Monster Turbines...revisions?
Sep 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SantinoSan

Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've had the Monster Turbines for about 4 months now, and while I loved their bass, I was always less enamored with the treble clarity and extension...not to mention a bit of sibilance.

Well, their build quality was a bit suspect as far as strain releif goes, and mine were no exception, so when the wires on the splitter were starting to pull out. So I called Monster and received a replacement. Pretty well handled.

Anyway, onto my point. There are some cosmetic differences between the ones I returned, mostly just in markings, but the metal housing also. The nozzle is now tapered, making it easier to put on new tips. The biggest difference that I can say is the sound. These are not as broken in as my old ones, but I definately notice a change. The replacements seem to have more detail in the treble as well as extension. Also almost gone is the sibilance that was starting to annoy me before. I listened to my old ones for aroung 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week, so I was very familiar with the sound. The replacements just sound all around better in the high end. The bass and mids seem to be about the same...though the lower mids/upper bass does not seem as bloated to me. Of this I am not convinced though.

Not sure if Monster made any driver changes, or refinements, but I will say I really am enjoying these again. Still not as refined in the treble range as balanced drivers I have heard, but the bass is really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back