Monster Turbines (NOT PRO) or Klipsch Image S4
Aug 26, 2011 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SikkNazty

Head-Fier
I currently own the Sennheiser CX500... Is there a big difference between my CX500s and the Klipsch S4/Turbines (not pro)? I find my CX500s produce good bass but the trebles are too muffled...

Anyways I've heard that both of these IEMs have great sound! I'm a bass head (i have an alpine type-r in my room....) and i'm wondering which has more punchy/deep bass. I also heard they both have great trebles, but which is more detailed and precise? Last but not least, I mostly listen to electro house and dubstep. So I NEED bass! On top of that, I will also need crisp and accurate highs. :)

Also, do amps really make a big difference?

Are there any other headphones in the $70-$140 range that you guys recommend?

NOTE: I can get the Turbines for only $50, so keep that in mind!

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 8
I have the Turbines and love them.  I think you would really enjoy them and they are hard to beat for $50.  I have not heard the S4 but from everything I've read the Turbine is hands down better than the S4 if your a bass head like I am.  Also your comparing a $150 IEM to a $60 IEM.

If I were to replace my Turbine I would go for the Turbine Pro Gold or the Sony EX600. But both of those are much more expensive.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 8
I just made this decision, haha. I went with the Turbines (I got them for $80, so I kind of hate you for finding them for only $50). I'm extremely happy with my decision: the Turbines are incredibly comfortable and I'm getting great sound quality and decent isolation from them. Lows, bass, and percussion are more dynamic and punchy and felt through my whole head in a way that no in-ear I've ever used has managed. I've read far too many negative things about the S4's, mainly about their build quality and how they're rather over-hyped by C-net, which really prompted my decision. Plus, Monster has great customer service (I received an older box of Turbines that had the angled-plug and 2 cases, and therefore did not include the behind-the-ear clips that newer ones include. A five minute phone call was all it took to get them to send me a set of the clips.)

So I would whole-heartedly recommend the Turbines. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
If I were to replace my Turbine I would go for the Turbine Pro Gold or the Sony EX600. But both of those are much more expensive.

This made me laugh. First, I'd go Pro Copper over Pro Gold (the Pro Copper are so beloved I almost shelled out $200 on them, before realizing that would mean not being able to buy literally anything else for several months). The EX600 are also incredibly beloved (particularly here on Head-Fi) and not a whole lot more expensive than the Turbines (if you can find a good deal, or a good coupon for the retailer from which you buy them), so that recommendation makes sense. My decision did come down to those, a pair of Audio-Technicas, and the Turbines. The Klipsch were ruled out rather quickly. The Turbine Pro Coppers were sort of that unobtainable desire that I knew I wasn't going to actually get, haha.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
This made me laugh. First, I'd go Pro Copper over Pro Gold (the Pro Copper are so beloved I almost shelled out $200 on them, before realizing that would mean not being able to buy literally anything else for several months). The EX600 are also incredibly beloved (particularly here on Head-Fi) and not a whole lot more expensive than the Turbines (if you can find a good deal, or a good coupon for the retailer from which you buy them), so that recommendation makes sense. My decision did come down to those, a pair of Audio-Technicas, and the Turbines. The Klipsch were ruled out rather quickly. The Turbine Pro Coppers were sort of that unobtainable desire that I knew I wasn't going to actually get, haha.

Thanks for the info bud :) I'm goin with the Turbines. But the thing is, I've already borrowed my friend's Gold edition of the Turbines and they sounded amazing! But I don't have that kind of money... So I hope these aren't too disappointing after hearing the Golds. :p

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm sure the golds sound excellent, I'm just saying the pair that gets all the love is the Coppers. Like I said, the regular Turbines sound pretty **** nice (I'm currently only a few hours into listening, and including that I'm at maybe 6 hours burn in time, and they sound great). I hope you like them, but buy from someplace with a good return-policy in the event that you hate them!

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Actually...the old turbines are a straight plug.  The new ones are the angled plugs.  Neither of them have over the ear guides...those are only for the pro models even though it states they have it on the box.  Check out the Turbine thread for all of the madness that took place when the headphones were slightly redesigned and the box was STILL wrong.  LOL.  Congrats on your purchase tho...fantastic earphones for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back