Monster Turbine or Hippo VB for bass?
Apr 10, 2010 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sifka4

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of research on here before I upgrade from my Lenntek Sonix. I want heavy bass in the 30-60 Hz range, and absolutely no ear splitting highs. This will be for an unamped iPod.

I was leaning towards the standard MTs but have read a lot lately about the VBs. Two things scare me about the VBs however: harsh highs and a lack of isolation. I imagine that since the MTs are sealed, they'd have better isolation, and have heard their upper end is not harsh. It looks like strain relief and wire quality might not be so good on the MT on the other hand.

Has anyone heard both of these? When it comes down to it, the one with more bass will be the winner for me.

I appreciate any advice and apologize for yet another "bass" thread on this forum. Please try to keep the discussion to these two IEMs unless you have physically compared something else to these and can say they are better. I'm trying to stay under $100 which would mean finding the MTs on sale if I go that route.

Thanks folks.

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 8
I have both. Been listening to the MT's since July last year. Got the VB's a few days back. Also had the Atrio M5's and the JVC victor 500 at some point. So in effect, I look for the bass heavy phones as well. Music I listen to is varied - all kinds. I like a warmer sound signature in general and for music with beats I like them to really thump.

The MT's are the best overall for clarity of sound as well as bass through the lows, mids and highs. No doubt about that. They are also extremely comfortable.

The VB's have awesome bass. Really awesome. They come with adjustable bass tips and I think the tips with 1 dot results in too much bass while 2 dots are just perfect. the 3 dots make it sound similar to MT's but not as clear.

its a touch choice to make but I would listen to the VB's more over a typical day (walking to school, on my bike, at gym, commuting to work etc.) than the MT's. They are more fun than the MT's. That said, the MT's are definitely more accurate and clear in their sound signature. Before I bought the VB's, the MT's were the best I had heard for comfort and sound.

Hope this helps.

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks so much for the reply. Can you comment on the VBs isolation? I'm in a city setting and while waiting for a subway, passing trains can be deafening. How well do the VBs keep out external noise with the opening in the back from the bass plates?

Also, can you comment on the harshness of the highs others have mentioned of the VBs?

I'm leaning towards the VBs, but if you were to say that the MTs have the same quantity of bass, I'd go the other way. That would eliminate my worry of sharp highs, and would probably provide better isolation from the closed design and multiple tips.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 8
The VB's are fine for isolation. I don't have any problems with them. That said, I haven't waited at a subway station with the VB's but I have with the MT's and they are fine. The VB's have a similar fit (for me) and so I don't think it will be a problem. I also upgraded the tips to the comply T400 which increase the overall bass as well as provide a much better seal and fit.

I didn't notice this harshness of highs that the others have mentioned.

You could change the tips of the MT's to comply T400's and get the same (or practically same) amount of bass as the VB's.. unless you need extreme bass which the VB's can provide and the MT's will not be able to. As I said earlier, before the VB's, the MT's were my favorite by far. I had that aha moment as soon as I heard the sound from them.

All said, I would get the VB's. I know there is a lot of conflicting information, but the two are very close and there's not much to separate them.

Feel free to ask more questions. I know what it feels like trying to make the right decision and am glad to help.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Again, thank you. If the MTs were the same price as the VBs, I think I'd have a harder decision. I know the MTs sometimes go on sale, but I don't know if I feel like waiting.

I like how people with the VBs say the one dot plate has too much bass. That right there is stiffy inducing. If you say ill be good on iso, ill go with VBs. If someone is talking next to you with the VBs in, can you hear them?

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I got the MT's for $105 at macmall. Try there but I don't know if they still stock them (macmall.com)..

About the one dot - Exactly how I think. It feels good to know that there are still more gears left in the VB even with the bass just the way I like it
smily_headphones1.gif
).. I have been in gym with my VB's (with both the comply tips and also with the original tips) running on the treadmill, a guy next to me on a treadmill as well, 3 ergs going, cycling machine, people lifting weights AND the gym's music system going (its not deafeningly loud but pretty loud) and I haven't heard a thing except my music.

I would recommend different tips for the VB's if you have sensitive ears like me(foam is nice) because the original silicone ones hurt me after a while. But I have changed tips of every headphone (including the MT's
wink.gif
) to comply.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 8
Great Review! I find this threat very useful indeed.
I just got the VB about a week ago and LOVING it!
First test at Jaben..WHOA!! Blown away and love at first listen! haha 
So so much diff from my CX500.
I also bought the Denon AH-C560R for the wifey.. hehe
Anyway i just have a few enquiries to ask.

- Which tips do you think is the best for the VB?
  presently i am just using the medium silicon. I have tested the Comply but keeping it as reserves..haha.
- Does the Monster Triple Flange Tips fits VB? If so which ones and how does it sound?
- Are you using any amps for your setup? If so what would you recommend for the VB? ( just wondering )

The VB,  i can safely say gives good THUMPS to my PsyTrance and Dark music.
I am no AudioPhil..just someone who rocks to his music and enjoys music very much.
I MUST have THUMPS in the LOWS and adequate highs are ok with me as long as its not drowned by the LOWs.
I would love a bigger soundstage tho! hehe
Well hope to get great advices.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Great Review! I find this threat very useful indeed.
I just got the VB about a week ago and LOVING it!
First test at Jaben..WHOA!! Blown away and love at first listen! haha 
So so much diff from my CX500.
I also bought the Denon AH-C560R for the wifey.. hehe
Anyway i just have a few enquiries to ask.

- Which tips do you think is the best for the VB?
  presently i am just using the medium silicon. I have tested the Comply but keeping it as reserves..haha.
- Does the Monster Triple Flange Tips fits VB? If so which ones and how does it sound?
- Are you using any amps for your setup? If so what would you recommend for the VB? ( just wondering )

The VB,  i can safely say gives good THUMPS to my PsyTrance and Dark music.
I am no AudioPhil..just someone who rocks to his music and enjoys music very much.
I MUST have THUMPS in the LOWS and adequate highs are ok with me as long as its not drowned by the LOWs.
I would love a bigger soundstage tho! hehe
Well hope to get great advices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back