Monster Pro Gold Turbine falling apart
May 18, 2015 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eddo

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

First of all, this is my very first post and I've always relied on reviews here before purchasing a product but never thought of creating an account. But I've finally given in because I need help!

I bought my Monster Pro Gold Turbine earphones around beginning of December 2010 and it was my first expensive earphones. One of the reasons why I chose this product was because of its lifetime warranty. I was overall satisfied with the sound quality, and also the design of it(at that time). I never used it heavily, probably only 3-4 times a month maybe.

I moved back to my native country Malaysia after my education in Canada late 2011. After coming back, I used my earphones even less(probably once a month or two) but somehow it magically started falling apart.

First, the rubber part under the earbuds came loose, which isn't supposed to happen I would think? But it did not affect the sound quality so I didn't bother. 

A few months later the rubber wrapped cable started to get sticky and the gold colour started to come off. They were kept in the pouch whenever not in use and guess what? The suede of the pouch started coming off too. I don't think these were supposed to happen at all considering that the product costs a whooping $329.00 before tax.

I've been busy and did not bother contacting Monster about this since there was a lifetime warranty on it so I can just do it anytime. It's been 3 year since the monstrous fall apart(hehe) and I've finally written to them last week. I just got back an email from them saying that they will replace my product with something of similar price as the Gold Turbine is surprisingly discontinued. There goes my lifetime warranty!

I went on to check their products in attempt to find another earphone that is of similar price but guess what? Nothing could be found! Everthing was under $300.

So my question is, how am I supposed to settle this problem? If no refunds are available, what products are recommended to replace my soon to be non-existent "lifetime" warranty product? There is nothing within the price of the Gold Turbine on their site!

Thank you and sorry for the short rant.

May 19, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 7
Im no so familiar with monster, but how about their ncredible ntunes (i think) series? My friend got that and it looked pretty decent. And btw, in from myanmar (perhaps youve heard of it..?) And i thought i wouldnt find a student-audiophile-SE asian here on HF so, yeah... nice to meet u

May 19, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 7
Im no so familiar with monster, but how about their ncredible ntunes (i think) series? My friend got that and it looked pretty decent. And btw, in from myanmar (perhaps youve heard of it..?) And i thought i wouldnt find a student-audiophile-SE asian here on HF so, yeah... nice to meet u

Nice to meet you too! Yes I have had classmates from Myanmar in my university! 

The N-Tune series cannot be price matched with my product, as they are only $99.90. I was looking at the Monster Inspiration Active Noise cancelling headphone as they are the closest price comparison to the Gold Turbine but I'm not too sure if it's worth the switch?

May 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi @eddo!

If you're considering the Monster Inspiration as a replacement, I know @jude wrote about the Inspiration in the Head-Fi Buying Guide, and you can find that entry here. It might help you decide if the Inspiration might be a good fit for your ears. If Monster is allowing you to replace with a similarly priced headphone, you may want to also check out the DNA or DNA Pro. (You can click that link for the Guide entry to see either of those might suit your needs as well.)

Good luck with your warranty replacement, and definitely post updates on this! I hope the replacement goes well!

May 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 7
  Hi @eddo!

If you're considering the Monster Inspiration as a replacement, I know @jude wrote about the Inspiration in the Head-Fi Buying Guide, and you can find that entry here. It might help you decide if the Inspiration might be a good fit for your ears. If Monster is allowing you to replace with a similarly priced headphone, you may want to also check out the DNA or DNA Pro. (You can click that link for the Guide entry to see either of those might suit your needs as well.)

Good luck with your warranty replacement, and definitely post updates on this! I hope the replacement goes well!

Hello @joe!

Thank you for the information! I will certainly be doing more researches on both the suggested headphones.

The support team has been really slow on replying my emails; it takes about 2-3 days for a reply! So I hope all will go well and I will definitely keep this thread updated! :) 

May 19, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Hi im currently going through the process in the uk. Mine were the turbine coppers. But monster have told me i can pick multiple items from there website upto the value i paid which was 350 pounds. Think i may go for the inspirations and just pick anything with a resale value for the other 100 pounds

May 20, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi im currently going through the process in the uk. Mine were the turbine coppers. But monster have told me i can pick multiple items from there website upto the value i paid which was 350 pounds. Think i may go for the inspirations and just pick anything with a resale value for the other 100 pounds

Hello there!

Did yours have the same problem of it slowly falling apart too? I thought I was the only one.

Hope your replacement goes well and keep us updated if you can thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back