Montblanc MB-01 Smart headphones
Sep 16, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 46
Just noticed the Montblanc Sound app finally came out for these headphones. Will write out how nice the user experience is later.

Oh and there is a firmware update for the headphones. It took two seperate updates to get it done.
Screenshot_20200917-064432_MB Sound.jpg

Screenshot_20200917-064528_Google Play Store.jpg

So far I have never regretted buying these headphones. They are good for closed backs. My favorite are open backs, and my Sony ier-z1r for on the go. These are no ier-z1r competitors for micro-details perfection, but these are still very balanced sounding and with no breaking flaws.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #18 of 46
There is a lot of genre presets.
Screenshot_20200917-070149_MB Sound.jpg

As for the customizable EQ it is a simple 5-band.
Screenshot_20200917-070159_MB Sound.jpg

5-band is too small; like there is no subbass band unfortunately. The midbass on these headphones is perfect and I suggest not touching then 180Hz and 480Hz....all it could be nice is to boost the 8kHz and 54kHz for a psuedo-highshelf.

(If you want it to be leaner then do indeed touch the 180Hz band, so the treble can stand out more cleaely)

Also comes with a full digital manual on using the device. Including a reminder on how to turn off the detector that auto-offs when you take off the headphones. Hopefully the firmware update has made that better.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #19 of 46
There is a lot of genre presets.
Screenshot_20200917-070149_MB Sound.jpg

As for the customizable EQ it is a simple 5-band.
Screenshot_20200917-070159_MB Sound.jpg
5-band is too small; like there is no subbass band unfortunately. The midbass on these headphones is perfect and I suggest not touching then 180Hz and 480Hz....all it could be nice is to boost the 8kHz and 54kHz for a psuedo-highshelf.

Also comes with a full digital manual on using the device. Including a reminder on how to turn off the detector that auto-offs when you take off the headphones. Hopefully the firmware update has made that better.
Thanks to your post I downloaded the app and have been playing around with it. They did a nice job with the graphics. Have you found a way to save custom settings? Mine delete every time I switch to a preset.

Due to covid my air travel has been at a stand still, but definitely looking forward to bringing these along when i start flying again.

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #20 of 46
Custom is not saving for me.

Also I just noticed the techno preset has different 5 bands for EQing. Like 88hz bass band.

This techno preset is at 90hz, and my other screenshots above show different band locations not 90hz. So a band closer to subbass for bassheads; you want to modify the techno preset.
Screenshot_20200919-225011_MB Sound.jpg

What I am using modifying then techno preset
Screenshot_20200919-230347_MB Sound.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #23 of 46
After updating the firmware, does the app says "Current firmware: 2.22.1" ?
Even if i get the notification saying "Update Done", this Tab is not up to date.

I can't be sure if the Android App is wrong, or if the update really failed.
Did you resolve this problem???

I can't seem to update the firmware on iOS or Android and it disconnects regularly.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #24 of 46
Just got these headphones and am pretty impressed by them.

Very comfortable. Warm sounding and full with a nice wide soundstage. punchy but smooth at the same time. Nice and balanced.

I have the px7 and Sony 1000xm4 and momentum 3. The noise cancelling is much better than the momentum 3s and definitely on par with px7.... Perhaps a bit less than the Sony but not by much at all.

The battery is the only real let down... I get about 18hrs.... But if you are used to average battery with momentum 3, then you won't sweat these....

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #25 of 46
I got mine 2 days ago. Flies under the radar because let’s face it, no one would take Mont Blanc seriously to launch good bluetooth headphones.

I’ve liked it on a couple of stores visits so decided to pull the trigger.

It has a nice and balanced sound indeed, and the ANC is OK.

I’ve been comparing it with the Shure Aonic 50. No doubt the Shure is a way smarter buy. Has better definition, bigger soundstage, costs much less, and is better on the feature side. Aonic’s ANC is garbage though, and ruins the sound, making it horribly V-shaped. If you need to use the ANC go for the Mont Blanc between these two.

Of course when it comes to Mont Blanc you’re paying a premium for that kind of experience design and finish wise, and that’s fine by me. I’m a fan of the brand and that weighted on my decision. But the biggest drawback is how clunky it is to use its features.

First, the controls. Feels like you’re controlling something either oldschool or cheap. To toggle between live mode, ANC on and ANC off is super slow. First the mode changes, then a super slow (and lo-fi) voice tells you what just happened. And sometimes if you toggle too fast (too fast in that case is not that fast btw) between modes the voice announcement gets lost (does not know which mode to announce, does not lowers the music volume so gets lost in the back of the mix), or does not happen at all.

Speaking on that voice, you don’t even get battery percentage. So it only says high, medium or low level.

But the worse is the app. The biggest problem is the EQ. I can only enjoy these headphones when the EQ is set to custom on everything flat (which is standard). However, for some reason (I’m still not able to correctly pinpoint the pattern) sometimes the custom preset changes on its own! And it SUCKS, turns the cans into Beats by dr. Dre.

It happens sometimes when I’m listening to music and then decide to watch a youtube video and go back to the music. Or when someone calls me and I get back to the music afterwards. The headphones out of the blue start sounding boomy and bassy and when I check the app the custom preset boosted the bass by itself. This happened 100% of the time when I switched between the Aonic and the mb01 when I was a/b testing. Absolutely annoying. Also, there’s no option to save your custom preset, which sucks.

So yeah, I hope Mont Blanc fixes this asap. That stuff is aliexpress-level.

Good pair of headphones, nothing special. Great looks and a nice buy if you’re a fan of the brand.

Jun 27, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #26 of 46
I think their next iteration should be in partnership with Sony/Bose. At the end of the day tech and audio is not their expertise. They are good with pens and some leather goods.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #27 of 46
I think their next iteration should be in partnership with Sony/Bose. At the end of the day tech and audio is not their expertise. They are good with pens and some leather goods.

they’re better off without Bose, honestly. Should partner with someone else.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #28 of 46

You are forgetting they partnered with Rosson (Audeze).

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #29 of 46
I have tried these and they are a thing of beauty. They sound good too, but a little too much bass boost for me.

However if you are in the market for ANC BT headphones and are willing to pay for premium then check out the B&O H95. This flagship is a lot better than their others, and sounds better than any other BT ANC headphone I've tried. It is on a par with Audezez Mobius and far better built. Controls work well too.

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #30 of 46
I got mine 2 days ago. Flies under the radar because let’s face it, no one would take Mont Blanc seriously to launch good bluetooth headphones.

I’ve liked it on a couple of stores visits so decided to pull the trigger.

It has a nice and balanced sound indeed, and the ANC is OK.

I’ve been comparing it with the Shure Aonic 50. No doubt the Shure is a way smarter buy. Has better definition, bigger soundstage, costs much less, and is better on the feature side. Aonic’s ANC is garbage though, and ruins the sound, making it horribly V-shaped. If you need to use the ANC go for the Mont Blanc between these two.

Of course when it comes to Mont Blanc you’re paying a premium for that kind of experience design and finish wise, and that’s fine by me. I’m a fan of the brand and that weighted on my decision. But the biggest drawback is how clunky it is to use its features.

First, the controls. Feels like you’re controlling something either oldschool or cheap. To toggle between live mode, ANC on and ANC off is super slow. First the mode changes, then a super slow (and lo-fi) voice tells you what just happened. And sometimes if you toggle too fast (too fast in that case is not that fast btw) between modes the voice announcement gets lost (does not know which mode to announce, does not lowers the music volume so gets lost in the back of the mix), or does not happen at all.

Speaking on that voice, you don’t even get battery percentage. So it only says high, medium or low level.

But the worse is the app. The biggest problem is the EQ. I can only enjoy these headphones when the EQ is set to custom on everything flat (which is standard). However, for some reason (I’m still not able to correctly pinpoint the pattern) sometimes the custom preset changes on its own! And it SUCKS, turns the cans into Beats by dr. Dre.

It happens sometimes when I’m listening to music and then decide to watch a youtube video and go back to the music. Or when someone calls me and I get back to the music afterwards. The headphones out of the blue start sounding boomy and bassy and when I check the app the custom preset boosted the bass by itself. This happened 100% of the time when I switched between the Aonic and the mb01 when I was a/b testing. Absolutely annoying. Also, there’s no option to save your custom preset, which sucks.

So yeah, I hope Mont Blanc fixes this asap. That stuff is aliexpress-level.

Good pair of headphones, nothing special. Great looks and a nice buy if you’re a fan of the brand.
Yes, agree about the app. They sound good wired, and if you use the eq on your dap...they can sound quite amazing. I lower the bass or up the mids. They have the capacity to sound truly great that way... Though understand some want the BT aspect....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back