Monster Turbine Driver Popping/Uneven
Aug 6, 2010 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ravine

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've recently purchashed some Monster Turbines from Amazon. Got them about 3 days ago and ever since i just got them, i've been using the tri-flange tips large and they always pop when i put them in my ear which i assume means that the driver cone is warping as it's going in due to the air pressure. I occassionally have to tap the left earpiece to get it to unwarp before it sounds normal. Is this normal? Also, my other problem is that the right earpiece has never sounded normal and has noticeabley less bass than the left one. 

Any remedies to this problem or should I just return them back to Monster?

Cheers

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 8
The snap, crackle and pop is pretty normal.  As for tapping to unwarp a driver or channel imbalance, no thats not normal.  

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 8
I get the air trapped in the right driver when i put my coppers in my ears , moving that side in and out of my ear very fast releases the air pressure trapped around the driver and the sound is the same for both ears 
popcorn.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 8
I had this same issue with my first set of MTPGs.  To me, once I got my left driver un popped, it seemed to have a different frequency response.  I felt that probably the voice coil was coming out of the gap and getting stuck on the magnets.  When you wiggle it, it gets unstuck and moves back into place with a pop.  This is undoubtedly stretching the diaphragm, leaving it with a different stiffness than the other driver.  I exchanged for one which didn't do this.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
The snap, crackle and pop is pretty normal.

Is it normal if that happens only to one of the ear buds?

In my case only the right ear bud (brand new Coppers)

makes a sound that resembles striking a string, like a pop.

Actually, I guess that is exactly what lucozade
explains in his post:

Quote:
I get the air trapped in the right driver when i put my coppers in my ears , moving that side in and out of my ear very fast releases the air pressure trapped around the driver and the sound is the same for both ears 
popcorn.gif

All this makes me think that this is some kind of "feature"
     in order to make sure that the listener is going to get even
     sound from both buds. But if that happens to only one of
     the ear buds it doesn't make sense... actually it makes
     sense if that happens either to the right or left one in
     order to check whether the seal is proper and whether
     the left/right bud is in the left/right ear (in addition to the
     L/R and the blue/red colors...). But that's too much guessing...

In addition IpodHappy shares:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpodHappy

I had this same issue with my first set of MTPGs.  To me, once I got my left driver un popped, it seemed to have a different frequency response.  I felt that probably the voice coil was coming out of the gap and getting stuck on the magnets.  When you wiggle it, it gets unstuck and moves back into place with a pop.  This is undoubtedly stretching the diaphragm, leaving it with a different stiffness than the other driver.  I exchanged for one which didn't do this.

At the end I wonder is it a "feature" or a defect...

Update: I suppose I found the answer to the issue under "driver flex".
                  Anyways the subject is open to further discussion since
                  some say that it is harmless to the IEM while others experience
                  quite the opposite -
                  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491771/new-pair-maximo-im-590-crackling-noise-on-the-left-side

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 8
I bought a set of Golds and they are on their way back for a refund.  There was clearly less bass on the right side.  No it was not a seal issue because the problem was independent of tip choice and which ear it was placed in.

I was actually pretty disappointed in mine, I expected them to be bass monsters like everyone seems to claim.  My $20 Lenntek Sonix from QVC hit harder and go lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back