Monster Turbines
Aug 5, 2009 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jj94

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my eye on these for a while now, and I really like what people have to say about them. But the one thing that has me concerned is that there is nothing to protect the wires from fraying at the ends. For those who have these, are the cords durable enough to endure everyday wear and tear?

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 10
define 'normal'. the turbine is pretty par for earphones even in the price range for construction quality, but it is far, far below what consumers should expect. i would always keep them wrapped up in the toss-pouch and be careful when inserting and taking them from your ears.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 10
Hmm. For normal, I just meant carrying them in your pockets or bag and using them a few hours a day while walking around. What are some of the cons for the Turbines?

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
define 'normal'. the turbine is pretty par for earphones even in the price range for construction quality, but it is far, far below what consumers should expect. i would always keep them wrapped up in the toss-pouch and be careful when inserting and taking them from your ears.

Agreed. Handle these with care. I always keep mine wrapped in the pouch and then in my Waterfield iPod bag when not in use. Great sound. Crappy cord with no strain relief at the plug.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Oh. Alright, well I started looking around for something other than the Turbines, but I may always come back to these. Thanks guys.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 10
haha - if you want a better constructed earphone, there are not many good options unless you go um1 from westone, maybe kilipsch image s4 or so, but most are quite horrible in construction.

the turbine is rather par for the course - but is far behind what it should be. the worst i have used has been the wm2 from mingo which sounds amazing, but... is constructed below expectations. the same with the audeo pfe. the q-jay from jays is almost good enough, but most of these are saving mere pennies by cheapening their construction methods.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 10
haha - if you want a better constructed earphone, there are not many good options unless you go um1 from westone, maybe kilipsch image s4 or so, but most are quite horrible in construction.

the turbine is rather par for the course - but is far behind what it should be. the worst i have used has been the wm2 from mingo which sounds amazing, but... is constructed below expectations. the same with the audeo pfe. the q-jay from jays is almost good enough, but most of these are saving mere pennies by cheapening their construction methods.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Well, I've had the turbine for 3 months now and I wear use them almost daily while at work with an average of 6 hrs listening time (I'm an auto technician so the Turbines are in a very hostile environment) But I do tuck the cables under my shirt and route the wire through my belt loop and finally into my ipod which is in my pants pocket.

So far, I haven't had any issues with the cable and yes I also store them in a pouch when not in use.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Maybe I'm gentle with my stuff but I still have a pair of Sony MDR-EX70s that I bought in 2001 that have a similar cable to the Turbines in perfect condition. Granted I don't use them any more but until I found this dreadful place I did use them every day.
wink.gif
I only had my Turbines for 3 months but I did not have any problems with the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back