Monster Turbine or V-Moda Remix?
Jan 11, 2011 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

muzikgeek

New Head-Fier
So I'm in the market for a pair of new earphones and I'm torn between these two models. I've seen mixed reviews on both pair and it seems like it is really dependent on the intended use. Now I turn to you, o wise and noble community!

I need something that can deliver the bass found in music like TV on the Radio, Radiohead's Myxomatosis, MGMT, and The Faint (see the song "Erection." I know, I know, but it is the best example of the bass capabilities I want.) For that reason, I'm not sure if the Turbines can deliver the fullness that I crave in the low end.

On the other hand, I also want to experience the rich midranges and highs as well. I want something that will be able to play music like Pixies, Kings of Leon, Modest Mouse, and The Dead Weather without exaggerating the bass and muffling the midrange. From what I've heard this can be a pitfall of the V-Moda Rimixes. 

Will the Turbines satisfy my basslust? Will the Remixes distort my midranges? Any input is appreciated.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
So I'm in the market for a pair of new earphones and I'm torn between these two models. I've seen mixed reviews on both pair and it seems like it is really dependent on the intended use. Now I turn to you, o wise and noble community!

I need something that can deliver the bass found in music like TV on the Radio, Radiohead's Myxomatosis, MGMT, and The Faint (see the song "Erection." I know, I know, but it is the best example of the bass capabilities I want.) For that reason, I'm not sure if the Turbines can deliver the fullness that I crave in the low end.

On the other hand, I also want to experience the rich midranges and highs as well. I want something that will be able to play music like Pixies, Kings of Leon, Modest Mouse, and The Dead Weather without exaggerating the bass and muffling the midrange. From what I've heard this can be a pitfall of the V-Moda Rimixes. 

Will the Turbines satisfy my basslust? Will the Remixes distort my midranges? Any input is appreciated.

for IEM's, turbines are way well north of the bass spectrum

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 9
V-Moda remix $79. Turbines $179 they are simply not worth the price...I bought mine for $58 from amazon.com (actually amazon.com not some ghetto seller through amazon) the turbines sound awesome but are very heavy for in ear and tend to fall out if you are using them while working out or what not. I would suggest the Klipsch S4 they are light and sound amazing. 

V-Moda remix with remote for $60.
http://www.megamacs.com/index.php?action=frameview&id=4566424&d=1

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 9
I am owner of both Turbine and Remix.

I like Remix more, it looks better and it is more durable.  And for the sound Remix is more neutral, at first I think "Remix" means disco sound with heavy bass, in fact the sound is pretty in a well balance.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 9
When I first posted this I was bidding on both items on ebay. I ended up winning the v-moda pair for $45 after s&h. I was nervous bidding on cheap turbines because of how many replicas are out there. That was something I wasn't so nervous about with the v-modas. I think I'll end up being satisfied. My main gripe with IEMs I've owned before is that they couldn't deliver the bass, so we'll see how these do.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, I've done a lot of forum lurking and read enough horror stories about fake turbines. I didn't want to drop $150 on a pair of IEMs no matter how good they sound, let alone dropping $60-$80 on a pair of imitation IEMs that sound like a $5 set. I don't have the most refined eardrums, but I do like to hear some range in my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back