Monster Turbine (Gold) modelled after Remington Golden Saber (185gr. 45ACP HPJ)
Jun 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wdahm519

500+ Head-Fier
So, I stopped by Dunhams on the way home from work today to get some 45ACP ammo, as it was my first day carrying with a CPL and I needed some "cheap" hollow points to use until my online order came in.  I got kind of lucky at Dunhams and copped the last box of Remington Golden Saber 45ACP (HPJ defensive rounds).  When I opened the box I noticed how closely they looked like Monster Turbine earbuds.  I'm pretty sure this is the exact round that was modeled when Monster designed these IEM's.  

Here are the Rem. Golden Saber rounds:

And here is the Monster Turbines:

At least to my eyes, the resemblance is uncanny.

EDIT:  I realize their resemblance has probably been brought up before (maybe not by specific model though...?)  In any case, if this was pre-released information by Monster or someone else, I've missed it.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 16
They are called "Turbines." 

They were not modelled after a hollow point. They were modelled after something like this:

And yes, that  is known as a "Turbine."

Also the original turbines were not gold. They were black. 

The Gold Turbines were modelled after the original black turbines. 

So... no. I would have to disagree.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 16
I realize they were called turbines, and I'm quite familiar with turbines as I'm a Mechanical Engineering student with a focus on Fluid Dynamics... however just because they're named something doesn't mean their manager didn't go "Hey those look like turbines" after the artist sketched his favorite home defense round...

The point is, they sure don't look like turbines, and especially not very much like some sort of mythical CAD drawing of "turbine meets wind energy generator".

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 16
When I told parents and friends about them I would say they "look like bullets sort of" and then my friend saw them and said "They look like Monster plugs" and then I realized that they were just modeled after their plugs.  But I agree they sort of have a bullet feel.

Before you ask I had to describe them to my parents becuase I wanted them as my Christmas present and friends discussing them before showing them.

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Aren't dumdum's just old hollow points?  They're still very much used.  I carry them everyday.  The whole tissue damage thing is kind of the idea... the whole stop the attacker thing, eliminate the threat.  You always shoot (if you absolutely HAVE TO) to stop the threat, never to kill.

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 16
Well, dumdum is a generic term for expanding bullets, either a soft-point, a hollow-point or (by God please no) an exploding bullet. It was banned by the... Hague? For causing abnormal, excessive and inhumane tissue damage that is extremely difficult to operate on. The expanded and fragmented bullet would tumble inside the human body, the victim would have massive organ damage and internal bleeding and the doctor would sometimes watch him die.
Also I just reviewed some information. Aside from NJ expanding bullets are not banned in the US. Carry on, good sir.

PS. May I ask, does 50AE have much more recoil than the 45ACP?

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:

PS. May I ask, does 50AE have much more recoil than the 45ACP?

Standard 50AE is somewhere in the low 300's for grain count.  Normal  45ACP is 225 grain count.  You'll feel that extra power in the recoil.  Its fun as a range gun but impractical for carry due to the excessive size.  Its not like "manageable" versus "HOLY HELL", but its not comfortable.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 16
That has me asking. What is the core meaning of having 50AE (and 50cal pistols for that matter) besides getting shots off down at the range? Too big for "carrying around" and probably too small for the hunting.

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
That has me asking. What is the core meaning of having 50AE (and 50cal pistols for that matter) besides getting shots off down at the range? Too big for "carrying around" and probably too small for the hunting.

So first off, 50AE is the pistol round, and 50BMG is the rifle round.  They are VERY different, enourmously different in fact.  50BMG was designed for the Browning 50 cal machine gun back in the early 1900's.  Today its used as a tactical round for military snipers, and to the consumer costs about $50 for 10 rounds.  I have a friend who has two 50BMG rifles (Barret rifles) and we rarely shoot them because they're so expensive.  Its a sportsmen's round, one of those "cool things to have".  It has zero practicality.

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I do not confuse the 50AE with the 50BMG, sir. So zero practicality, there we go.
M82 is an anti-material rifle... Many paperwork to fill out for getting that?

Yeah okay, I read your previous post incorrectly.  I see what you were asking now.  But same applies, its a sporting handgun, and has no usefulness.  In Michigan, the M82 is pretty simple to obtain.  It only takes the will to go buy one.  My friend has an M82 and an M99.  He and I are both CPL holders though, so its a little easier for us to get guns, since the state trusts us to carry a gun on our person daily.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back