Monster Turbines a mistake?
May 3, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LurkerJeff

100+ Head-Fier
Was I expecting to much? Perhaps, often is the case when reading reviews and impressions on here. Anyways, my question is simple: Is it worthwhile returning the Turbines in favor of another pair of IEM's or is this just about the extent of the sound quality at this price point (< $100)?

May 3, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 13
Could just be a really bad case of synergy between your ears and the Turbine's sound signature. I will not give up just yet. 

May 3, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 13
What are some of your issues with the Turbine's sound? Is it too bassy, not enough clarity, or maybe even not enough bass? The Turbines are rather tricky to insert; they have to be at an exact insertion depth or they will lose all bass and/or clarity. If you are having those issues, definitely toy around a bit more with placement and tips.

May 3, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
What are some of your issues with the Turbine's sound? Is it too bassy, not enough clarity, or maybe even not enough bass? The Turbines are rather tricky to insert; they have to be at an exact insertion depth or they will lose all bass and/or clarity. If you are having those issues, definitely toy around a bit more with placement and tips.

x2 about insertion depth.  But I was also not very impressed with the Turbines.  They may possibly be the best headphones for around $100 (and sometimes they are on sale for cheaper) but I couldn't live with their slow and fuzzy nature.  Good soundstage, good full presentation, but too little clarity for me.  I opted for the S4, which is not as good as a headphone in many ways, but certainly has better clarity.

May 3, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the responses. They seem to responding well to my iBasso. Under the "Gain 2" switch the mids are really brought forward. Not sure why I didn't realize this since I use this same setting for my M50's.

May 3, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 13
Right... these weren't really designed to be used with amps in mind. Maybe let them burn in for 50+ hours then listen to them naked before jumping to conclusions. Naked, as in using them without amping. 

May 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 13
I had the Monster Turbines for almost a month - well burned in, used various tips, amped and unamped.  Never liked them and sent them back to Amazon - even though I only payed $58 for them.

Your sound signature preference may be different, but I found the Turbines to be muddy, lacking clarity. Bass was overpowering as well.

May 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I had the Monster Turbines for almost a month - well burned in, used various tips, amped and unamped.  Never liked them and sent them back to Amazon - even though I only payed $58 for them.

Your sound signature preference may be different, but I found the Turbines to be muddy, lacking clarity. Bass was overpowering as well.

Yeah that's what I'm finding, the clarity just isn't there. And though I do like bass, the bass these offer are not as defined as I would have hoped. Any recommendations as to which ones I should swap for my turbines?

May 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 13
Are you looking for bassy headphones?  Generally at that price range you're going to have to give up some clarity for the bass.  You can try Brainwavz m2's or Fischer Audio Eternas, those are priced similarly and are usually pretty good value.

May 3, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:

Yeah that's what I'm finding, the clarity just isn't there. And though I do like bass, the bass these offer are not as defined as I would have hoped. Any recommendations as to which ones I should swap for my turbines?

You'd have to spend quite a bit more money to have a headphone with nice bass and the clarity that you're looking for. I have the Turbine Pro Golds, and I love them. Unfortunately, unless you shell out for a more expensive headphone, you'll have to sacrifice either bass or clarity. Personally, I'd give up a little bit of the bass for clarity. You'd probably find the Brainwavz M2 more enjoyable.

May 3, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
You'd have to spend quite a bit more money to have a headphone with nice bass and the clarity that you're looking for. I have the Turbine Pro Golds, and I love them. Unfortunately, unless you shell out for a more expensive headphone, you'll have to sacrifice either bass or clarity. Personally, I'd give up a little bit of the bass for clarity. You'd probably find the Brainwavz M2 more enjoyable.

Yeah, in this price range the only options, really, are ones that give up bass for clarity - for example, the apple in-ears, RE0 and RE-ZERO.

What is your specific price range, by the way?

May 4, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 13
The Brainwavz M2 look very promising and are considerably cheaper. Being a college student I don't exactly have the means by which to buy a pair of $200+ of headphone. So to answer your question I'm not willing to go too much over $100. All in due time. Again, I thank you all for your responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back