2, Grado GS1000 and PS1000. My favorite headphones of the show was the Sennheiser HD800. I tried them directly out of my Sony A726 and was surprised by the good results. It was loud enough for comfortable listening. Even the guys from the Head-Fi room was impressed by my old little Sony A726 driving the HD800.

I also tried the FiiO E7 and E9 amp. I really liked the bass boost EQ fonction of the FiiO E7, though I think it has not a lot of power. The E9 was powerfull as hell.

The Sennheiser HD800 is my new reference now.

The GS1000 and PS1000 made an appearance? I must've missed it :frowning2: Shame...

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #24 of 36

Quote:
Again, I respect Petyot's opinion that he doesn't like his stuff being used by others. It's his opinions, and it is fully valuable in the sense that he bought it and wants it not to be harmed.
Thanks for respecting my opinion 
biggrin.gif
. Let me just clarify my position : I wouldn't mind sharing my stuff with people in a private meeting with some head-fier (known or unknown). It was the idea to have visitors of the SSI using that stuff that makes me uncomfortable. 

Also, Petyot, you could have come to do PR and present the gear (as well as listening to it) without bringing your stuff, that would have been much appreciated, especially sunday where I was alone in the room from 10h00 to 14h30.
I stated clearly in the previous thread (there : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534727/montreal-meet-at-the-ssi-2011/30) that I wouldn't be there, so there was no surprise there. 

BTW, my interest in headphones is purely personal and I don't have the knowledge, nor the interest, to educate people about headphones or technical stuff related to headphones. My presence to the SSI would have been totally self-oriented.

Having said that, I admire what you have done to organize that meeting almost alone and I admire your dedication to the headphones world. The headphone community should be grateful for what you did.

Once again, I stated clearly that I was not going to be there, so there was no defection on my side. I didn't promise anything that I did not respected.

Best regards,

Pierre

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #26 of 36
I was alone in the room since 10:00 sunday morning, so at roughly 13h20 I had to go out for lunch, so I locked the room and got back at around 13h55. If there had been more people in the room on sunday we could have had lunch at different times to keep people in the room at all times, but I was alone and extremely hungry.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #27 of 36
I only came Saturday, and let's just say I didn't want any more surprises.

Anyway, I should talk about my set-up a bit. There were two kinds of listeners, those who prefered the HifiMAN HE-5LE with the EHHA, and those who prefered the Grado HF-2 with the Castanet. I haven't made a list, but I recall it was close to 50/50, and I don't remember anyone prefering another combination. So basically, half prefered the precision of the musical reproduction, and half prefered the warmth and the emotionality of the SET.

And it seems like Tom Sawyer is a popular reference song.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #28 of 36
Hi All, I lent our our final production prototype portable heaphone amp/DAC (and my Senn's HD540 cans) to Head-Fi at SSI on Saturday. Anyone get a chance to hear them? Comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #29 of 36
No pictures? I wish I could have attended again this year, but I couldn't fit it in my schedule unfortunately. Hope you had some fun despite the little incidents. 
frown.gif

I have to agree with Petyot concerning public meets though, I'm not sure if the risk is worth it to bring very expensive gear at meets like that. Sure, people passing by would enjoy listening to a SR-007 setup, but it only takes one fool to do something stupid and break the headphone/amp and all the risk is on the owner.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #30 of 36
When I was at the SSI, the HE-5LE was already broken... This is very sad. But anyway here's some photos :

My wife with Sennheiser HD800

The Grado display

Users who are viewing this thread

Back