Montréal March 16th Official Meet Impressions
Mar 16, 2008 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Killercrush

Headphoneus Supremus
I think I'm first home so let's do this !

I'd just like to thanks everyone for the awesome meet, you guys were all great !

For those who didn't came, you missed a one hell of a nice day.

I'll wait a bit for my impressions, I need to free my mind from all this intense listening !!!

smily_headphones1.gif

PS : Love my newly tweaked Grado SR100. Merci infiniment Laurent !!!

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 38
Nice looking selection of Grados and other items. Never seen that use of Tupperware before!
tongue.gif

So, what is the amp at the bottom of this stack and what are the particulars?

IMG_0802.jpg

Cheers!

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Nice looking selection of Grados and other items. Never seen that use of Tupperware before!

So many Grado, so little time to try them all.
biggrin.gif

Laurent brought:

HP-1
HP-2
RS-1 (vintage with brown headband)
PS-1
HHF-1
SR-325

It's possible there was even more of them, I don't remember, but it was very generous of him to bring all these great headphones.

Also, Killercrush (Julien) had its SR-100 w/HP-1000 drivers modded by Laurent to fit in a black SR-325 enclosure. Those were awesome phones for the price, just a bit under the mighty HP-2 in terms of clarity and overall sound.

Needless to say, the Grado totally stole the show and there was not a lot of love shown for my Senns and DanT's Sextetts.
tongue.gif

Gordon's K1000 were incredible too, though I wish I had spent more time with them. The treble on this crushes everything else, it's incredibly smooth and extends more than anything I've heard before, but I thought it lacked some agressivity and weight for rock and metal listening. Also, the bass was a little bit lacking compared to some of Laurent's bass monsters (I have the PS-1 in mind) and even compared to my HD600, but Gordon told me the best way to listen to these is in sync with a subwoofer. Anyway, take these impressions with a grain of salt because I realize I didn't spend enough quality time with them.

I'll post more impressions later on the other headphones and amps that were there.
cool.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 38
Well at least I wasn't the only one that didn't knew about the sub-forum
biggrin.gif

Good meet guys, I had a lot of fun and enjoyed listening to about every headphone out there. I loved the grado sound, which I hadn't heard before and found them really comfortable and people saying they couldn't stand them really put me off considering a pair. Now it's probably my next purchase after livewires so all in all it was a very fun and informative meet for me.

Thanks to everyone for bringing such amazing stuff and being fun and instructive!

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 38
Great stuff guys!

Unfortunately, my tournament finished late and I got stuck in traffic, so I arrived only at 3h45. With the time required to unpack and pack my rig, I only had around 45 minutes listening to stuff, but still that was a remarkable 45 minutes...

My thoughts:

(I listened to all the phones I listed on the Esound E3 + M^3, except the PS1 on Laurent's MP3 player + the Grado amp and on my own rig for movie listening).

HP1 and HP2 : incredible phones, but they didn't impress me right away. I found them on the 'Esound + M^3' to be really close to my AD2000 on the headfive, although they were slightly brighter, and had a more constricted soundstage. They had a tad less lower mids and a bit more mid-treble, but had no real depth and height. However, they had a more neutral tone on acoustic stuff (and I guess on everything, but I only had time to listen to 4 songs on 2 different CDs), as the ATs give a meatier tone to guitar by enhancing the vibrato of the chord. I really believe that they would scale really well with balancing and adding some high-end stuff behind them (to really bring up their neutrality and tone potential, as well as giving them more detail to work with and bass detail and tightness).

PS1 : I embrace these phones as kings of bass as they are able to control even the most over-emphasized bass notes on recordings and give them the power and impact they deserve. However, on neutral recordings, the bass drowned everything (except the peaky treble). You could still hear the midrange, but I had to focus to 'hear' the notes. Enjoyable as temporary phones, but I wouldn't live with these as primary phones.
Nevertheless, I have to point out that these were MADE for the movie 'The Matrix', especially the gunfight scene
biggrin.gif

Vintage RS1: I had a very quick listen with those, but I found them to be really close to my ATs, having more mid-treble and upper treble as well as less lower midrange.

All grados: The fit was quite lose on all of them, but I found all of them to be rattling my outer ear. Even though I didn't have any problems during the 25-30 minutes I listened, I think I would have some problems on the longer run.

K1000: I thought the sound was too far from everything I knew to make a real diagnostic on their characteristics, but in a very inadequate room (full of people talking and walking) and without a sub, I thought they were very good, with bass being stronger and going way lower than I had thought previous of hearing them. Weird fit, but not uncomfortable.

Unfortunately again, everyone in the room wanted to listen to my ATs, but having 45 minutes for 5 different people wasn't quite enough... Most of them were quite fond of the DVD + portable as screen idea. I brought what I use at home : my Toshiba is used as a transport, feeding the Musiland through SPDIF, and through the video output into the video input of a portable DVD player. That way, I have a TV screen on which I can watch movies, and that's transportable as well.

Anyway, good meet.
Shame on everyone who said they would come on the original thread and didn't. 100$ divided in 6-7 is quite expensive...
mad.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Shame on everyone who said they would come on the original thread and didn't. 100$ divided in 6-7 is quite expensive...

Yep, I have to agree with that, and it's even worst for you because you stayed less than an hour.
frown.gif

I have to say though that it's the best 14$ I've ever invested on something headphones-related because I had the chance to listen to some of the best phones I've ever heard and especially the chance to meet some awesome people who were easy to talk with and share the same passion as I do.

So in the end, those who didn't come didn't lose any money, but they missed a great opportunity.

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 38
I didn't spend as much time as I wanted on every headphone in the place, but here's my take on a model with which I spent enough time to make myself a basic opinion, the Grado PS-1.

First, let me say that this thing rocks. Before hearing these, the best headphone I had heard for prog rock and metal were the RS-1, but the PS-1 are different. They provide the same kind of energy and forwardness than the RS-1, but they add the biggest bass I've ever heard from headphones. Perhaps they were not properly fed (I've heard them from my 0404USB/M3 combo and Dan's ESound/Little Dot II), but I think the bass, while great, was not as tight as the HP-2 and perhaps comparable to RS-1's bass on this level. But, and that's a big but, the slam and impact of the bass more than compensates for this little flaw and makes metal sound like heaven.

Soundstage was typical Grado from what I remember and the highs and mids were comparable to the RS1 by providing a detailed, rich and very forward sound. I've experienced the "bass drowning the mids" phenomenon on some tracks, but it's not that bad as the mids and highs were still very hearable, just less forward. I could easily live with this little problem as most of my music is not bass-heavy, but the chances that I get this Grado someday are very slim.
biggrin.gif

Overall, for every genre of music, I still think the HP1000 series are my favorite Grados, but the PS-1 gave a new life to some metal tracks that sound dead and burried on my HD600.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what is the amp at the bottom of this stack and what are the particulars?

IMG_0802.jpg

Anyone?

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 38
I remember Gordon saying it's some kind of DIY integrated amp, but that's not really helpful, so the best way to know would be to PM him. His username here is nightfire.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 38
Yes, it is indeed a DIY amp, they had a lot of features that sounded really good but I had no clue what they were. He built it especially for the K701's from what I understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back