Monteverdi's Vespro della beata Vergine
Oct 23, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd
I just bought the McCreesh version too, having been blown away by his St Matthew's Passion. But personally I find the 'stripped down' version a little disappointing and uninvolving. Also the recording quality isn't as good as the earlier Bach I mentioned, which is one of my favourite discs. Perhaps I just had too high expectations.

You may try the Alessandrini version, which is also done with one to a part
but manages not to sound stripped down at all!
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #62 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd
I just bought the McCreesh version too, having been blown away by his St Matthew's Passion. But personally I find the 'stripped down' version a little disappointing and uninvolving. Also the recording quality isn't as good as the earlier Bach I mentioned, which is one of my favourite discs. Perhaps I just had too high expectations.

I am an unashamed fan of McCreesh, and buy his new CDs on sight, as by now I know to trust him as never less than interesting. His Handel is superb and the series of mass reconstructions he has done are among the best recordings the early music movement has thrown up. However so far I am underwhelmed by his Bach, with both the Magnificat/Easter Oratorio and St Matthew Passion recordings being seriously deficient. Both seem rushed and brittle to me, and while it is a nice trick to play the SMP one voice to a part (and I enjoy sonic radicalism, particularly aimed at a work of this order), unluckily the forced pace and the disappearance of any contemplative side of this masterpiece seriously undermined the point. So sorry but I have to disagree with you on both your Bach and Monteverdi opinions!

The Alessandrini Vespers are OK - hard to say exactly why I don't buy into them fully, but there is a degree of volatility that I don't enjoy, when compared to the cooler and more "spiritual" approaches of Parrott and Junghanel. Not that it doesn't suit the music, particularly considering how similar the Vespers are to L'Orfeo in many ways, but there is no accounting for taste!

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #63 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
The Alessandrini Vespers are OK - hard to say exactly why I don't buy into them fully, but there is a degree of volatility that I don't enjoy, when compared to the cooler and more "spiritual" approaches of Parrott and Junghanel. Not that it doesn't suit the music, particularly considering how similar the Vespers are to L'Orfeo in many ways, but there is no accounting for taste!

I guess I like the Alessandrini Vespers exactly for the reasons you don't enjoy it then. For me the "northern" approach exemplified by the Parrott or the Junghanel makes a rather pale image for Monteverdi and seems to hold back on exactly what the composer sought to put forth with his adoption of the new, more Volatile style of "Seconda Practica." I chose Gabriel Garrido's recording of Selva morale over that from Junghanel and his group based on largely the same reasons.

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #64 of 71
Time to revive the Vespers thread.........nothing has yet surpassed my preferred Gardiner/Archiv "venetian spectacle" version but two more versions are awaiting delivery:

Christie/Erato
Suzuki/BIS

Also the new King/Hyperion has been well reviewed but I have not heard it, anyone else have updated info to report?

Still am not moved by "intimate" versions by Parrott, Savall, or Alessandrini, but recently acquired the Herreweghe/HM version from late 1980's and like it better but still not surpassing the Gardiner. Occupies a middle ground between the three versions above and the more grand scale of Gardiner, again a matter of taste as to what style you seek for your Vespers.

Have not heard the previously mentioned Jacobs/HM but suspect I would like it, very expensive used and new which has kept me away so far plus I think the Christie or Suzuki will hit the target for me, I plan to only keep 3-4 Vespers in collection.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had two versions if this work - a 2 CD set - both from harmonia mundi. Both have featured excellent performances but with some distortion.

The most recent one was conducted by Rene' Jacobs with the Nederlands Kamekoor.

I think the distortion is intermodulation (IM) distortion, and it irritates in some passages.

Can anyone recommend a better one with good sound quality?

B0000007AJ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Fascinating experience with this CD.

I loved the preformance but the sound was terrible using the Nad 522 many years ago. The sound improved but was still somewhat distorted on my E5 Signature CD player back when I started this thread in 2005. The sound became better, but still had some problems when I switched to the Rega Saturn 2 years ago.

Just recently got an E5 Platinum Reference CD player and the sound is great.

Now this has become a very satisfying CD.

It is now evident that the audio enginers maximally exploited the hall ambience in an excellent recording of reflected sound in the hall. This subtle echo effect adds body and richness to vocal or instrument tones, but if not properly reproduced by your CD player, the ambience comes through as phase (hall IM) distortion.

I really love the sound of this recording now. It is amazing what a difference a CD player can make on the sound.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #66 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Time to revive the Vespers thread.........nothing has yet surpassed my preferred Gardiner/Archiv "venetian spectacle" version but two more versions are awaiting delivery:

Christie/Erato
Suzuki/BIS

I did eventually get the Jacobs/HM Vespers in the digibook version, 100 pages including many great color photos and paintings. I kept this very good version as one of the final 4 for my collection, the recording is very detailed and brightly lit but perhaps too much so missing some of the macro grand scale and warm ambience of a great cathedral, I prefer the sound overall of Gardiner/Archiv which is still my
favorite.

61PE6Y27KYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

My 2nd favorite Vespers BVM is now Christie/Erato, has a more spacious soundstage like Gardiner and not as closely miked like Jacobs so I get more a sense of grand scale and distance with more relaxed smoother sound, my top 4 currently:

1)Gardiner/Archiv
2)Christie/Erato
3)Jacobs/HM
4)Herreweghe/HM

41N73HSPHEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #67 of 71
I also like the Gardiner on the Archiv label the best. In fact it was DarkAngel's comments long ago that prompted me to get this version.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #68 of 71

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
The best recording of this masterpiece remains Andrew Parrot - the intimate scale suits this music, and there is a feeling of connection with the words that Gardiner's soloists miss. Almost as good is Junghanel - these 2 are the versions to beat.

Art: You and Masolino both like Parrot, so I ordered it - $12.75 is a bargain for 2 discs: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:SS:US:1

Can you give the label of the second one - all I can find is a Raum Klang label with Junghanns as a singer.

Long time no here :)

Just heard the Raumklang recording for the first time and was overwhelmed by what I heard.  A very good performance and the recorded sound itself extremely atmospheric and involving.  'One-point recording' with just one pair of microphones used in the live concert probably contributed to this favourable overall impression.  The recording was made last century c. 1996 :)  I suspect the Monteverdi tracks on the well known Stax demo CD may have been from it. 

Dresden Kammerchor Ensemble Alte Musik Dresden Blaser Collegium Leipzig
Hans-Christoph Rademann
Raumklang RK9605

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #69 of 71
Have to agree with Dark Angel on this one Gardiner is pretty much the best that is, there are of course other acceptable 
recordings but for me if I am going to play 'The Vespers' it is Gardiner I reach for.

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #70 of 71
I second the William Christie recommendation as the single best version available now - and I've heard many. Now out as a cheaper reissue from Erato. THE best audiophile version IMHO. 20-bit recording is clear, limpid with great voice and instrumental separation.

http://www.amazon.com/Monteverdi-Vespro-della-Beata-Vergine/dp/B00PFAX73C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461106309&sr=8-2&keywords=christie+vespro+erato

It is also the most deeply mystical version, the one that will have you tear up if you're religious (even if you're not) and of all the recorded versions, it feels like the most heartfelt liturgical interpretation, closer to Gregorian chant - something you would hear in a monastery. Full of spirit. Contemplative, and somewhat more intimate too, despite the fact that the ensemble is rather large.

Grammophone UK agrees.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/monteverdi-vespers-which-recording-is-best

In contrast, something like the Martin Pearlman recording for Telarc, while astoundingly beautiful, feels somewhat more of a run-of-the-mill performance, something you would hear in concert. Less raw, visceral impact though. Leaves less of a lasting impression.

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #71 of 71
Check out the one on Hyperion with The King's Consort from Robert King

My favorite so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back