Monsters Dr Dre : Aren't they terrible?
Mar 12, 2010 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
I went to a IT show fair in town earlier on and I came across a headphone made by Monster that cost about usd400. I managed to hook a demo set to my ipod and .... it was horrible for the price. It was 'monsterious' in their bass performance but the mids and highs were terrible. Anyone heard of them? My apologies for those who happen to like them.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 19
I agree. Tried these at a local hi fi store. My IE8 IEM sounds much better than these full blown headphones. They are terrible overpriced. But i guess if one are looking for a noise canceling headphone with ok sound they are ok. But they are not worth 400 $ or 550 here in Norway.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 19
Heard them at a Apple store, totally terrible as expected. But staff still say its a awesome phone and I should try it, where I am using a TF10 when I was there...

I rate my long gone CAL!/D1001 well over this.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 19
See more and more young guys/girls walking around with them on, just wonder how their brains are doing by end of the day
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See more and more young guys/girls walking around with them on, just wonder how their brains are doing by end of the day
biggrin.gif

I met Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph, Hasheem Thabeet, and Marcus Williams (they were in town) and all had Beats headphones. I'm thinking Dre and the NBA got some sort of exclusive partnership. Or it's just an amazing coincidence.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 19
I've heard them in a bestbuy store and they had the Beats and Solos to try. I had my Grado 60i's to compare. The Beats didn't sound all that bad actually. The bass was not bloated. The mids were alittle lacking compared the Grado's. The highs were there. The Solo's sucked. They were terrible. Muffled sound and muddy bass. Btw, I broke the Beats. The metal head band snapped when I took them off my head. Not worth the price tag at all. I put my Grado's on and everything was better.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 19
I don't think they're awful for an unamped noise cancelling headphone solely for hip hop. NBA players love them because they predominantly listen to hip hop, they need noise cancelling for noisy pregame, airplanes, etc. And they're stylish in a new urban sort of way and have street cred. Also 'Bron gave a pair to all his olympic teammates.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 19
Not worth the price. If they sold for $100 USD, I would still have reservations recommending them to my friends. They are not worth their MSRP. I thought the frequency response was wacky and felt like it was overly compensating for the inadequacies of overly processed studio recordings played back from poor sources. I wish its styling matched its performance.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 19
Not worth the price. Almost all demo Beats at any Best Buy here are broken in the headband, and sound mediocre at best. There are loads of other good headphones at that price range which sound lightyears better than the Beats. Come on, even the demo HD238 pwns this overpriced piece of paperweight.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 19
hd650, K702, ad900,d5000, hd600, sr325i and many more sound better than the monster dr dre. Its simply insanely overpriced.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd650, K702, ad900,d5000, hd600, sr325i and many more sound better than the monster dr dre. Its simply insanely overpriced.

None of these are even remotely comparable to the beats. They are supposed to do entirely different things. Beats are noise cancelling and aimed at people who listen primarily to hip hop. Those, um, aren't.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 19
The ones I heard awhile ago at an Apple Store were a bit better sounding than the Bose Triport and QC2 (pretty sure those were the models), but not by much. Just cleaner sound on the highs and lows.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of these are even remotely comparable to the beats. They are supposed to do entirely different things. Beats are noise cancelling and aimed at people who listen primarily to hip hop. Those, um, aren't.

In this perpective, i agree. For hiphop and noise cancelling function, this headphone performs well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back