Monster Power
Nov 21, 2002 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

darkclouds

Particular about his Sméagol Grammar we thinks he is.
I've been having problems with my AES AE-3 preamp regarding hum.

With a MP HTS-3500, I didn't think I'd have a problem with getting some decent juice and protection for my equipment.

I had aquired an AE-3 several weeks ago and couldn't figure out why it was making all this noise. Headphone listening was just unbearable. I've tried several different suggestions which included moving my equipment around, changing tubes (RCA redbase 5692), and using the "cheater" plug for ground loop problems. None of it help. Someone suggested that I should plug the pre into a different outlet than the rest of the system, meaning to unplug it from the HTS3500. For whatever reason, I was completely confident that it was better to leave it plugged into the 3500... until several minutes ago.

Guess what? No more hum. Absolute silence without the 3500. Prior to the AE-3 (was using SHA-1 as a pre), I had thought my system sounded better, clearer and cleaner with the 3500 (compared to the generic/triplite powerstrip).

So, what gives? Wasn't the Monster Power series made to deal with this kind of AC power problems?

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 7
What other component was plugged in in the outlet above/below your pre-amp? Whatever it was, it was in the same circuit and causing the hum. Did you try plugging the pre-amp into a different outlet to the left or right of its current position on the Monster?

Mark

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 7
The hum was coming from my speakers/headphones, and hum/whine was emanating from the AE-3 itself.

I tried moving it to a different outlet on the Monster and the whine from the unit decreased, but still noticeable . The hum from the speakers/headphones remained.

I have my VPI HW19 plugged into the one of the two analog outlets and the other for the AE-3. I also have a 555ES plugged in (to the digital outlet) as well as the power amp and a tuner.

I'll try some of the other outlets on the Monster and see.

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 7
Ok, I've tried all of the different outlets on the Monster. It seems

that my amp, ASL 1005DTI, has to be separated from the AE-3.

Since the amp is more expensive to replace, I'll leave it plugged

into the Monster.

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 7
I also had a hum problem a while back that was solved by simply changing where I plugged the components into the Monster, glad it worked for you, too!

You're certainly better off with your components plugged into the Monster than not with the surge protection let alone power conditioning. Just remember, vertically-speaking, each of the two possible components you can plug in are sharing the same circuit without separation. You need to move them to the left or right to get them separated.

Mark

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 7
I guess I wasn't clear.

The AE-3 has to be completely separated from the amp, ie a different wall receptacle.

The amp is still plugged into the Monster, with the AE3 plugged into a separate wall receptacle from everything else.

Switching outlets within the Monster unit itself did not help.

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 7
If your equipment has a three prong plug, (most high end gear does) you can try a "cheater" plug adapter to lift the grounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back